Monday, February 10, 2020

Human +. Jane Austen,

I have been watching a series on TVO, a local channel with no ads. It is called Human +. Basically they have been talking about individual senses, first touch, then sight, not sure of the order now, but smell and taste last week and what can and is being done for people who have lost one of these senses. Tonight, there was a segment about an artist who paints the most incredible pictures although he is blind. He can sense what he is painting with his fingers and even knows the texture of different colours by feel. He also paints huge murals for people. His work is selling very well. Then there was another guy who is also blind and who has climbed every mountain worth climbing, including Everest, done rock climbing and shot rapids in a canoe. There was also a singer who is deaf but performs and composes music. People achieving the most incredible things despite the loss of a sense. It was said that the brain, which is the most incredible thing anyway, will reorganise everything to deal with the loss of a sense. That made me wonder what has my brain done to compensate for my loss of the sense of smell. I would love to go to a laboratory to find out. The link above takes you to the programme I saw tonight. I can't recommend the series highly enough.

Then we watched, well I did, Sanditon which is the unfinished work of Jane Austen which has been finished by someone, sorry don't know who, and made into a series which I am thoroughly enjoying. I have always loved Jane Austen's books. I have just discovered there is one I was unfamiliar with, Persuasion, I will have to get hold of that. I wonder why I have never read it.

I tried out one new recipe for Brussels Sprouts in the Instant Pot. It wasn't bad. I added the "or leek" and that's what I used. We had ham steaks with it.

Instant Pot Roasted Brussels Sprouts

"Try these crispy roasted Brussels sprouts made in just 5 minutes in your Instant Pot®; they're a
quick and easy low-carb side dish that's family-friendly."

2 Tbs olive oil
1 onion, chopped (or leek)
1 lb whole Brussels sprouts
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1/2 cup vegetable broth

1. Turn on Instant Pot and select Saute function. Heat olive oil and cook onion until translucent, about 2 minutes. Add Brussels sprouts and cook for 1 minute more. Sprinkle with salt and pepper; pour vegetable broth over Brussels sprouts. Close and lock the lid. Select high pressure according to manufacturer's instructions; set timer for 3 minutes. Allow 10 to 15 minutes for pressure to build.

2. Release pressure carefully using the quick-release method according to manufacturer's instructions, about 5 minutes. Unlock and remove lid.

Servings: 4

Author: Fioa

Have a great day
 

14 comments:

  1. I like Jane Austen's work too, though her very first work 'The Young Visiters' (sic) is not to my taste. She was however very young at the time.
    My mother boiled brussel sprouts to a nasty grey mush. I know it was the cooking rather than the vegetable but I just can't face them. Bless her heart, years later she told me that I couldn't be a vegetarian because I don't like brussel sprouts. She was wrong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that's another book I don't recall ever hearing about Sue.

      Matt's mom was like that, my mother, luckily, was a brilliant cook and could prepare anything well. With the result that about the only thing I don't like is squid.

      Delete
  2. Several years ago I saw percussionist Evelyn Glennie perform with the Detroit Symphony. It was amazing as she has been profoundly deaf since the age of twelve. Did not know you had lost your sense of smell. I know many seniors who are hard of hearing and have lost their sense of taste - for food not clothes, lol.
    I only roast Brussels sprouts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is amazing, an amazing programme too Denise, work watching. I lost my sense of smell about 30 years ago. I am a little hard of hearing but not that much.

      I have always cooked them in boiling salted water until they are just tender. Mushy, yuk.

      Delete
  3. I really enjoy Brussel Sprouts, but my wife no so much. The only way she will eat them is when I roast a whole tray of vegetables drizzled with a mixture of maple syrup and butter. Even then I think she eats them grudgingly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pity David, they are so good for you too. I have a friend who won't eat anything green. In season I live at Barrie's Asparagus in New Dundee, are you aware of them? I am a total fanatic about asparagus.

      Delete
    2. Wrong about New Dundee I think, technically Cambridge. Can't remember and it says Cambridge on Google.

      Delete
    3. I do know of Barrie's and I always think of the store as being in New Dundee. You are right about the nutritional value of Brussel sprouts, but we also eat kale, bok choy, cabbage broccoli etc so we get lots of the positive values of dark green vegetables.

      Delete
  4. The brain and other senses can compensate for one that is missing. I remember a singer on AGT who was almost completely deaf - and an amazing singer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's incredible isn't it Alex? They had a singer on the programme last night who was also deaf and sang beautifully. However, I was most impressed by the blind man who climbed mountains.

      Delete
  5. My sense of smell and taste suffer, due to medications. Makes eating joyless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had that problem in hospital Yolanda, but the food was pretty awful anyway, Luckily I can enjoy a lot of tastes nowadays and even though I can't smell it I enjoy my food, too much perhaps.

      Delete
  6. Interesting program! It is great how our bodies can compensate if we lose that sense. Not comparing ourselves to dogs, but our dog when he went blind was totally able to maneuver around the house (as long as things stayed in the order that they were).

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, blindness can be overcome by animals and humans Betty. Incredible really.

      Delete