Friday, May 5, 2017

Comet 67P, Bowling, Asparagus,

How about this picture - To get an idea of how large the comet 67P/Churyumov- Gerasimenko is, it has been rendered next to a city. Mind you, I don't know which city. I just hope it isn't destined to visit us. One really doesn't appreciate just how big these things are. This gives a good perspective. Would you believe people are saying there is a conspiracy about this comet and is it, perhaps, an alien space ship?

http://en.bcdn.biz/Files/2015/4/14/fce9c3f9-668e-439d-af9a-c63a9966399d.jpg

Bowling on Monday wasn't bad, bowling on Wednesday wasn't bad, bowling on Thursday was pretty lousy. The alley is pretty empty at the moment because the leagues have finished. Our Summer league doesn't start until May 17 which doesn't prevent Matt and I bowling of course. This league goes on until August 16 which will be a kind of banquet no doubt, last year we had KFC. Matt wouldn't touch it. Said he didn't like the look of it. It did look a tad frazzled but still tasted good.

The youngest family member to work at the bowling alley has been in Jamaica for a couple of weeks (I should be so lucky) and comes home today, Thursday. He has discovered he is as nutty as I am
about asparagus but he hasn't yet tasted the farm fresh spears so next time I go, I am going to buy him a bag all to himself (no doubt he will share, but that's his choice of course). Maybe I shouldn't go around ruining everyone's taste for shop bought asparagus LOL. If only the weather would warm up - it is supposed to next week, but this weekend they are actually talking snow flurries. Unbelievable. Or is it, some years ago we were travelling up north, not that far up north either, and it was August and one night we had snow. Not a lot, but nevertheless, snow. I shouldn't use this picture really, it is obviously older because the ends are all pale and woody looking which I have never seen from Barrie's. Of course, if left around, it too would have woody ends - it's one way to be sure it's fresh.

Here's a new one to me, from Food and Drink which is a magazine published by the LCBO or the Liquor Control Board of Ontario.

Asparagus and Shrimp Paté

2 lb (1 kg) shrimp, shelled
½ cup (125 mL) chopped green onions
3 Tbs (45 mL) seasoned rice vinegar
1 Tbs (15 mL) chopped garlic
1 Tbs (15 mL) chopped fresh tarragon
2 Tbs (25 mL) chopped parsley
1 egg
1 egg white
½ cup (125 mL) whipping cream
Salt and freshly ground pepper
1 lb (500 g) medium-size asparagus spears, blanched
Garnish
Fresh tarragon
Lemon slices, optional

1. Preheat oven to 350ºF (180ºC).

2. Combine shrimp, green onions, vinegar, garlic, tarragon and parsley in a food processor. Process until mixture is just combined. While machine is running, add egg, egg white and cream. Stop machine immediately. Mixture should have a little bit of texture left. Season well with salt and pepper.

3. Lay a third of shrimp mixture into a buttered loaf pan. Add a layer of asparagus trimmed to fit pan. If asparagus is too short then add a second piece as well. Add second layer of shrimp mixture and another layer of asparagus. Finish with remaining shrimp mixture.

4. Place loaf pan into a second slightly bigger pan. Fill larger pan with boiling water halfway up loaf pan. Cover loaf pan with a piece of buttered parchment paper and cover tightly with foil.

5. Bake for 55 minutes or until white juices begin to rise and pâté is cooked through in the middle. Cool in pan and pour off any liquid that has gathered. Turn out on to a rectangular plate and decorate with fresh tarragon and lemon slices, if desired.

Servings: 10

Have a great day

20 comments:

  1. If aliens are going to visit us, I'd like to think they would arrive in something more fancy that a giant rock.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, but this way you wouldn't know it was aliens Diane!! The comparison between the rock and the town is a bit scary though. No wonder they figure a comet wiped out the dinosaurs

      Delete
  2. I think your conspiracy folks have been spending too much time at your liquor stores - and not there to get recipes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Denise. That was even on World News tonight yesterday. In the recall they wanted you to throw the gin away!!!

      Delete
  3. How nice of you to buy him some asparagus. I still haven't acquired the taste for it. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought you tried it last year and enjoyed it Liz?

      Delete
  4. Now that is a rock. The aliens can park it in my backyard anytime! I have a thing for rocks. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All I can say is - you must have a very big back yard Yolanda!!

      Delete
  5. I wish we had farm fresh asparagus here but we don't. IF you can get them, it's in the grocery store. I haven't seen them much at all this spring. I made angel hair pasta w/ parm, mushrooms, garlic & asparagus last night and while the dish was tasty, the asparagus were kind of bitter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder why they were bitter JoJo, shouldn't have been. I'm sorry you don't have a farm near you. Mind you, in the States you can buy frozen asparagus and that is pretty good as I recall.

      Delete
    2. I don't think I've ever seen frozen asparagus...but I also didn't know to look. I can try it. I'm just afraid when they thaw out, they'll be mushy.

      Delete
    3. We used to get it in NC JoJo. Don't thaw it, just cook it. Not as good as fresh from the farm but certainly not bitter.

      Delete
  6. Hi Jo,

    That's either a very large comet or what a five pin bowling ball can look like after I had one of my lousy games.

    Have a nice weekend and before my elbow starts acting up, I shall now attempt to reply to your email while consuming asparagus. Yep, I can sort of multitask.

    Gary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never had a game that looked that bad Gary.

      Sorry to hear about your elbow. Enjoy your asparagus

      Delete
  7. Big things floating in space scare me. That's a huge one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Pinky. Just hope it stays away.

      Delete
  8. Fresh farm so good. Hope I get to try it here.

    ReplyDelete