Wednesday, May 10, 2017

Philomena, Frost, Movie. Glucometer Case,

Not a lot on TV on Tuesday (for us anyway) once Jeopardy was over. There was a programme on PBS about the investigation into the Irish Roman Catholic convent who took in pregnant girls and then sold their kids away from them. Basically the story of the movie Philomena which starred Judy Dench. If you haven't seen the movie, it was very good and a true story. They treated the pregnant unmarried mothers like dirt, made them work like slaves during their pregnancies and just whipped the kids away from them without their consent. This was some 50 years ago. Terrible story. In the movie a reporter is investigating the story and helps Philomena hunt for her son. The movie was based on the book The Lost Child of Philomena Lee by Martin Sixsmith. I am only sorry the nuns, some of whom were still alive at the end of the story, didn't get their comeuppance but I guess that doesn't always happen in true life.

Major tragedy in my life, we had frost last night and are supposed to get some tonight. Asparagus does not like frost. It's spring for goodness sake. The farm says a couple of days before they are in full swing again. Might go there today to see if they have any at all. Want some rhubarb too. I just can't believe we are getting frost.

We watched The Princess Bride again tonight, love that movie and I knew if was one of the few Matt doesn't walk out of, not sure why. We have lots of movies I love but he doesn't - I keep asking him to choose one because I don't always know what he wants to watch. I am easy to please.

Foot nurse came again on Tuesday so now our piggies are all lovely again LOL. I also got a new case for my new glucometer. Very fancy and quite large. I don't have to take it around with me so I guess it doesn't matter. Looks a bit like this, it is certainly orange but half moon shaped. Maybe I should take a picture tomorrow. I haven't figure out where everything fits yet.

This looks a super recipe which I have just picked up from Food.com but I take issue with a couple of points. The tart is for 4 but they only use 2 eggs then show you someone diving into a piece with a whole egg on it, I would therefore use 4 eggs. They also say 3/4 lb of asparagus, how mingy. I would use at least 1 lb if not more.

Caesar Asparagus Tart

3 garlic cloves
2 Tbs Dijon mustard
1 Tbs lemon juice
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1/4 tsp hot pepper sauce
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
3/4 lb  asparagus
1 sheet puff pastry

To make tart filling
2 eggs
1/2 cup ricotta cheese
1 cup Parmesan cheese
2 Tbs chopped chives
1 pinch black pepper
1 pinch salt

1. Blend garlic cloves, Dijon mustard, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, hot sauce and gradually add oil while blending.

2. After it's well mixed, add Parmesan cheese and black pepper.

3. Blanch asparagus (boil for 1-2 minutes then place in an ice bath).

4. Spread out asparagus in a baking pan, top with the Caesar salad mixture.

5. Prepare the puff pastry dough, roll it out flat until you have a rectangle shape.

6. Create a border around the edges of the puff pastry, approximately 3/4" wide, using a small sharp knife.

7. Then create diagonal score marks around the edges of the puff pastry.

8. Poke holes throughout the pastry dough using a fork.

9. Brush the egg yolk + water wash around the crust (edges).

10. Bake the pastry at 400°F for 10 mins.

11. To make tart filling, combine egg, ricotta cheese, Parmesan cheese, chives, black pepper--mix using a whisk.

12. Spread tart filling evenly on top of the pastry.

13. Spread the asparagus evenly on top of the filling.

14. Gently place 2 eggs (make sure not to break the yolk) on top of the asparagus.

15. Bake at 400°F for 25 mins.

Servings: 6

Source: Food.com


Have a great day

19 comments:

  1. Horrible thing to do to those girls.

    Sorry about the frost. Same here. Burr. Though today, it might actually be warm enough later to open the windows. Fingers crossed.

    I just told Tim other other day (no lie), that's I've never seen that movie. He loves it too. I gotta watch it.

    I like the meter bag. I love orange. Even though it's not the same shape, still neat that it holds everything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was terrible. If you ever get to watch Philomena, it does a very good representation of how those girls were treated.

      Just spoke to the farm, they might be picking late Thursday but probably not til Friday.

      Yup, Ivy, really got to watch that movie.

      I'll try and take a pic today.

      Delete
    2. I will give Princess Bride a watch. I've seen clips here and there, but never the movie. Same with A Christmas Story. Another one Tim loves.

      Guess what? I cracked open one of those ferment jars from the weekend and wow, the tomato paste added is lovely. It adds another layer of sorts and works nicely with the raw ginger and raw garlic. I'll make this one again.

      Hope you get to make kimchi, soon.

      Okay, done eating, bread out of the oven. Time to go sand the walls in what will soon be, Tim's new office.

      Delete
    3. Sounds delicious Ivy. Didn't ferment very long though.

      Sanding walls sounds like fun (NOT)

      Delete
    4. Nooo, it didn't I like to let it go a week or two. But after three days, we have tang so I cracked open the one jar and the other two are in a nice dark warm spot, growing bacteria for my gut.

      If I hadn't run out, I would have waited for all three but with the ants and the mice and the pulling everything out, I put a pause on making them. Hence, I ran out.

      Delete
    5. Ants and mice Ivy? Still, if the ferments taste good and are good for you, great.

      Delete
    6. Mice during the winter. Ants in the wee early spring. Both gone (or seems to be), now.

      Delete
    7. We've had ants Ivy, I believe some people have had mice and one stupid woman even fed them!!

      Delete
  2. It is May and I am used to seeing frost. We are always told not to plant tender plants until after Memorial Day. I think they are doing a movie review of the Princess Bride at our library.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are Denise? I never think of frost at this time of year. I really enjoy that film, it is a total spoof but well done.

      Delete
  3. That tart looks deeeeeeeelicious! But I would rather someone else make it. I got some asparagus today but the stalks are so thick. I hope they are good. It's been chilly here too. The Princess Bride is a cute movie. My stepkids love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually it looks pretty easy JoJo. There is a video on the web site, I forgot to include a link. http://www.food.com/search/Caesar+Asparagus+Tart

      Delete
  4. That's really late for frost.
    I couldn't even count how many times I have watched The Princess Bride.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not from what Denise says and she is south of me, not by much but...

      Me too Alex, it's inconceivable I wouldn't have watched it.

      Delete
  5. I watched the same program and felt anger with that one nun who would not even say what they did was wrong or even tell the woman she did get all the letters......she will meet her maker one day so she better Quaker in her boots. I felt bad for the one lady who would love to see her son, Joseph. It was sad at the end, that she had not heard from him. It was an xcellent program. Are you watching Genius? It's about Albert Einstein and it's excellent

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't watch the programme Birgit, I have a copy of the movie though, Philomena, in the movie, Philomena's son had died before she caught up with him.

      No, heard about Genius but never started watching it.

      Delete
  6. Some of those old nuns were awful. I went to a convent when I was 4 and still have traumatic memories. They are much nicer now. Philomena was a truly beautiful movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Pinky. I went to two convents as a littlie and I remember being slapped across the face by one nun. I made a mistake quoting the holy trinity. I also remember my 3 young cousins being at a convent and we went to collect them for the holidays. Walked through the nun's dining room where we saw the remnants of strawberries and cream, the kids hadn't seen sight nor sound of strawberries!!! It was a beautiful movie. I bought it because Matt likes Judy Dench, but he didn't like that movie.

      Delete