Tuesday, May 2, 2017

Breakfast, Smoked Fish, Bowling, Asparagus, Dentist, Lunch.

As my regular readers know, I always have a couple of glassed of champagne on Sunday morning and then treat myself to a smoked salmon lunch. The packets of smoked salmon I buy have enough for two lunches (no Matt isn't interested) so I usually end up with smoked salmon for lunch on Monday too. However, yesterday we were lunching at the bowling alley (bowling banquet) and today we are off to the Mandarin so, being unsure how long it would keep in the fridge, Monday breakfast was smoked salmon and asparagus. Delicious. No, I didn't bother to roll it like this. Only for me and it was breakfast time. I really enjoyed it and will think about doing it again before the season ends. Hasn't really started yet mind you, the weather won't stay warm - needs to be 18° to 20° C for the asparagus to flourish.

Having written this about the smoked salmon, I went off to shower. I then thought, duuh, what an idiot, people smoked fish to preserve it so it should last a long time. Not that I didn't enjoy it for breakfast, but I needn't have worried about it.

Our bowling banquet was late today, the caterer was unable to make it on time!! So we bowled a game before we ate and I had a 225 game. Didn't matter dd it? Then we finally ate after which we played 2 more games. My second game not great, my third was good again. Matt had a very good last game too. I also won a prize for highest score with handicap. I also won a couple of draw prizes. One woman who is not really in our league but her bunch bowl every week, won a lot. In fact, had I won as often as she did I would have refused and said let someone else win.

I have another convert to farm fresh asparagus. Apparently the alley owner and his family were very impressed with it. I am not surprised, I told you II had weakened and bought some in the store a month or two back, the farmer told me his dad had weakened and bought some and ended up throwing all of it out. I am not surprised, but I am surprised that a man who used to  grow the stuff would buy in the store.

Today I have a dental appointment to make a cast for my new teeth which I then get next week. Hurrah. Then we are off to the Mandarin again to have lunch with some friends.

Another new asparagus recipe.

Wok-Fried Asparagus With Walnuts

Not all asparagus dishes are delicate and subtle. Try this stir-fry to see how well the sweetness of asparagus and spicy bold flavors go together.

1 ½ lbs asparagus, pencil-size or medium
2 Tbs vegetable oil
Salt
½ tsp ground Sichuan peppercorns, or use black peppercorns
¼ tsp five-spice powder
1 tsp grated garlic
2 tsp grated ginger
1 Tbs palm sugar or dark brown sugar
1 to 2 bird’s-eye chiles, thinly sliced, or use serrano or Fresno chiles
2 tsp soy sauce
½ cup toasted walnut halves
1 tsp toasted sesame oil
3 green onions, slivered
Cilantro sprigs, for garnish

1. Snap off and discard bottoms of asparagus, then cut into 2-inch pieces. (Halve thicker pieces lengthwise first.)

2. Set a wok over high heat and add vegetable oil. When oil is hot, add asparagus and season lightly with salt. Stir-fry for a minute or so, then add Sichuan pepper, five-spice powder, garlic, ginger, sugar, chiles, soy sauce and walnuts. Continue cooking over high heat for 1 to 2 minutes, tossing to coat well, until asparagus is cooked but still firm and bright green. (It will continue to cook a bit off the heat.)

3. Transfer asparagus to a serving platter and drizzle with sesame oil. Sprinkle green onions over the top and garnish with cilantro sprigs.

Servings: 4

Tips
To make your own five-spice powder, combine ground Sichuan pepper, fennel, clove, star anise and cinnamon in equal parts.

Source: The New York Times

Have a great day

12 comments:

  1. Hi Jo - brunch and breakfast looks delicious ... I'm sure our asparagus will be out in bunches soon ... for now we've had a sudden spell of cold, even frost, down here ... but it will appear I hope!! Have a good week with bowling, teeth and lunch... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Certainly delicious Hilary. It's not really been warm enough for our asparagus either, don't know whether to go there again this week or wait awhile.

      Delete
  2. I don't eat it now, but the best smoked salmon in the world comes from my family in Oregon. My uncle smokes and cans what he catches and now and then my husband is lucky enough to get a couple cans in the mail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't think we are talking the same thing Diane. I have never heard of smoked salmon being canned. Salmon that has been smoked is a slightly different thing.

      Delete
  3. Matt doesn't like smoked salmon? The shame.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh he likes it, once in a while Alex. Doesn't seem to want to eat it very often though, unlike me.

      Delete
  4. Years ago when I worked at a law firm in CA the lawyers took us all out to eat for Secretary's Day and a couple of the women ordered smoked salmon....they'd never had it before. They were taken aback at it being cold and raw. They hated it and were starving the rest of the day cause they didn't eat it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure the lawyers were pleased, that stuff is expensive in a restaurant. Not only that it isn't raw, the smoking cooks it. Cold, yes, but not raw.

      Delete
  5. I will let you eat the asparagus but I love smoked salmon. Sounds like the bowling was fun

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, you don't know what you are missing Birgit. Especially if it's fresh from the farm. Stuff in the stores is a totally different thing.

      Delete
  6. I'm a regular reader (3 years now) but I didn't know you had champagne and smoked salmon for breakfast every Sunday. You and I would be very good friends if we lived in the same country. Especially on a Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not breakfast Pinky, but before lunch I have champagne and then smoked salmon for lunch. Pity you can't join me.

      Delete