Wednesday, May 3, 2017

Dentist, Glucometer, Mandarin,

Tuesday morning I presented myself at the dentist's office and they proceeded to take moulds of my lower jaw. They also had to take moulds of the upper jaw too. All being well I will have my new teeth next Monday.

Before going to the dentist I had, as usual, tried to take my blood sugar readings. It appears my reliable and trusty glucometer has given up the ghost. Later in the day I phoned the people at Ascensia who have taken over from Bayer and they are sending me their latest and greatest model. The only problem is, my Breeze 2 takes a wheel of 10 strips at a time and is so very easy to use whilst all the others use a new strip every time which you have to fit into a tiny slot. Not easy. However, nobody makes this kind of glucometer any more. That metal wheel at the side is inserted into the machine and punches out a strip a time - 10 strips in total. So very much easier to use. For any Canadian diabetic, don't panic, that is a US reading on the picture. Sorry, repeating myself.

We went to Mandarin for lunch and there was a huge party of old folk (nah, I'm not old folk) having a get together. A couple of times it was almost impossible to get to the food. I was lucky but our friends weren't. The dentist asked me if I had ever tried their bread pudding at Mandarin, I didn't even realise they had bread pudding. Unfortunately I discovered they really do and so tried some. It was good. I will now try and forget about it for the future. Very inconsiderate of the dentist, nice slim woman, to tell me about it.

I keep coming across green garlic lately, I have never seen it for sale here but it does say you can use regular garlic.

Charred Asparagus With Green Garlic Chimichurri

Chimichurri is the South American green herb sauce that goes with just about everything. Easy to put together, it tastes best freshly prepared. When green garlic is in season in spring and early summer, use that; or substitute 2 or 3 regular garlic cloves at other times of the year. To keep it green and fresh tasting, add the vinegar just before serving. Char the asparagus in a hot cast-iron skillet or griddle,
over hot coals, or under the broiler. Pencil-thin asparagus cooks quite quickly this way, but medium-size spears may be substituted.

3 Tbs finely chopped green garlic
½ cup finely chopped parsley
2 tsp finely chopped fresh oregano or 1 teaspoon dried oregano
½ cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
Salt and pepper
1 lb pencil-thin asparagus, tough ends snapped off
1 Tbs red wine vinegar
4 oz crumbled feta
Handful of olives
Crushed red pepper, to taste

1. Heat a cast-iron pan or broiler, or prepare a charcoal grill. Make the chimichurri sauce: In a small bowl, stir together chopped green garlic, parsley, oregano, olive oil and 1/4 cup water. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

2. Spread asparagus on a baking sheet, drizzle very lightly with oil and sprinkle with salt.

3. Transfer asparagus to hot cast-iron pan or to a grill grate that is placed very close to live coals; alternatively if broiling, place pan as close to broiler element as possible. Let asparagus cook for 4 to 5 minutes, until nicely charred, with a few burnt and blistered spots. Asparagus cooked this way tastes best if slightly undercooked and still bright green.

4. Put cooked asparagus on a platter. Stir vinegar into chimichurri and spoon sauce generously over spears. Top with crumbled feta and olives, then sprinkle with crushed red pepper and serve.

Servings: 4

Source: The New York Times

Have a great day
 

16 comments:

  1. I have said many times that some old folks are worse than kids cause they should know better. I'll never forget the old folks who nearly knocked my husband and I over to get to a bus stop in D.C. The bus was empty and there were only six of us waiting. In my typical 20-something fashion, I told them they should be ashamed. I'd likely say the same thing today. Seniors have always wanted respect but they don't seem to know how to give it. Don't get me started on seniors in Costco trying to grab some free food. And now I will get off my soapbox. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We didn't have that problem Denise, although I do know what you mean, but in this case it was just the quantity of people who were all trying to serve themselves at the same time. Mind you I was nearly knocked down by a younger woman in the restaurant, she just went charging past me as though I wasn't there.

      Delete
  2. I haven't had bread pudding in a long time.

    And I agree, you don't qualify as old folk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't eaten it in a couple of years or so Liz.

      Thanks.

      Delete
  3. Interesting about the different readings for different areas. Sometimes, I just wish we all that the same things, like temps.

    Thanks for stopping by yesterday. To answer your question, garlic mustard is an invasive plant that is also edible and tastes mildly of garlic and mustard. Though, I don't taste the mustard. Or, I haven't yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Ivy with us using metric and the US being practically the only country that doesn't.

      You seem to be willing to try most things, be careful they really are edible.

      Delete
    2. I am allll for metric. I use it all the time when writing bakes and won't buy ANY bake books without it. No way. No thanks.


      All plant walkers need to be 100 percent sure of what they are eating. This is key. The BIGGEST key.

      So ... if I don't know it. I don't eat it.

      Delete
    3. I never learned to use metric as a kid Ivy with the result that I haven't really adapted as an adult.

      Pleased to hear it.

      Delete
  4. I'm sure those tiny strips are also a pain for anyone with arthritis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're a pain for anyone without arthritis Diane.

      Delete
  5. Sneaky dentist.
    Sorry your glucometer broke.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I will complain to her next time I see her Alex.

      Glucometer decided to work this morning although I still have another on the way.

      Delete
  6. I've never had bread pudding before. I don't even think I've ever seen it other than in pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a traditional English pud JoJo, easy to make and delicious to eat. One restaurant here used to serve it with ginger sauce at Christmas which was wonderful.

      Delete
  7. You are very blase with the moulds thing. How do you get over the gag reflex?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, it didn't make me gag Pinky. It was all in the front anyway.

      Delete