Thursday, May 4, 2017

Recall, Glucometer, Bowling Shoes, Benny Goodman, Asparagus, Soup

Well, that's a good one. I signed on a year or two ago to get food recall messages as emails. This is what I received on Wednesday morning:

Reason for Recall: Health Hazard - high alcohol content

Product(s): Bombay Sapphire brand London Dry Gin
Recalling Firm: Liquor Control Board Of Ontario (LCBO)
Distribution: Ontario, possibly national


No really? Who would have guessed? It's gin for goodness sake.

Then I read further, apparently one batch was not diluted properly to make it 40%. I still thought it was funny the way they phrased it. No idea if we have any as we buy smaller bottles and add them to a large bottle then throw the small bottle away. Matt didn't seem any different (he is the gin drinker) and didn't appear to get drunk last Friday which is when we have gin and whisky - or a gin before din. Me I do not like gin one bit.

Back to my glucometer. Having spoken to Ascensia who took over from Bayer, I started checking out batteries, etc. as I have another meter which had a flat battery. As most things appeared to be working in my old one I thought the battery would be OK to swap over. Took it out and then thought "I don't understand why it stopped working" so put the battery back and tried it out. It worked! I don't understand because before it wouldn't "suck up the blood" although everything else appeared to work - so hopefully it will continue to work for a while. The new one is here but at the post office as I wasn't here to receive it. It's free so don't need to return it.

Actually had a busy day. Finally got to have my hair cut, told the hairdresser I was thinking of donating it, as it was so long. She laughed and assured me it had to be at least a foot of hair.  Back for lunch then after I chopped up 2 1/2 lbs of carrots to make some soup. When that was done, all but blending, we toddled off to the asparagus farm, a) to try a different route and b) just in case. It was a nice day for a drive anyway. Guess what, although it's been raining lately, this morning it was sunny and warm so I was lucky and got me a bag of my favourite green stuff - took all they had. Also bought two gorgeous orange peppers which looked so good I couldn't resist them. Headed home again and about to pass the bowling alley I said I wouldn't mind chucking a couple of balls so Matt pulled into the lot. Owner there all on his own and Matt's new bowling shoes were there too. Matt tried them on and these fit him fine so shelled out a small fortune for those and played a couple of games as well. Shoes cost such a lot these days. I remember, many years ago, emphasis on many, my mother paying £5 for a pair of shoes made by Rayne, who supplied the queen, and being horrified at the cost. Sorry that is not really convertible because I am talking about such a long time ago. But I can assure you that these days that is almost chicken feed. The shoes are something like the picture but velcro fasteners.

Forgot to mention I bought two movies for Matt, The Benny Goodman Story and the Glen Miller Story, two of our favourites. Nothing much on TV Tuesday night so we watched Benny Goodman. That really is a great story. I remember when it first came where I lived in England, I played hookey from secretarial school five afternoons and went to see the movie each day. I then bought every Benny Goodman record I could get, vinyl in those days of course. Not sure whatever happened to those. Bet they would be worth a bit today. Here is one of my favourites for you.


Having made carrot soup I thought I would post the recipe today as a change for those of you who really can't stand asparagus. The recipe calls for two cups of water. I added another 2 cups of broth. Haven't used white pepper since before we came to Canada, so used black. We also added a little salt although the broth does have salt in it I think. This made enough for us to have some for supper and to freeze two more double servings. I don't know where I got the recipe, I didn't make a note of it at the time.

Carrot Soup


3 Tbs oil, olive, extra-virgin
1 medium onion(s), sweet roughly chopped
3 clove(s) garlic smashed and peeled
2 1/2 lbs carrot(s) cut into 1/2-inch pieces
4 cup(s) broth, chicken, less sodium
1 dash(es) pepper, white
8 tsp sour cream, reduced-fat
sprig(s) mint, fresh for garnish

1. MAKE-AHEAD: Soup can be made up to 1 day ahead and refrigerated in a covered container.

2. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic; stir to coat. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook, stirring occasionally, until they soften, about 10 minutes.

3. Add carrots, stir to coat, and cook for 10 minutes. Add broth and 2 cups water, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until carrots are tender, 10 to 12 minutes.

4. Purée soup in a blender or food processor. Season with pepper to taste. Serve hot with a teaspoon of sour cream and sprig of mint in each bowl.

5. Each serving is 1 cup.

Servings: 4
Source: health.com

Have a great day
 

12 comments:

  1. Just what was the alcohol content of the recalled stuff? O never liked the taste of gin when I was younger and trying 'stuff'. I'm not a drinker other than wine really. As for the soup, it comes from health.com. (google) I make a butternut squash and carrot soup that I really like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know Denise, it didn't say. I guess one could google that too. Only squash I have ever made soup with is Pumpkin.

      Delete
    2. OMG. It says the alcohol content was nearly 80%. That's one stiff drink.

      Delete
  2. That's similar to my favourite carrot soup except I make it in the microwave these days. Seems to taste fresher but it could well be my imagination.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never thought of using the microwave to make it Helen.

      Delete
  3. Hi Jo - I can't stand gin either ... I react badly to it ... the carrot soup looks delicious ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny isn't it Hilary? Matt cannot drink whisky for the same reason. I just don't like the taste. My parents both drank gin depending on the time of day. Gin before din as I said.

      Delete
  4. I need to watch those movies. such great music. I expected that sort of magic from LaLa Land, as you know, I was let down. I'll have to find those movies and watch the real thing.

    I had some pumpkin soup that was spicy and delicious. I'll have to try the carrot. I might grind canned carrots...think that would work? You know I'm always looking for the easy out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great movies and great music as you say. I remember I had never heard of Benny Goodman when I first saw that movie. I was an instant fan. I bought the movies from Amazon, quite inexpensive too.

      No, quite frankly Liz, but I expect you will try it. Do you have a blender or something you could chop 'em that way.

      Delete
  5. Sing Sing Sing is one of my fave songs ever. Gene Krupa on drums....incredible! I love both of those movies but haven't seen them in forever. I love Matt's bowling shoes. They are really nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too JoJo. As you say Gene Krupa - fantastic. I believe he was one of the best there ever was. I hadn't seen them in a long time which is why I decided to buy them 'cos I new Matt would enjoy seeing them again too. Yes, he finds them comfy too which is a relief. First pair he ordered were painful to walk in even though we ordered extra wide.

      Delete