Wednesday, February 12, 2020

Email, Urologist and Shopping, Spam,

I mentioned that my email programme had gone kaput on Monday so today, Tuesday, I phone my ISP in the morning and ended up with a difficult to understand technician who, in the end, assured me that they could do nothing with my Live Mail as it was a Microsoft programme. I ended up almost slamming my phone down on him. I have had assistance from them for similar problems many times.

My legs were still bothering me and Matt's appointment was immediately after lunch so I was in two minds whether to phone and cancel but in the end didn't. It's the walking across the garage which gets me. I'm pleased the urologist said all was well and we were there about 5 minutes. On the way back I stopped at a strange LCBO (liquor store) and found them to be extremely helpful. We also had a bit of a laugh about Scottish names on whiskies. The guy who carried it out to the car for me was saying he had had hip replacements (too young I thought) and that the last time he had gone in on Friday and was out on Saturday. If that is the case, it would be great for me and leaving Matt.

After we get home, I got a phone call from  my contact at the Alzheimer society asking if I had emailed her asking for a favour, I assured her I hadn't, then a friend in the building asking me if I had emailed her - no I hadn't - apparently the email asked if she could do me a favor too (I spell it favour which made ladydog realise it wasn't from me). I assured her I hadn't sent it. I then started getting emails from friends asking me the same thing. Plus friends on Facebook were discussing it too. One friend in NC asked what he could do for me. Of course I was having to read these emails on the ISP website. So I finally phoned the ISP again and this time got someone who helped me fix the problem except she riled me because she treated me like a newcomer to computers. I said "I'm not a 6 yr old" and then thought, if I was, I could probably run rings round her and everyone else on technical matters. Anyway, it got fixed and then when I went online after Jeopardy I found I was still having a couple of problems. Grrr.

When Kevin Lynch comes up with recipes, he comes up with some very good ones. This sounds absolutely mouth watering. Actually, today he came up with two that really pushed my buttons.

Bacon Wrapped, Mushroom and Spinach Stuffed Pork Tenderloin in a Creamy Dijon Goat Cheese Sauce

Juicy pork tenderloin wrapped in crispy bacon and stuffed with a tasty mixture of mushrooms and
spinach all smothered in a creamy goat cheese and French’s Dijon mustard sauce.

For the filling:
1 Tbs butter
1 Tbs oil
1 small onion, diced
12 oz mushrooms, coarsely chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 tsp thyme, chopped
salt and pepper to taste
10 oz spinach, coarsely chopped

For the tenderloin:
1 (1 pound) pork tenderloin, trimmed of fat
12 strips bacon

For the sauce:
3 Tbs butter
3 Tbs flour
1 1/2 cup milk
6 oz goat cheese, crumbled
1 Tbs lemon juice
1 Tbs French’s Dijon mustard
salt and pepper to taste

1. For the filling:

2. Melt the butter and heat the oil in a pan over medium-high heat, add the onion and mushrooms and cook until the mushrooms have released their liquids and the liquid has evaporated, about 10-15 minutes, before adding the garlic and thyme, cooking until fragrant, about a minute, and seasoning with salt and pepper to taste.

3. Add the spinach, let it wilt, use the water released from the spinach to deglaze the pan and continue cooking until the water has evaporated, about 3-5 minutes, before setting aside.

4. For the tenderloin:

5. Cut the tenderloin lengthwise almost all of the way through leaving about 1/2 an inch, before opening it and pounding it with a kitchen mallet until it is evenly thin, about 1/2 inch.

6. Spread the filling over the tenderloin leaving 1/2 inch around the edges and roll it up lengthwise before wrapping it with bacon. Tip: Spread the bacon out over parchment paper with the edges overlapping a bit, place the rolled up tenderloin on it and use the parchment paper to help easily roll the bacon around the tenderloin.

7. Place the tenderloin on a rack on a baking sheet with the seam down and bake in a preheated 400°F/200°C oven until it reaches 145°F-160°F depending on how well done you want it, about 40 minutes. If the bacon is not perfectly crispy, broil for a few minutes until it is.

8. Remove from oven, cover in foil and let it rest for 10 minutes before slicing and serving topped with the sauce.

9. For the sauce:

10. Meanwhile, melt the butter in a sauce pan over medium heat until frothing, mix in the flour and cook until lightly golden brown before adding the milk and cooking until it thickens.

11. Add the goat cheese and cook until it melts before mixing in the lemon juice, mustard and seasoning with salt and pepper to taste.

Servings: 6

Author: Kevin Lynch
Source: Closet Cooking

Have a great day
 

10 comments:

  1. Hiss and spit on the email front. And another hiss and spit for the patronising technicians. I have put off calling our ISP again because I can feel my blood pressure skyrocket.
    Hooray for a positive visit with the urologist - and a delicious dinner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will join you in hissing and spitting Sue. It really is a pain.

      Yes, at least that was good news.

      Delete
  2. Hi Jo - got your email thing - in my spam, then deleted. Glad the urologist went ok and yes for the dinner - looks good. Don't do the hip in one day ... preferably 3 nights in ... you'll have got over the anaesthetic (I was sick after mine ... for whatever reason), a day to recover, then another day to adjust and let the hip heal, then the 3rd day to get used to doing things, and by the next day - it'll be a piece of cake ... it takes time. With Matt there - you'll need the recovery - do not rush out of the hospital!! Have someone else stay over for a couple of nights too - once home ... for the 'Matt and in case' type of need. There's a bit more ... but I did post on it - anyway ... more ideas can be emailed over.

    Cheers & take care - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Went everywhere as far as I can tell Hilary. It took three days when I had my first hip done, but leaving Matt is the problem.

      Thanks Hilary.

      Delete
  3. I received one if those messages too, Jo, but having received them before and recognizing the scam, I immediately deleted it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hate the spam email and phone calls. Someone spoofed by home phone number and I was sitting here and saw my own phone pop up on caller-ID. Idiots all of them. I'd just line them up and shoot them.
    Hilary is right about the surgery. Take your time. I have ignored my doctor's advice in the past about healing time and regretted it. Ended up in the ER.
    I met a young woman at P.T. who ws 27 and had both knees and a hip replaced. She had played volleyball in college.

    That recipe looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really are a pain aren't they Denise, not sure why they do it, 'cos they can I guess.

      Yes, my right hip took 3 days, but being in hospital that long is a problem.

      I guess sports doesn't help. Matt was a sportsman all his life and has had both hips and one knee replaced.

      It does, doesn't it?

      Delete
  5. If/when you need hip surgery, you can ask the Alzheimer's Society or the CCAC(can't remember their new name) if Matt could go to a place for the days you are in the hospital. I have heard this can be done. I hope you can find out more about this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it can Birgit, however Matt would strenuously object, he is quite convinced he is OK alone which is why I am concerned about it.

      Delete