Saturday, February 22, 2020

Comments, Weather, Supper

Well there was no Spam today, so maybe it has finished for a while. I can but hope. I don't really like comment moderation although some people use it all the time.

Right now the wind is whistling around this building and when that happens it is often difficult to get the apartment warm enough. I often end up in bed with bed socks and extra clothing as well as extra covers when it is like this. Mind you I went out shopping this afternoon and it was very, very cold. Quite enough to give a brass monkey trouble. I went to Victoria St. Market (and controlled myself) then I decided to go to the LCBO (liquor store) up the same road, Victoria St. would you believe. However, it turned out that there were some road works between me and the LCBO which had caused a traffic snarl up like you never see in Kitchener. Like some others, I turned round to go to another store and ended up on a road with masses of cars going each way. Took me a while to get past. Once I did, there were very few cars. The store I went to is somewhat bigger and is totally exposed to the weather, the wind whistles around the building as there is nothing to stop it. I don't like going to this store so much because it means more walking for me, painful to say the least. I usually get a "carry out" and the young man who did so was wearing a short sleeved shirt, he put on a vest in orange and yellow and came out to the car. He must have frozen to death. I froze in a coat. Coldest it's been in a while I think, or it certainly feels that way with the bitter wind.

You remember that Tomato Coconut soup I made the other night? Well I had leftovers of course so tonight I used it as a sauce for shrimp. It was absolutely delicious. I sautéed the shrimp in olive oil and then poured the soup over it.  I had rice from the night before and I chucked a few snow peas in the Instant Pot. It was delicious. I still have some soup left. I should have taken a picture shouldn't I?

This is a simple little recipe if you are entertaining or even if you're not.

Provençale Tarts

For a fast, fancy edge, use a fluted pastry wheel to cut the puff pastry for these elegant cheese first-
course appetizers.

1 17.3-ounce package frozen puff pastry (1 sheet)
2/3 cup purchased tapenade
16 cherry tomatoes, quartered
1 8-ounce package crumbled feta cheese
Fresh herb sprigs (optional)

1. Thaw puff pastry according to package directions. Cut into sixteen 2-1/2-inch squares. Place each square in a 2-1/2-inch muffin cup. Place about 1 teaspoon of the tapenade on each square. Top with two cherry tomato quarters and some of the feta cheese.

2. Bake in a 425 degree F oven for 12 to 15 minutes or until pastry is puffed and golden brown. Remove from muffin cups. Garnish with fresh herb sprigs, if desired. Serve warm. Makes 16 appetizer servings.

Servings: 32

Source: Better Homes and Gardens


Have a great day

 

6 comments:

  1. No spam is a bonus. I got a HEAP of it for a bit, and am now back to one or two a day. Which I can live with.
    Those tarts sound good. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I mostly haven't had a problem until this last week Sue.

      They do sound good, gotta get me some puff pastry.

      Delete
  2. It has been cold the past couple of days, so I hope that whatever you got at the liquor store helped to warm you up or to ignore it! We have two grandchildren staying with us for a couple of days and yesterday they wanted to go to the local all you can eat sushi place for lunch. Those places are getting expensive,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right David, it has been cold and the wind was really whipping around our building last night although by midnight it had disappeared. And yes, Scotch and Gin.

      Never been to one, but sushi has always been expensive. Even in the stores. However, Mandarin does sushi so I can satisfy myself with Chinese and Japanese at one hit.

      Delete
  3. Hi Jo - hope you're managing to keep warm. Take care - Hilary

    ReplyDelete