Wednesday, May 17, 2017

Earring, Summer League, Driving Test, Soups,

Went to take off my earrings at bed time and found I had one missing. A small gold hoop, I was teed because I haven't had them that long. This morning Tuesday, I emailed the dentist and the bowling alley. The dentist responded that they thought they had it. When I went in there at lunchtime, they did have it. What is incredible, I went there at 9:30 a.m. and the earring was found on the pathway by their last client of the day! Talk about luck. These are very small earrings - one would sit on the end of your finger - incredible that someone saw it at all.

Today, being Wednesday, we start our Senior Summer League. Goes through to the beginning of August.  This basically means that if we want to bowl twice a week, we have to do so on Wednesday and Thursday as they only open on those two days in the summer. I believe they are open on the weekends but that would probably be too crowded.

To start the day, Matt has to go for his senior driving test. Will have to leave here at about 8:15 to be sure to be there for 9 a.m. Meanwhile I am going to use the lovage I got from the Receptionist at the dentists. I found a Pea Soup recipe which I like the look of. I am going to cut the quantities a bit as it calls for about 2 lbs of peas. I haven't made any asparagus soup yet this year, haven't really been able to get enough asparagus yet. Weather has been warmer and is supposed to warm up more this week so keeping my fingers crossed. This is the asparagus soup I got from Barrie's Asparagus Farm, it is the farmer's mom's recipe. I can't tell you how many years I have been making this. I store a lot of it in the freezer. I do have to use the blender with it when it unfreezes mind you.

Barrie's Asparagus Soup Recipe

My Mom's Famous!!!

1 lb asparagus chopped
1/4 cup chopped onion
2 cups chicken broth
2 Tbs butter or margarine
2 Tbs flour
1/2 tsp salt
dash pepper
1 cup milk
1/2 cup sour cream or yogurt
1 tsp fresh lemon juice
fresh chives for garnish

1. In a covered saucepan, boil the asparagus, onion and 1 cup of chicken broth. When the asparagus is tender and still bright green, blend to a purée (this purée can be frozen and used for future batches of soup.

2. In a large saucepan heat the butter and flour on medium to make a paste. Cook until golden. Stir occasionally as you add the 2nd cup chicken broth, making sure lumps don't form.

3. Stir in the salt, pepper, purée, milk. Bring to a boil.

4. Take soup off heat. Measure the yogurt or sour cream into a bowl and stir in spoonfuls of hot soup, little by little. Now, carefully stir this warmed yogurt or sour cream mixture back into the pan of soup.

5. Add a teaspoon of lemon juice, or to taste.

6. Serve in individual bowls, sprinkled with chopped chives. (makes 3 1/2 to 4 cups of soup)

Servings: 4

Author: Mrs. Barrie

Have a great day
 

15 comments:

  1. Hi Jo - glad they found the earring for you ... one of mine is down a friend's floorboards! Someone in a future life will find it! Sadly not like the two diamond ear-rings just sold ... one pink, one blue - different values, different mines ... minerals are amazing.

    I'd love some pea soup with lovage ... cheers asparagus will be here shortly ... Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so easy to lose the stupid things isn't it Hilary? Blue and pink diamonds? That sounds interesting. You should do a blog about diamonds.

      Will let you know what the soup like. I am surprised you can't get asparagus yet, spring is usually earlier in England.

      Delete
  2. There is an aspargus farm within ten miles of me and they are hoping to have asparagus soon. Weather started getting warm yesterday, but those two mornings of frost recently did damage even in my garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The farm here said they got 3 nights of it, I didn't even notice. Must have been a pretty heavy frost Denise. Of course they grow rhubarb too which loves the cold weather.

      Delete
  3. Super duper cool that they had it.

    Happy bowling and here's to more asparagus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Talk about lucky Ivy. Just bought a load of asparagus for myself and others. So you should be able to get some too.

      Delete
  4. I still contend that making elderly people test is age discrimination. But I am a West Virginian and always free is our motto. I think it makes more sense to test people who have accrued a large number of tickets or accidents- not just because you reach a certain age.

    Every time I buy real gold earrings, I lose one. I buy fake ones, I never lose one of them. Go figure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tend to agree Liz, when I worked in the industry, statistically young drivers were more accident prone than older ones. They basically are testing for signs of onset dementia anyway.

      You are not alone in that Liz, I know lots of people who lose real gold but not false. I don't discriminate, I lose both LOL

      Delete
  5. What luck with the earring!!! That's great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wasn't it lucky JoJo. Especially having sat there all day and who knows how many people passed it.

      Delete
  6. How lucky they found the earring and that soup sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was Helen, very lucky. And yes, the soup is delicious. You should have an asparagus bed. Lovely thing to be able to have fresh in your own back yard.

      Delete
    2. I have planted some, Jo, but it needs to grow. With luck I should get to pick some next spring.

      Delete
    3. I used to have a bed in the UK many years ago Helen.

      Delete