Saturday, May 20, 2017

Saturday Recipe

This is a recipe which Kevin Lynch of Closet Kitchen posted on Cheese Talk and which has, naturally, been included in my collection of asparagus recipes. I have posted a recipe for Asparagus Pesto before, not sure if this is exactly the same, but the principle is the same. I have never made a Grilled Cheese sandwich, this makes me think I will start.

Asparagus Pesto Grilled Cheese Sandwich

1 Tbs butter
2 slices whole grain bread, very lightly toasted
2 slices Wisconsin Gruyère
2 Tbs asparagus pesto (see below)

Asparagus Pesto

1 cup asparagus, blanched
1/2 cup baby spinach
1 clove garlic
2 Tbs pine nuts, toasted
4 Tbs Wisconsin Parmesan, grated
3 Tbs olive oil
1/2 lemon, zest and juice
Salt and pepper to taste

1. Heat a pan over a-little-below-medium heat. Butter one side of each piece of bread.

2. Place one slice, butter side down, in the pan, top with the cheese, pesto and the remaining slice of bread, butter side up. Grill until the cheese has melted and the bread is golden brown on both sides, about 2-4 minutes per side.

 Asparagus Pesto

. Place everything into a food processor and purée.


Author: Kevin of Closet Cooking

Have a great weekend
 

10 comments:

  1. Never had a grilled cheese? Wow. I love them, but they are quite rich if made correctly. Recently I used mayo instead of butter on the bread when grilling and found it to be very good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have eaten one Denise, just never made one. Not something popular in the UK when I lived there so never got familiar with them. No doubt they are all over the place there these days. I got the owner of the bowling alley to make me one and enjoyed it, this I think would be delicious.

      Delete
  2. I love grilled cheese sandwiches. This looks amazing! Grilled cheese and tomato soup is a rainy or winter day standard here in the USA.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably is in the UK these days JoJo. I sure don't remember it when I was a kid though.

      Delete
  3. OMG. No lie. I went to bed last night thinking of making a pesto asparagus. Spooky.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I almost stuck it in my non-cheese grilled cheese. Instead I ate it with some of my homemade plant cheese and rice.

      Delete
    2. I love asparagus pesto although I guess you can't use my recipe Ivy.

      Delete
    3. No but it's okay. I never put cheese in any of my pestos anyway. Or pine nuts. I guess it's not a real pesto but inspired by.

      Had them in my homemade plant cheese, grilled cheese today. Yum.

      Delete
    4. My pesto has pecans in it for a change Ivy.

      Delete
    5. That sounds like a great choice. Thanks.

      Delete