Monday, June 8, 2015

Google Doodle, American Pharoah, Triple Crown,

Beach Head in Normandy
How odd, Google commemorates all kinds of obscure anniversaries in their Google Doodles. But Saturday, which was June 6 and D Day or the Normandy Landings they ignored completely. I wonder why. I personally don't remember much of D Day but Matt remembers the build up of tanks and planes which were shrouded in camouflage so the Germans would not know what was happening. He live in Kent, which is in the south east of England where most of the build up occurred.
It all happened 71 years ago which in one sense seems like forever ago, in another like yesterday. Time seems to condense as one gets older, I guess one's memory becomes selective and things which mean something to you seem closer than things which are unimportant or you just forget that they happened. For those of you who weren't even born then, the film, The Longest Day, represents the occasion very well. Absolutely everyone was in it I think. The cast list sounds like a who's who of the movie world.

I was thrilled that American Pharoah won the Triple Crown on Saturday. I think it's very exciting that
American Pharoah
it's the first time that has happened in 37 years. What a magnificent horse. Pretty good on the rider's part too. It's not all one or the other but an excellent partnership. I once used to bet on the geegees but haven't done for many years now. We have a couple of famous races in Britain, the Grand National and the Derby (we pronounce it Darby) and one year, Matt, who doesn't gamble on horses, wrote down the winners of the Grand National - no he didn't bet, just wrote them down - and showed them to me after the race. I could have killed him, he would have cleaned up, he had all three of them. They were talking, Saturday morning, about the value of the horse at the moment, now the value must have soared to the heavens. Funny really the horse's name is misspelled which nobody noticed until it was too late to change it, and his tail has been bitten off. I wish I had had a bet on him.

Sole is not easily found, if you wish you could use flounder for this recipe.


SOLE WITH ASPARAGUS


1 lb Asparagus
1 lb Sole fillets (4 pieces approximately the same size)
1/4 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp Grated lemon or lime peel
4 Tbs Lemon or lime juice, freshly squeezed
1/8 tsp Black pepper
1 Tbs Chives, finely chopped
1 tsp Your favorite mildly flavored mustard

1. Cut asparagus into 3 inch lengths. Cook in 2-quart saucepan in lightly salted water for 5 minutes, drain. Set aside.

2. Season the skin side of the sole fillets with salt and lemon or lime peel.

3. Place asparagus spears at one end of each fillet.

4. Roll up fillets with asparagus spears inside and secure with plain round toothpicks.

5. Place in a 2-quart oven-save casserole dish liberally sprayed with non-stick cooking spray.

6. In a small bowl combine remaining ingredients and pour over fish.

7. Bake in a 400 degree oven for approximately 15 to 20 minutes or until fish flakes easily.

8. Baste fish every 7 minutes.

Servings: 4


Source: Produce for Better Health

Have a great day
 

28 comments:

  1. Russell always watches the Longest Day when it's on....he's a huge John Wayne fan. I don't care much for it b/c it seems to be all artillery and bombing and the noise gets on my nerves big time. Plus I end up having to actually pay attention and read the subtitles, instead of just listening while I cross stitch or play online. I do wonder why Google chooses some events/people for their doodles but not others.

    I didn't watch the Preakness....I'm not a fan of horse racing. Seems every time I watch, which isn't often, one horse takes a horrible spill and is injured or has to be put down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now isn't that odd, I have seen the movie two or three times and I don't remember subtitles. I must have been too absorbed in the movie. I normally hate subtitles anyway.

      I didn't watch the Preakness either JoJo, but I used to be a big fan of horse racing in the UK. Only think I have been to here is harness racing.

      Delete
  2. We watched the race because it was history in the making. I thought it was great he won the Triple Crown.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right Alex, that's exactly what it was. I do wish I had watched it. I have been interested in the Triple Crown since I came to North America.

