Major tragedy in my life, we had frost last night and are supposed to get some tonight. Asparagus does not like frost. It's spring for goodness sake. The farm says a couple of days before they are in full swing again. Might go there today to see if they have any at all. Want some rhubarb too. I just can't believe we are getting frost.
We watched The Princess Bride again tonight, love that movie and I knew if was one of the few Matt doesn't walk out of, not sure why. We have lots of movies I love but he doesn't - I keep asking him to choose one because I don't always know what he wants to watch. I am easy to please.
This looks a super recipe which I have just picked up from Food.com but I take issue with a couple of points. The tart is for 4 but they only use 2 eggs then show you someone diving into a piece with a whole egg on it, I would therefore use 4 eggs. They also say 3/4 lb of asparagus, how mingy. I would use at least 1 lb if not more.
Caesar Asparagus Tart
3 garlic cloves
2 Tbs Dijon mustard
1 Tbs lemon juice
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1/4 tsp hot pepper sauce
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
3/4 lb asparagus
1 sheet puff pastry
To make tart filling
1/2 cup ricotta cheese
1 cup Parmesan cheese
2 Tbs chopped chives
1 pinch black pepper
1 pinch salt
1. Blend garlic cloves, Dijon mustard, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, hot sauce and gradually add oil while blending.
2. After it's well mixed, add Parmesan cheese and black pepper.
3. Blanch asparagus (boil for 1-2 minutes then place in an ice bath).
4. Spread out asparagus in a baking pan, top with the Caesar salad mixture.
5. Prepare the puff pastry dough, roll it out flat until you have a rectangle shape.
6. Create a border around the edges of the puff pastry, approximately 3/4" wide, using a small sharp knife.
7. Then create diagonal score marks around the edges of the puff pastry.
8. Poke holes throughout the pastry dough using a fork.
9. Brush the egg yolk + water wash around the crust (edges).
10. Bake the pastry at 400°F for 10 mins.
11. To make tart filling, combine egg, ricotta cheese, Parmesan cheese, chives, black pepper--mix using a whisk.
12. Spread tart filling evenly on top of the pastry.
13. Spread the asparagus evenly on top of the filling.
14. Gently place 2 eggs (make sure not to break the yolk) on top of the asparagus.
15. Bake at 400°F for 25 mins.
Have a great day