Tuesday, May 16, 2017

Dentist, Lovage, Bowling

I got my partial plate at 9:30 a.m. Monday morning. When the dentist first put them into my mouth,

they hurt like hell in one area only. She took them out and did a bit of grinding and put them in again, then out again. Turned out that my lower gum is still pretty sore from the extraction. I was unaware of it before this. In the end she got it so I could wear it. It doesn't feel too bad and it is no longer hurting, but eating with it is going to take a heck of a lot of getting used to. The blurb they gave me says to wash/rinse the plate after each meal. That is going to be a bit of a bother I think. However, I will try not to be like some people and will wear the partial all the time.

Whilst waiting to go into the surgery, I was talking to the Receptionist, Alex, (she is really more a one woman office staff) and she had a large bunch of lovage which she had brought in for someone. I am familiar with the plant although I have never seen or used it. I think it is an old English, or possibly European herb and not much used today. Maybe in the Mediterranean and points east. Anyway, we were given a bunch of it to try. Alex, said she uses it in soups including lamb or chicken. Never made soup with lamb so that's a new one on me. The leaves look like large parsley but have a different taste. I found a recipe which appealed to me made with new peas and lovage so I think I will be trying that.

I managed to eat a normal lunch but found the asparagus got caught in my teeth easily. Think I will have to cut them into pieces in future, until I am used to this anyway. For supper, I chickened out and we had home made carrot soup. We went bowling in the afternoon and my teeth were much admired LOL - my scores were much admired too. One game was fairly low, but the two others I got pretty good scores. I was chuffed. I just hope I can continue this trend into league play which starts on Wednesday. Bearing in mind we play twice a week and sometimes three times, you would think our bowling would improve. Doesn't seem to work that way though.

This is another of my particular favourites which I picked up some years ago and I keep some frozen on hand all the time. It always amuses me because all these recipes talk about trimming the asparagus or breaking off the ends, etc. etc. which, with farm fresh, I never have to do. By the way, the weather is starting to warm up this week so hopefully we will be able to get as much asparagus as we want.

Asparagus Pesto Toasts


1 lb trimmed green asparagus
1 cup toasted walnut halves (I used pecans)
4 cloves garlic, peeled
2 1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup olive oil
2/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan
Freshly ground pepper

1. Cook asparagus until just tender. Refresh in cold water, then drain and dry well. Place asparagus, walnuts, garlic and salt in food  processor. Process until blended.

2. With motor running, gradually add olive oil, then add cheese and pepper. Blend together and check seasoning. Place in covered bowl.

3. It shows the recipe served on crunchy toasted French or Italian bread with a curl or two of Parmesan on top and some asparagus at the side.

4. We freeze this in ice cube trays, then wrap the cubes in pairs (separated by Saran, and put in a bag in the freezer until we need them.

Source: Food & Drink from the LCBO

Have a great day
 

10 comments:

  1. Hi Jo - glad the plate is sorted and all went well - both with that and the bowling. Asparagus season is nearly here ... and those asparagus toasts look good ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately not totally sorted Hilary, had to remove it at 5 am as it was hurting. Minor fix I think though.

      Delete
  2. It must be good to have your plate organised. I had a tooth extracted at about the same time as you and they didn't think I'd need a temporary plate or anything else for that matter because it isn't visible. The dentist said if I wanted I could look at a bridge or an implant next time I go back to him in August. Since it's driving me nuts because just about every mouthful something gets stuck in the gap I'll certainly want something done then - assuming I can stick out the three month wait.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Organised but not totally fixed yet Helen, see reply to Hilary. The food may not get stuck once it is healed properly.

      Delete
  3. Glad you're smiling pretty again. I'd think taking them out to clean every time would be a pain though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So was I Alex but it hurt and removed it by 5 this morning. Easy fix I think. Yes,, it will be a pain.

      Delete
  4. Get a tube of brace gel for sore spots until your gums toughen up.

    High fives on the pretty smile and good scores!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just saw the dentist Liz and she said I shouldn't be wearing it at night anyway and that I may have ground my teeth or chomped hard in my sleep. I have a small ulcer but she says leave it for a bit and then try it again, taking it out at night. The bowling was good, dunno about pretty smile? Toothy maybe?

      Delete
  5. I'm glad you bowled well! Sorry your plate gave you overnight trouble. I would've left it in too. I didn't realize they had to be removed every night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So was I JoJo, hoping I can tomorrow for our team. I have worn a top plate for 20 years and always wear it at night. She was surprised but I will certainly take her advice with the bottom plate.

      Delete