Monday, February 3, 2020

Snow, Groundhog Day, Groundhogs, Palindrome,

The snow is snowing
But the wind ain't blowing
Everywhere is white
It's a beautiful sight.

The groundhogs in Canada are very confused about their predictions this year, however, the lead prediction is that we will get an early spring. The weather man on Good Morning America said the groundhogs are only 40% right which lead to lots of joking about science vs the animals. The picture is of our local Wiarton Willie, I believe he hasn't yet made his prediction for today. They have a ceremony later on. It has been snowing all night and is still doing so which will give a good depth but won't do the roads much good. Hope I can go bowling tomorrow afternoon.

It might be of interest that they always have a white groundhog for Wiarton Willie and have to search for one whenever the current animal dies. I don't know the life expectancy of a groundhog but don't suppose it is very long. Google: In the wild, groundhogs can live up to six years with two or three being average. In captivity, groundhogs reportedly live up to 14 years. I guess they are pretty well looked after in captivity. This picture certainly shows a pretty fat groundhog.

The snow stopped around noon and that which had landed on hard surfaces such as roads and railings seems to have disappeared very quickly.

I never thought of it until ladydog came up with a Palindrome on Facebook. Today, Sunday, is 02.02.2020 - whoever thought of that is a clever bugger LOL. Of course, by the time you read this it will be all passed.

I am glad the Superbowl is over, I kept receiving recipes to serve specifically for Superbowl parties. I once went to a party for the occasion which was about the only time I understood what was going on because our host was explaining it. That was the extent of my interest in the game.

This is a somewhat different way of serving cauliflower which can be such a bland vegetable. Trust Kevin Lynch to come up with something.

Roast Head of Cauliflower in Creamy Mushroom Sauce

A whole roasted head of cauliflower topped with a creamy mushroom sauce that is just packed with flavour and nice and healthy!
Looking for a tasty side dish for a special dinner? I’ve got you covered with this roast head of
cauliflower in creamy mushroom sauce which really presents well when you place the whole head of cauliflower on the table and then slice into it to serve! Roasting cauliflower really brings out its flavour and it works just as well roasting the entire head of cauliflower as it does with roasting the florets! Once you have roasted your cauliflower you can dress it up in any number of ways and my favourite way is to top it with a creamy mushroom sauce that is just bursting with flavour! You can easily whip up the mushroom sauce while the cauliflower is roasting and when it’s done you are ready to enjoy! This roast head of cauliflower in creamy mushroom sauce is the perfect side dish for any meal!

For the creamy mushroom sauce:
2 Tbs butter
1 small onion, diced
8 oz cremini mushrooms, sliced
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 tsp thyme, chopped
1/4 cup dry white wine (or broth)
1/4 cup vegetable broth or chicken broth
1/2 cup cream
1/2 cup parmigiano reggiano (parmesan), grated
1 Tbs white miso paste (optional)
salt and pepper to taste
For the roast head of cauliflower:
1 large head of cauliflower
1 Tbs oil
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup gruyere, shredded (optional)

1. For the creamy mushroom sauce:

2. Melt the butter in a pan over medium heat, add the onions and mushrooms and cook until the mushrooms release their liquids and it’s absorbed, about 10 minutes.

3. Add the garlic and thyme and cook for a minute.

4. Add the wine and deglaze the pan.

5. Add the broth and cream, bring to a boil and simmer to thicken, about 2-4 minutes, before mixing in the cheese and miso and removing from the heat.

6. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

7. For the roast head of cauliflower:

8. Brush the cauliflower with the oil, season with salt and pepper and roast in a preheated 450F/230C oven on a baking pan until tender, about 50-75 minutes.

9. Pour the mushroom sauce on top, sprinkle with cheese, return to the oven and broil until the cheese has melted, about 3-5 minutes.

10. Slice and enjoy topped with the mushroom sauce!

Author: Kevin Lynch
Source: Closet Cooking



Have a great day
 

18 comments:

  1. That cauliflower and mushroom dish looks delicious. Many thanks.
    I hope you can go bowling.
    And, if your early Spring means we will have an early Autumn I am in favour. Big time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does Sue, I agree. Shouldn't be any problem with going bowling, I hope. Oh I bet you do want autumn to come with lots of rain.

