Monday, May 1, 2017

Poor Criminals. Asparagus for Dinner, Bowling,

I don't believe this, Saturday night I caught part of a programme about Preparing to go to Jail. The whole programme seemed to be 'poor me I have to go to jail'. One woman who had embezzled close to a million dollars, is moaning and groaning because she has lost her house. Another young man who strangled someone who bullied him for being gay is so sorry for having to be sent to jail.  They all seem surprised and upset about what is happening to them. Didn't they know if you commit a crime and get caught, you go to jail? I'm sorry, if you can't do the time, don't do the crime. The people I am sorry for, of course, are the families, kids, spouses, parents, siblings.

When we went to the asparagus farm I picked up some for one of the owners of the bowling alley. Dropped them in to him and gave him 'strict instructions' about not having to break off the ends etc. Saturday night he sent me this photo. Looks pretty good doesn't it? Wish they had invited me. Some people!!!

Today is our bowling banquet day which means the end of the winter season. We will be bowling simply for fun today - well really although we are on teams earning points, we bowl for fun anyway. At least, so they tell me LOL. Matt and I will continue bowling twice a week - the summer league starts on May 17 and finishes in August I think. However, we will be bowling through August too.  It's all exercise especially when one throws 3 balls a frame!! We always say we are getting our money's worth.

Lots of asparagus recipes coming up.  I have quite a few new ones as well as some of my old stand by's. We can get chorizo in this area - lots of Portuguese here - but it occurred to me one could always use Italian sausage.

Spanish Asparagus Revuelto

In Spain, wild asparagus is very popular, and it’s a sure sign of spring. Because the variety of wild asparagus there can be a slightly bitter, cooks blanch it in boiling water before sautéing in olive oil. (In North America, both wild and cultivated asparagus are sweet, so this step is unnecessary here.) This dish features typical Spanish ingredients — garlic, chorizo and bread crumbs — incorporated
into soft scrambled eggs, for a hearty breakfast, or a simple lunch or first course.

Olive oil
2 peeled garlic cloves, plus 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
2 cups bread cubes, made with day-old bread, cut in 1/2-inch cubes
Salt and pepper
2 oz diced Spanish chorizo
1 bunch thin asparagus, about 1 1/2 pounds, cut in 1- to 2-inch lengths
1 bunch green onions, chopped
8 large eggs, beaten
½ tsp pimentón
2 Tbs roughly chopped Italian parsley

1. Put 3 tablespoons olive oil in a cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add peeled garlic cloves and let them sizzle until lightly browned, then remove. Add bread cubes, season with salt and pepper, lower heat to medium and gently fry until lightly browned and crisp, about 2 minutes. Remove bread and set aside to cool.

2. Add chorizo and fry lightly. Add asparagus, season with salt and pepper, and stir-fry until cooked through but firm, 3 to 4 minutes. Add green onions and minced garlic and cook 1 minute more.

3. Season eggs with salt, pepper and pimentón. Pour into pan and cook, stirring with a wooden spoon, just until soft and creamy, 2 to 3 minutes. Add parsley and serve immediately, topped with the fried bread cubes.

Servings: 4

Source: The New York Times

Have a great day
 

17 comments:

  1. I was reading a blog post about capital punishment. Oh, poor murderers being put to death. Puh-leeze. They are murderers and I agree with you - no excuse for being a criminal whatever the crime. Understand that if you are caught you WILL go to prison and lose everything. Nuf said.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On the other hand Denise, I am not really FOR capital punishment.

      Delete
  2. I agree - do the crime - do the time! Capital punishment too harsh for those wrongly convicted - have to get it right. But a long stay in jail - sounds like punishment to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trouble with a long stay in jail Yolanda, it costs us so much to keep them, but I a not sure what the alternative is.

      Delete
  3. That recipe looks AMAZING! I bet my husband would love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What, you mean there are consequences for my negative actions? The horror...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, amazing isn't it Alex? Thought you could get away with it.

      Delete
  5. The other question is...why does it take so long before they are placed in jail and serve the time? I know of someone who committed a crime Dec 2015, charged, let out due to parent's surity, went through 4 court proceedings before finally going to jail in mid Oct. He is already out. It's wrong! If you are caught, you are in jail until you are tried and then, if found guilty, you are back in right away. Now I know some are innocent but when people do the poor me blues i just want to kick them in the ass

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Birgit, but you are innocent until proved guilty. I do agree people are let out on parole way too quickly, mostly because the jails are overcrowded.

      Delete
    2. ooohhh-that little thing:)

      Delete
  6. I didn't watch that exact program, but I did see one where they were talking to illegal immigrants who were being deported back to their home countries. And while some of them were sad, one of them was a guy who was being deported because he had gotten a DUI, and he said, "I mean, it's not like I killed someone or stole from someone. I only got a DUI!" And he was crying like oh, poor me, why is the world against me.

    Yeah... ONLY got a DUI.

    That Revuelto sounds amazing. I need more recipes to put chorizo into.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amazing isn't it? Criminals and wrongdoers never seem to "get it".

      I gather you like chorizo then Bryan?

      Delete
    2. I do like chorizo, but I usually only make it as a breakfast meat (with eggs and potatoes, for example) or in a taco/burrito. So recipes like this are very welcome!

      Delete
    3. A and when I come across any I will pass them on to you Bryan, either in my blog or on yours. I haven't actually eaten chorizo since my parents lived in Spain many years ago. The stuff here didn't seem quite the same somehow. But my memory could be faulty. There are lots of Portuguese living in this area so there is lots of chorizo available.

      Delete
  7. Reality shows are get stupider and stupider. We are turning into an Idiocrasy. Gah!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that word Pinky. And you are right.

      Delete