Monday, March 2, 2020

Travel League, Bananas. Watch, Supper.

It occurred to me, over the weekend, that I had completely forgotten that on Thursday, being the last Thursday of the month, the Travel League were meeting for lunch and then going bowling. Mind you, by the time I had plowed my way home after my ultra sound with all the blowing snow, etc. I don't think we would have bothered anyway. Just wasn't worth it on such a lousy day.

This morning, needing bananas, I went to Victoria St. Market and was horrified to find them closed. Can't believe it. Didn't think they ever closed. They are normally open on Sunday so they must have been doing inventory or something. No idea. However, went to the nearest convenience store and picked up 3 there. I need them for cramps so Matt goes without for a couple of days unless I can pick up some more tomorrow.

A friend just sent me some pictures of POTUS - his head on a child's body. Quite funny, but somebody commented they wanted to hunt the people who did this!!

I was trying to find out if my smart watch will automatically change to summer time next weekend. Can't definitely say, but apparently other watches do so I assume mine will. Hope so. I am surprised how many steps I walk in a day, many more than I would have guessed, but no way as many as I ought but then I can't walk far without pain anyway, so I will never complete the recommended amount of steps.

I frequently use a recipe for my Instant Pot from Urvashi at Two Sleevers for Butter Chicken which ladydog put me on to. It is absolutely delicious but we always end up with a lot of sauce so, tonight, being brilliant (so modest) I made a dish which my dad used to make a lot called Kedgeree. Basically rice and smoked haddock with lots of butter. Tonight I used my leftover sauce and it was, as I thought, delicious. Hm, I had never really gone through his recipes, I have seen lots of delicious chicken recipes I have got to try. Tell you what happens.

This is the original recipe from my dad.

Kedgeree

Per Person
1/2 cup cooked riceKedgeree
1 fillet smoked haddock - cooked (in milk)
1 hard cooked egg
butter

In a non stick pan add butter to the cooked rice and stir til well incorporated. I like lots of butter, but these days try not to add as much because of health considerations. Then flake the haddock and add to the pan, mixing rice and fish together. Plate the fish. Meanwhile slice the hard cooked egg and remove the yolk. Decorate the rice with sliced egg white and sieve the yolk grated over the top. Serve immediately. It looks very pretty with the sieved egg yolk.

Instead of the butter, I added the sauce from the butter chicken. It was great. Of course you have to have the Instant Pot to a) cook the butter chicken and b) cook the rice, unless, of course, you have a rice cooker.

Have a great day
 

16 comments:

  1. I remember kedgeree. My mother made it and I hadn't thought about it in years - thanks for the reminder.
    My (smarter than me) phone adjusts happily to daylight saving so I suspect your watch will too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is difficult getting smoked haddock here and that is the only fish I like in kedgeree. I have tried salmon and don't enjoy it.

      Good Sue, thanks for telling me.

      Delete
  2. Hi Jo - hope the weather improves soon ... and all will be well during the week. I love kedgeree - haven't had it or made it for ages - perhaps I'll do some soon; treacle tart has just hit my eyes for a brief talk tomorrow ... so on to very gungy sweet things - but I do love fish. Cheers and take care - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's raining now Hilary. Treacle tart, that is another thing I haven't had in years. My mother used to make it and I loved it. Of course without Lyle's Golden Syrup it wouldn't be the same.

      Delete
  3. Going to be 50 degrees F here today so maybe some snow will melt. Someone gave me one of those step trackers years ago to wear. I discovered that it added steps even when I was moving in a chair. Our idiot-in-chief has no sense and neither do his followers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 4°C and rain here Denise. I wonder if mine is doing that? A friend from NC has been burning my ears with what she thinks of your idiot-in-chief.

      Delete
    2. 'Don't Blame me. I Voted for Hillary'.

      Delete
    3. I think she would have made a good President Denise.

      Delete
  4. If your watch changes to summer time, Jo, it is definitely not working since the spring solstice is coming up, not summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well daylight savings then David, which is next weekend. It's spring I long for, about the end of April, beginning of May. I will then be haunting Barrie's asparagus for a couple of months.

      Delete
  5. Your watch should change time all on its own. Otherwise it's not very smart!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh man...the change is coming already!? I hate that. I would assume your watch will change automatically. Bananas are a great source for potassium and other nutrients which help charley horses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, next weekend Birgit.

      I like bananas too and as you say, good for cramps.

      Delete
  7. Good reminder about the bananas. We were eating them everyday, then quit cause someone said to cut down on carbs. Just told my hubby maybe that's why his cramps are back. Bananas are back on the grocery list! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find bananas help a lot Yolanda. I am not surprised your hubby got cramps again if you cut them out. Potatoes too have a lot of potassium but if you are worried about carbs..... Much better to have a balanced diet including some of everything INMHOP

      Delete