Monday, May 22, 2017

Steam Cleaner, Victoria Day, Queen Elizabeth II,

Some of you remember that about a year ago I bought an electronic steamer especially for the bed bugs but they didn't seem to appreciate it. Therefore it has sat in a cupboard until I finally got round to trying the window cleaning attachment yesterday. Woo, it works really well. I am ashamed at the dirt which poured off them. We have enormous windows in our dining/living area and they are a *itch to clean. Not any more. Matt had to do the very top I couldn't quite reach and he threatened me if I stood on anything. Silly, I have excellent balance thanks to both T'ai Chi and exercise classes. Haven't done them all but it won't take long now. Now I have to investigate some of the other attachments.

Today is a holiday in Canada, Victoria Day which is usually known as May 24th weekend. In fact
someone the other day, a born and bred Canadian, didn't even know it was Victoria Day. I heard a snippet on the radio as to why we celebrate Queen Victoria's birthday. Apparently she was very much involved in the development of Canada and was one of the main proponents of Confederation. So whilst she was alive they celebrated her birthday and once she died, a particular date - May 24th - was designated as a remembrance of her life in perpetuity. I chose a picture of young Victoria rather than the rather horrid pictures of her as a miserable old woman which are the ones usually shown. Mind you I notice that quite a few shots of Queen Elizabeth show her as looking grumpy although I understand she isn't. Maybe it's just as old women they had/have lots of aches and pains - something I know about. As I sit typing this I am listening to fireworks which are being let off in honour of the day. Tomorrow, Monday night, will probably be much louder.

Talking of Queens, I watched The Queen at 90 last night which had been recommended to me. Enjoyed it but I could hardly understand Prince William a lot of the time, his diction is terrible for a future king. Harry has a pretty bad speaking voice too. I know the royals are trying to be more like commoners, but that is going too far. The other couple talking about the Queen were Prince Edward, Earl of Wessex, the Queen's youngest son, and his wife the Countess of Wessex. There were lots of shots of the Queen laughing in that programme. I like this one of the Queen and the Duke.

I haven't actually tried this recipe, not sure why, I have had it for a while and with the fresh asparagus I get, it should be really good. I think I am going to make it for lunch today.

Shaved Raw Asparagus with Parmesan Dressing

2 lbs large asparagus
1 cup coarsely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese (3 ounces)
3 Tbs fresh lemon juice
2 Tbs warm water
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper

1. Using a vegetable peeler, shave the asparagus into long, thin strips and transfer to a large bowl.

2. In a small bowl, mix the Parmigiano-Reggiano with the lemon juice, water and olive oil. Add to the asparagus and toss to coat. Season the salad with salt and pepper and serve at once.

Servings: 6

Author: Mark Ladner
Source: Food and Wine

Author Notes
Asparagus often makes wine taste vegetal. To counter that, chef Mark Ladner of Manhattan's Del Posto mixes shaved spears with a supremely wine-friendly ingredient: Parmesan.


Have a great day

21 comments:

  1. Hi Jo - enjoy the holiday. What a wonderful attachment to find out about re the steam cleaner - excellent news. The asparagus looks delicious ... enjoy lunch! Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hilary. I really is a great find.

      Delete
  2. Last week I finished watching 'Canada: The Story of Us' and heard no mention of Victoria supporting the Confederation. I meant to blog about the show which I really enjoyed. Hope you enjoyed watching the home movies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haven't watched that Denise. But according to the radio short, she was very savvy about Canada and very involved in its development. Yes, I did enjoy the programme.

      Delete
  3. I'm glad you mentioned the steam cleaner. I have one that I often forget to use - and my windows are in need of cleaning. My husband is always worrying about my climbing up to do anything, too. I have no idea why when he's the one who's unsteady when it's anything over a couple of steps up a ladder not me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was very pleased with it Helen. I know what you mean, Matt is the same, no balance at all these days and seems to transfer that perception to me.

      Delete
  4. Glad you found another use for that device.
    Funny that Canadian didn't even know it was a holiday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, reading the blurb, it has quite a lot of uses Alex.

      He did know it was a holiday, but had always known it as May 24th weekend, no idea it was Victoria Day.

      Delete
  5. I love that it worked for the windows. We were looking at buying one of these.

    I love my asparagus. About to have more in a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have you ever seen The King's Speech? I think it was about Elizabeth's father. He had a speech impediment...maybe his great grandson's have a little of it too?

    I need a steamer, though it would probably sit in my closet and be ignored like all the other cleaning gadgets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not only have I seen it, I have got it. No William doesn't have a speech impediment Liz, he just has bad diction - he is not very clear when he speaks. His grandmother should give him lessons.

      Mine also sat in the closet until I was so ashamed with my windows I had to do something.

      Delete
  7. A person who isn't grumpy that looks grumpy is referred to as having 'resting *itch face'. lol It's just their natural, neutral look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not heard that expression before JoJo. I wouldn't like to tell the queen that though, would you?

      Delete
  8. How sad that probably, many people don't know it is Queen Victoria's birthday which we actually did celebrate the same weekend as the States Memorial Day but, for some reason, we changed it. Anyway most people say May 2-4 weekend so maybe they think we celebrate beer. I hope you had a nice day and now I need to calm my dog down for the stupid fireworks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is sad Birgit, I was rather surprised that people didn't realise what day it really was. I thought it used to be the same day years ago, but never checked it out.

      Poor dog. I always worry about the wild animals too.

      Delete
  9. I could be tooting my own trumpet but I think it was me who suggested the steam cleaner. If not... well then it was a great idea. We have one and it's awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really don't remember Pinky. But you can take the credit with pleasure.

      Delete