Friday, May 19, 2017

Coffee Theft, Bowling, Weather, Chris Hadfield,

Bowling was pretty bad again today. My legs still giving me trouble plus they were cramping all night. Poor me!!! Funny, there were a number of mentally handicapped bowlers on our floor today - they normally bowl downstairs because upstairs is full. I was just sitting there watching Matt bowl and an arm suddenly appears over my shoulder and grabs my coffee. At first I thought it was the alley owner, but it turned out to be one of the handicapped people. He just stole my coffee and took it away to drink it!! The "handlers" were really upset and apologised to me profusely. It was actually quite funny. I yelled at him that it was my coffee but he took no notice and I just watched him walk away with it. Not a problem, got a new mug etc. but it took me aback somewhat LOL.

Much to my surprise - our team is 1st in the summer league. Mind you we are tied with 4 or 5 other teams LOL. Oddly the max points you can get in any game is 7, every one of us (in the first position) got 5 and nobody got more. We are actually at the head of the list because we are team #1 anyway. Until things change.

The weather is pretty warm here now although this evening it is raining. Supposed to get a major storm, not sure if that will happen. It was blowing a gale earlier but the wind seems to have died down.

Did you hear about the King Willem-Alexander from Holland, who has been co-piloting commercial airliners for some 20 years? Nobody knew. I guess in fact somebody did, but what an amazing man. Just went on Facebook to comment to a Dutch friend and there is a picture from Barrie's Asparagus farm with their visitor today, Chris Hadfield, who commanded the International Space Station - wish I had been there. I would love to have met him, he made lots of videos whilst up there and played his guitar for us too.

This is a new dish to me, I like Pancetta but haven't had it for quite a long time, not sure why. Of course, being me, I would probably use extra asparagus.

Creamy Asparagus and Pancetta Penne

This vibrantly colorful dish is chock full of amazing veggies. In taking advantage of produce that is
in season, this pasta dish truly shines.

2 Tbs all-purpose flour
2 Tbs butter, softened
1 tsp olive oil
2 oz chopped pancetta
1 (8-ounce) package sliced cremini mushrooms
1/4 cup white wine or 2 tablespoons each lemon juice and water
1 tsp salt, divided
4 cups unsalted chicken stock
3 cups 1% low-fat milk, divided
12 oz uncooked whole-wheat penne (such as Barilla)
1 bay leaf
1 cup frozen green peas
12 oz asparagus, trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces
1 Tbs chopped fresh thyme
3 Tbs chopped fresh parsley
1 tsp grated lemon rind
3/4 tsp black pepper

1. Combine flour and butter in a bowl until a paste forms.

2. Place a large high-sided sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add pancetta; cook 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Add mushrooms; sauté 5 minutes or until browned and liquid evaporates. Add wine; cook 2 minutes or until liquid is absorbed, stirring to loosen browned bits. Stir in 1/4 teaspoon salt. Transfer mixture to a plate.

3. Add stock, 2 cups milk, penne, and bay leaf to pan; bring to a boil. Cook 8 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in peas, asparagus, and 1/2 teaspoon salt; cook 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, remaining 1 cup milk, and thyme; cook 2 minutes. Add butter-flour paste, in pieces, stirring constantly to combine and thicken. Remove from heat; stir in mushroom mixture, parsley, rind, and black pepper.

Servings: 6

Source: COOKING LIGHT

Have a great day

12 comments:

  1. Lucky you got the rain. We got nearly 90 degree C heat, winds close to 40 mph and not one drop of rain. Now the temps are back in the 40s.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Didn't get that much for long Denise, when I went to bed last night it was 80°C in the living room. I was thinking of putting on the A/C but left the window open and it is nice and cool this morning, for a while anyway.

      Delete
  2. The King of Holland flies planes? Wow that's cool! One of my friends is over there now visiting family....maybe he'll be the one to fly her back to Ontario!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is she flying KLM JoJo? Not that they would tell you I don't suppose. Ontario? Whereabouts? Mind you it's a big Province.

      Delete
  3. I think I would've just laughed at that guy taking my coffee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I basically did once I stopped reacting instead of thinking Alex. It was funny. He had no idea he shouldn't take it of course - or did he? He took it well away from everyone.

      Delete
  4. My husband's brother was handicapped and he'd do ornery things. We often wondered how much was him just not knowing any better or him knowing he could get away with it. He once flushed a pair of underwear down the toilet and my husband and his dad had to dig up the entire sewage line to clear the plug. Corey just sat and laughed- as he would after any ornery escapade.

    Sometimes, I think he mostly enjoyed the brew-ha his antics created. If you think about it- your look of shock was probably pretty hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, one does wonder Liz. I have no doubt I looked gobsmacked.

      Delete
  5. Ack. Sorry to hear that you’re hurting. No fun. Yikes on the coffee. I would have been taken aback as well.

    Cool beans on being first in the summer league. Tied or not, it all sounds fun.

    We had a BIG storm last night. Pretty here today. Cool enough not to have the air on. But then, I’m not baking today, so that helps too.
    I remember Hadfield’s videos. That would have been fun to meet him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ivy, better today. It was funny in retrospect.

      Nice to think it would last.

      We had some rain but nothing major but it is cool here.

      I wish we had been there when he dropped by.

      Delete
  6. Losing your coffee like that must have felt a bit weird. Sorry to hear you're in pain. As my mother used to say getting old isn't for the faint hearted. Cool that you're doing well in the Summer League, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was somewhat Helen. Bette Davis used to say Old Age ain't for sissies. As for the bowling, long may it last.

      Delete