      Delete
    2. Herbal Penis Enlargement product is 100% guarantee to Enlarge and get a better ERECTION ,the reason why most people are finding it difficultto enlarge Penis is because they bedlieve on medicalreport, drugs and medical treatment which is nothelpful for Penis Enlargement . Natural roots/herbs are the best remedy which can easily Enlarge your Penis permanently Contact Dr Olu via Email : Drolusolutionhome@gmail.com or via WhatsApp : +2348140654426 for Natural root and herbal remedies put together to help you get Enlarge and Erect healthy. Thank you.

      Delete
    3. am from U..A.E I want to share a testimony of how Dr.Olu herbal mixture cream saves me from shame and disgrace, my penis was a big problem to me as the size was really so embarrassing,and i was also having weak erection problem. I can't make love to my wife and my penis was just too small a full grown man like me having 4 inches penis and to worsen it i don't last in sex i cant even last two minutes it was really a thing of shame to me. My wife was really tired of me because my sex life was very poor,she never enjoyed sex,i was always thinking and searching for solutions everywhere until when i saw a testimony of how Dr.Olu herbal mixture cream have been helping people regarding their sex life, so i decided to give him a try and to my greatest surprise in less than one week of taking the herbs my penis grow to 8 inches i couldn't believe my eyes and as i speak now my penis is now 8 inches and i do not have week erection again. I can make love to my wife longer in bed. And my marriage is now stable,my wife now enjoy me very well in bed. can contact him on his WhatApp number +2348140654426

      Delete
  2. H Jo - just love cauliflower with usually a cheesy sauce, though this mushroom one would be different. We are definitely warmer - but things can change - take care ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Hilary. You usually get warmer sooner than us. Hope it stays warm for you.

      Delete
  3. 40% accuracy. That might be better than our local forecasters. As for the local groundhogs, I've lost track of how many I have trapped and killed over the years. Destructive little beasts. They tunneled under the neighbors front porch until it collapsed. And when they leave a burrow, the skunks and possums move in. Yuck! Never seen a white groundhog before.

    We had sun and almost 50 F yesterday. Not that we've seen much winter here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a pretty good percentage Denise. I have only ever seen one live in the distance. I didn't know they were pests.

      50°F is pretty warm. Our winter has been pretty mild.

      Delete
  4. The main reason that Groundhogs (and other critters) for that matter live so long in captivity is that they are shielded from predators, in addition to being well fed and medicated if they get sick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I figured that David. I think they are pampered pets when in captivity.

      Delete
  5. Most Americans don't get soccer, so that makes sense football doesn't ping your interest. Super Bowl is over and the Chiefs are happy.
    First time I've ever seen a white groundhog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't really get soccer either Alex, although Matt used to play it and was even given a trial for a top team. Ripped his knee badly so lost the opportunity. Not that they paid much in those days. They always find one to replace this one, dunno how.

      Delete
  6. We've not had much snow at all. I'm not sure what our groundhog predicted. I was busy cooking food for the Superbowl. If you were at our house, we'd happily explain it all to you. My pick won, btw, so it was a good day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have plenty at the moment but I think it is melting fast Liz. Hm, cooking food for the Superbowl, not bad for a girl who doesn't really like cooking. I'd be delighted to come to your house for the event. Glad you picked the winner.

      Delete
  7. Snow on groundhog day with a prediction of an early spring. That sounds about right. :) Did not watch the super bowl or the commercials. Should have done the laundry, so that's what I'll be doing this afternoon. Love cauliflower, roasted, any old way! Mushrooms - nope! I like the taste but not the texture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Long time no see Yolanda, welcome back. I think I would rather watch the Superbowl than do the laundry. I love mushrooms. Never had roasted cauliflower though, will have to give it a go.

      Delete
  8. Thank God my hubby doesn't care about sports unless it is the Montreal Canadians up for that cup. I would rather see the commercials and the half time show than the actual sport. Love the white groundhog and amazing how we put so much faith in a rodent. We have had hardly any snow here

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Matt used to love to watch golf, but not any more. Well, if they are 40% right, might be just as good as watching the weather forecast.Well you are close to water, maybe that has something to do with it Birgit.

      Delete