Monday, February 17, 2020

Weekend, Radio, Fear of Flying, Family Day,

Basically a quiet weekend with a bit of cooking thrown in. Saturday night I cooked pork chops - hadn't had any for a while. I can buy two pork tenderloins for less than two pork chops. I wanted them broiled but Matt always says they are too tough so I baked them in a sauce. Good, but not the same taste as broiled.

We had to switch radio stations because the local one was playing horrid stuff - to me anyway - and had fired at least one DJ who played my kind of music. Found another but this morning, Sunday, they are playing all kinds of weird stuff. I hope it's only one programme. We shall see. The rest of the day turned out OK.

My ex husband was afraid of flying and the guy in the office at our garage is terrified of it. I see British Airways are running a one day course on how to overcome your fear of flying. My first husband used to get blotto when he had to fly, but in the end the doctor gave him, what he called "happy pills" which enabled him to fly with confidence. Don't know what they were.

Like an idiot I was all prepped up to go bowling tomorrow (Monday) when I heard somebody on the radio mention Family Day. It had slipped my mind that the bowling alley will be closed as they are every year on this day and that it is a holiday. It is a holiday which has been introduced since we first came to Canada, it was celebrated into Ontario in 2012. Funny, I thought it was earlier than that, whilst we were in the States. It was first observed in Alberta in 1990. I knew it was President's Day tomorrow and had it in the back of my mind that it was a holiday here too but completely forgot it.

Just watched Sanditon and I am in a fever of anticipation as to whether Sidney Parker is going to ask Miss Hayward to marry him or not. If so, I am rather sorry for the other young man who is in love with her.

I love French Onion Soup but haven't made it in years. This is a different take on the usual recipe and sounds rather good.

Gratinée des Halles

Andrew Zimmern’s take on French onion soup—bright with sherry vinegar and thick with onions—is
a perfect, buttery version of the classic.

2 Tbs extra-virgin olive oil
2 large onions, halved and thinly sliced (7 cups)
2 leeks, whites and light green parts only, thinly sliced
1 cup thinly sliced shallots (2 large)
Kosher salt
5 garlic cloves, minced
3 Tbs tomato paste
1 Tbs herbes de Provence
1 bay leaf
1 cup dry red wine
1/4 cup sherry vinegar
8 cups beef stock or low-sodium broth
Freshly ground pepper
1 stick unsalted butter, cut into chunks
12 baguette slices, cut 1/2 inch thick
4 oz Gruyère cheese, shredded (1 cup)
Finely chopped thyme, for garnish

1. In a large enameled cast-iron casserole, heat the olive oil. Add the onions, leeks, shallots and a generous pinch of salt and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until very tender and caramelized, 40 to 45 minutes; stir in 1 to 2 tablespoons of water if the onions look very dry.

2. Add the garlic, tomato paste, herbes de Provence and bay leaf to the casserole and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until fragrant and the mixture is glossy, about 3 minutes. Add the wine and vinegar and simmer over moderate heat, stirring, until reduced by half, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in the stock and bring to a boil. Simmer over moderately low heat, stirring occasionally, until the soup is well flavored and reduced to 8 cups, about 45 minutes. Discard the bay leaf. Season the soup with salt and pepper and keep warm over very low heat.

3. Meanwhile, in a very large skillet, melt the butter. Add the baguette slices and cook over moderate heat, turning once, until golden and just crisp, about 2 minutes. Transfer the croutons to a plate.

4. Preheat the broiler and position the rack 8 inches from the heat. Arrange 6 heatproof bowls on a large rimmed baking sheet. Ladle the soup into the bowls and top with the croutons and cheese. Broil until the cheese is melted and browned in spots, 1 to 3 minutes. Sprinkle with thyme and serve.

Author: Andrew Zimmern
Source: Food and Wine

Author Notes
The onion soup can be refrigerated for up to 2 days. Reheat gently before topping with croutons and cheese.

Have a great holiday.
 

12 comments:

  1. Since we are no longer in the paid workforce holidays frequently sneak up on us too.
    That French Onion Soup variation looks good. I would use vegie stock though, and do get a bit irritated when essentially vegetarian dishes uses meat stock. Pumpkin soup is a classic on that front - it often uses chicken stock. Sorry I might have my grumpy hat on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true, they don't mean much to us any more do they Sue?

      Don't think about that much, but changing the stock base is easy enough although probably wouldn't taste as good.

      Delete
  2. Hi Jo - I loved Sanditon ... soft and gentle, but a delightful story ... enjoy it through. Love French onion soup - takes me back decades to those bistro/bistrot days ... enjoy Family day cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am enjoying it too Hilary. Is there a book do you know? I wonder how much Jane wrote and how much someone else did. French Onion Soup makes me think of Ostende, Belgium. We used to party at the Kursaal and then go eat soup at a cafe at, maybe 2 or 3 in the morning.

      Delete
  3. There was an interesting online article about whether or not the BBC would do a second season of Sanditon, since they are basically making it up as they go from the unfinished novel. They said they would wait to see the American ratings as the British ratings were apparently not too good.
    The radio situation is interesting. Years ago I listened to a jazz station here in Detroit. I went up north for a meeting on Tuesday and was not able to hear the station up there. Driving homed on Sunday I got near Flint and decided to see if I got service. I turned it on and heard this horrible rock music. Figured I was still out of range and waited till I got closer in. Still rock music. Turns out they changed the format on Sunday. There is one classical music station I listen to on occasion, otherwise it is local news and weather.
    I have a great recipe for five-onion soup and since I have Gruyere in the fridge, I just might go buy some leeks and onions.
    Enjoy your family day. I have Charlie all week as it is winter break here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I love Sanditon, but dunno how it is going over here.

      It seems the radio station is OK after all, just that one programme yesterday.

      Probably is here, wouldn't know of course.

      Delete
    2. Here is the link to my onion soup recipe. I'm hungry.

      https://msdeniseh553.blogspot.com/2012/11/soups-on.html

      Delete
    3. Thanks Denise. I've just eaten.

      Delete
  4. French onion soup, well made, is one of life's great treats!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Could use some of that French Onion Soup, yum! Feeling under the weather - head cold and miserable. A good radio station is a treat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing like a nice soup when you are under the weather Yolanda. I rarely, if ever, get head colds I'm pleased to say.

      I agree.

      Delete