      Delete
  3. I didn't even hear about American Pharaoh until after he'd won. Which is sad, because I would have watched the most recent race had I known.

    And I do actually have access to some sole, so I'm gonna have to make this recipe. Looks simple but fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was on our news in Canada. Particularly mentioning the misspelled name which they didn't notice until too late and also his bitten tail. On GMA this morning they said he would be covering mares 4 times a day. George Stephanopolis (sp) figured that would be exhausting.

      Glad you have some sole. Hope you enjoy it.

      Delete
  4. Many of us took time to think about and remember the historical significance of D-Day. Particularly the sacrifices made.

    And I remember something about some scientists saying that American Pharaoh couldn't win the Bellmont. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good to know although there are not that many people who remember any more.

      Were they ever wrong!!!

      Delete
  5. I didn't notice until now but the name is spelled wrong. I think he was the owner's son's horse and the guy probably misspelled it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They said they didn't notice the misspelling until it was too late Diane. I had trouble writing it wrongly and got to the stage I couldn't remember which was correct for the horse.

      Delete
  6. Hi Jo,

    Google Doodles are a mystery to me. Makes me wonder what they prioritise. As for horse racing, can't stand it. In that ridiculous and dangerous Grand National, I'm routing for the non-runner.

    Gary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do come up with some odd ones and then miss such an important one. I always loved horse racing. Horses love to run. Did you ever read any Dick Francis books? Ex steeple chase jockey. Gives you a real feel for the sport.

      Delete
  7. We were at the San Diego fair on Saturday, which also is the place they do horse racing for a couple of months during the summer. They had a few betting windows open for people to place bets on the Belmont Stakes. Should have, LOL, but didn't. I was glad to see American Pharoah take it! Always exciting when there is a triple crown!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pity you didn't, you might have cleaned up, Betty. It is exciting, especially as it's so long since the last one. Before I was born. As Alex said, history in the making.

      Delete
  8. I love sole and have made it many time (without you know what:)) I agree with you about June 6th. I say that now about D-Day and people stare at me blnakly-very sad. No I was not born until 1964 but my dad was Canadian and fought in the war and my mom was German and lived through the hell. She remember hearing the news and they were so happy and praying the war would end

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We used to make a similar recipe with fresh tomatoes, I will have to see if I can find it. It was pretty hellish everywhere in Europe at the time Birgit. It's odd to me (sometimes) that my childhood was spent thinking of Germany as the enemy and now, living in Kitchener, a lot of my friends are, or were, Germans. I met a German penfriend well after the war and she remembers hearing Hitler's voice on the radio and being frightened by it.

      Delete
  9. I must not have used Google on D-Day because I didn't notice they ignored it. One of my uncles was there so I always remember it. I love baked fish and it's so quick to make.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still think it's odd Susan.

      I love baked fish too.

      Delete
  10. I haven't seen The Longest Day in many years. There was some coverage of the D-Day landings on the news here but it has been somewhat overwhelmed by the Anzac centenary commemorations that have been going on all year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was TV coverage of it, but it was the Google Doodle lack that puzzled me.

      Delete
  11. Time does condense as you get older. Or I read that when you're ten, one year is a tenth of your life but when you're sixty it's only a sixtieth so it just seems shorter. I just know it flies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't thought of it like that Pinky. but I guess it's true.

      Delete
  12. Come to think of it, Jo, D-Day is a significant date. Something should perhaps had been done. But in a way it is horrible to be reminded of blood and destruction!

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. However, I don't think we should forget Hank. The two world wars were such terrible events. We have fought several wars since although not a major world wide one thank goodness.

      Delete
  13. I love it how you are sticking it to Elizabeth with this recipe. Just for her, you need to post a whole month of asparagus recipes. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melissa, I wasn't intentionally sticking it to Elizabeth. I have been posting asparagus recipes since the season started and it will end around July 1. I do the same every year whilst the farm fresh asparagus is available.

      Delete