Friday, February 28, 2020

Ultra Sound, Tip, Peeve, Coffee Maker,

Up early to go for an ultrasound this morning.I was planning to leave at 8:15 us as the roads were white. When he got up, Matt said he wasn't coming. About half an hour before I was due to leave he changed his mind. In the end he didn't come but I think he was a little confused. I had taken a sandwich with me as I had a 4 hour fast, didn't eat since last night's supper in fact. I had my ultra sound and then awaited the surgeon whilst munching on my sandwich. He came in quicker than I expected. I think he was a little disconcerted that I was eating. I stopped. The upshot is he wanted me to have a CT scan now. I guess he wasn't used to patients munching away. I explained about the fast. His receptionist had said "well it's only a four hour fast" well she may eat breakfast at 5 but I don't.

I have just read an excellent tip on World Wide Recipes. One of their readers said she keeps an old pair of glasses for the kitchen so her new ones remain unsplattered when frying etc. It would also work when chopping onions which I find splatters my glasses. Now where are my old glasses?

A current feature in WW Recipes is "pet peeves" - mine is the fact that recipe writers add Feta cheese to a recipe and call it Greek or Pineapple and call it Hawaiian. These additions do not make the recipe something which would be found in those Geographical areas. I've never been to Hawaii itself, but I have certainly spent some weeks in Greece and feta does not appear in every dish served. In fact very few dishes in my experience. Not only that there are distinct regional differences so that nothing you get is really typically Greek but typically from whatever area you happen to be in. That, of course, applies all over the Mediterranean.

Well, that'll larn me. I ordered a coffee pot from Walmart on Sunday night in the mistaken assumption I could pick it up Monday. It still hasn't arrived. This morning I gave up and ordered one from Amazon which will arrive tomorrow. Should have done that in the first place. I might still accept the Walmart one - no I won't, if I need another one I always have the Instant Pot, not the best coffee in the world, but not bad either.

Apologise for any mistakes, not in a great mood, just had a real Alzheimer evening.

Here is a recipe I thought interesting.

Instant Pot Chicken Thighs With Balsamic Sauce

2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs
1 medium-sized carrot diced
1/4 onion diced
3 cloves garlic minced
1/4 cup red wine
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1/2 Tbs olive oil
1/2 Tbs butter
salt and pepper

1. Pat chicken thighs dry with paper towels. Generously season on both sides with salt and pepper.

2. Select the saute mode on the pressure cooker for medium heat. Add olive oil to coat the bottom of the pot. Melt butter on top of the oil.

3. When the display reads HOT, work in 2-3 batches to add chicken thighs to the pot in a single layer. Don’t crowd them. Cook for a few minutes on each side before transferring to a plate. Repeat for the remaining thighs.

4. Add carrots, onions, and garlic. Cook for a few minutes, stirring frequently. Turn off the saute mode.

5. Add red wine and balsamic vinegar. Stir together, loosening any flavorful brown bits stuck to the bottom of the pot.

6. Return all chicken thighs to the pot in a single layer, placing them snugly on top of the carrots and onions. Secure and seal the lid. Cook for 10 minutes at high pressure followed by a manual pressure release.

7. Uncover and turn on the saute mode. Let the liquid boil for about 5 minutes to thicken into a slightly sticky sauce. You don’t need to stir or touch the chicken.

8. Turn off the saute mode. Serve chicken onto plates and pour sauce on top.

Servings: 3

Source: Savory Tooth

Have a great day
 

8 comments:

  1. A four hour fast is just like the regular interval between meals. The twelve hour fasts when going for bloodwork is a different matter entirely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I know David, but in this case, I would have had to have breakfast at 5 a.m.

      Delete
  2. I've really only seen feta cheese on salads.

    We're still toying with getting an insta pot. I just have to make sure I'd use it often enough. And can find a place for it to sit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see recipes all the time Diane and feta is used indiscriminately to make it "Greek".

      Ivy, the Happy Whisk, has two and she doesn't eat a lot of what I would eat. Mind you she, like ladydog, uses it to make dog food too. If you makes soups it is great for that. Not sure about vegan or vegetarian cookery generally. There are hundreds of recipes on the internet. If you searched for vegan you should find quite a few in that category. Finding a place for it to sit is important. If you have to store it in a cupboard, you won't use it.

      Delete
  3. I agree with you about feta. Feta cheese does not make a Greek recipe. And don't get me started on the Hawaii/pineapple thing.
    Sigh on the blood work.
    I hope the CT scan goes well and that your day is much, much better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Alzheimer’s episodes will increase unfortunately. I keep a set of my old glasses at work just I. Case I forget my newer pair which needs an update now. I hope you had an ok. Weekend...too short for me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately as you say. I had forgotten about the glasses already. Who is having memory problems?? I actually find weekends boring very often but then I am not working.

      Delete