Thursday, May 25, 2017

Farm Produce, Bowling,

Surprise, surprise, I had to go to the asparagus farm again on Wednesday.
Lots of extras for other people. On the counter they had bags of spinach which I couldn't resist so got one of those too plus a bunch of spring onions (green onions) as well as a load of asparagus of course, and 1 lb of rhubarb just for me. So, when I got home, I turned some of the spinach, green onions and asparagus (shaved) into a salad with a Parmesan dressing similar to the one posted with Shaved Raw Asparagus a few days ago, it was good. I have enough left to make it again today. I had some uncooked Korean Bulgogi Beef left and I cooked that and served it over Chinese Noodles. It was goooood.

Bowling wasn't great, the team we were paired with has some hot shot bowlers - we managed to take 2 of 7 points though. Better than nothing.

As you will have noticed, I had problems leaving replies yesterday. Hope it's a one off.

Fettuccine With Asparagus And Smoked Salmon

Fresh pasta, asparagus and smoked salmon are tossed with shallot cream sauce in this elegant weeknight dinner that can be prepared in well under an hour.

½ lb fresh asparagus, medium thickness
Salt
1 Tbs butter
½ Tbs minced shallots
1 cup heavy cream
4 oz smoked salmon sliced 1/4-inch thick
Freshly ground black pepper
1 tsp fresh lemon juice
9 to 10 oz fresh green fettuccine noodles
2 Tbs minced fresh dill

1. Snap off the ends of the asparagus where they break naturally and peel the stalks. Cut the asparagus on a slant to pieces about an inch long.

2. Steam the asparagus until they are just barely tender and still bright green, about three minutes. Rinse under cold water, drain well on paper towels and set aside.

3. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil for the pasta.

4. While the water is coming to a boil, melt the butter in a large heavy skillet. Add the shallots and saute until soft but not brown. Stir in the cream and simmer about five minutes, until the cream has thickened somewhat.

5. Cut the salmon into slivers, add it to the cream and remove the skillet from the heat. Season with pepper and lemon juice. Add the asparagus.

6. When the pot of water is boiling, add the fettuccine, stir it once or twice, then cook two to three minutes after the water has returned to a boil. Drain well.

7. Briefly reheat the sauce. Transfer the fettuccine to a warm serving bowl, pour the sauce over it and toss. Sprinkle with dill and serve.

Servings: 4

Author: Andrew Scrivani
Source: The New York Times

Have a great day
 

17 comments:

  1. Hi Jo - spinach looks very good ... as too the asparagus - must check to see whether ours has hit town yet ... the fettucine looks delicious too ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pity you don't have a local asparagus farm Hilary, it makes such a difference. Spinach was excellent.

      Delete
  2. Nothing nicer than a salad made with really fresh ingredients. The recipe looks really good too.
    That's Purrfect

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right Patricia. We really enjoyed this salad last night.

      Delete
  3. Fresh spinach is always good. We eat it often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We never ate spinach in salads before we came to Canada Alex, don't know why.

      Delete
  4. Jo, I have to tell you that you are a real inspiration when it comes to cooking. I have a neighbor whose idea of dinner is scrambled eggs, waffles, or spaghetti sauce from a jar over pasta that is overcooked. I have three racks of ribs in the oven right now, so I am all set for the week-end. And the noise from fireworks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Denise, from you that is a great compliment. I have never cooked ribs, I love them but Matt is one of those who doesn't like to chew on bones. Yes, I know you are looking forward to the fireworks LOL.

      Delete
  5. Ahhh...asparagus, my hell food...hahahaaa. Glad you are enjoying the season and the recipe sounds good but you know I will substitute the asparagus with something else

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a shame Birgit. It is so good for you apart from the taste which, in my opinion of course, is great.

      Delete
  6. That spinach looks great. Much better than the bagged crap I buy at the grocery store.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry bowling wasn't great.

    Love the farm you sent me to. Today I made Asparagus 4-Alarm Chili. YUM! Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, my bowling is right off at the moment Ivy.

      So glad you are pleased with the farm? 4 alarm chilli with asparagus???

      Delete
    2. I took pictures with my phone but need to transfer them over to send. I should have just taken it with the tablet, so much easier to send the pictures that way. But yes, tomatoes, onions, beans, chili spice and then at the very end when I'm ready to eat, chunks of asparagus. I don't like mine mushy so I added them at the end. Then homemade bread on the side.

      Delete
    3. Oh yes, asparagus doesn't need much cooking Ivy. Will look forward to seeing the pix.

      Delete
    4. Going to have it for lunch today and I will snap the photo.

      Delete