Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Tigers, Weight Watcher Soups, Asparagus.

I learned this from How to Geek this morning. The country with the most tigers is - the United States. I quote: This staggers me.
The country with the largest tiger population isn’t India, China, Russia, or any of the Eurasian countries that currently occupy the ancient ranges of the massive cats. The country with the largest tiger population is the United States.
It’s not because there is a secret enclave of feral tigers deep in the steamy Everglades or snow tigers lounging atop the Rocky Mountains, but a result of zoos, conservatories, and private ownership of tigers. The private ownership is so extensive that the estimated population of tigers within the United States (5,000 animals) is significantly higher than the total global population of wild tigers (3,200).
They asked their readers to pick out the country with the most tigers and both China and Russia were on the list. It would never have occurred to me to pick the USA. Zoos and conservatories are one thing, but private owners in the States worry me, there have been quite a few reported accidents. The latest being the zoo where the town has been flooded out and there are now wild cats roaming around free. OK, not a private ownership, but that was a tad unusual.

I joined Weight Watchers for the first time in 1973/74 and at the time acquired a couple of
cookbooks. I made several things from them but one we both really liked was a Cream of Celery soup. Trouble was, these days I don't have dried milk in the house. However, I chopped up a whole bunch of celery, having washed it first of course, cooked it in stock with 3/4 pint water (that's an English pint which is 20 oz.) and once it was very tender whizzed it up in the blender and then added a little skim milk. Tastes fine and we had it for supper on Monday followed by some Brie. The hardest part was getting it tender. I thought it wouldn't take long, I was wrong, I simmered it for at least half an hour, maybe more. One thing I did forget was to peel the celery. The soup was delicious but a tad stringy. There are other simple soups so I will have to have a go at some of them. Dried milk occurred in a lot of WW recipes in those days. There is also a delicious recipe for Skate, but I have never seen that fish here.

Tuesday I will be going for my asparagus run with orders from a lot of friends. Then only two more trips and that will be the end of it for this year. Boo hoo. I've learned a couple of things about it such as storing it, standing, in water like flowers because it is related to the lily. I am assured that asparagus love water. Not sure I have mine long enough for them to need it.

I have no idea where this recipe came from and I don't have a picture for it. Perhaps I had better make it so that I will have one in the future, although, knowing me I would forget to take the picture. I wouldn't use white asparagus because it wouldn't be fresh enough. There isn't anywhere close to me that grows it so buying it in the store I would end up with woody stems. I have only tried white asparagus once and was very disappointed. I am told it needs a sauce, yes it does, regular green asparagus can be eaten plain and enjoyed. I choose green. The picture below is exactly what it looks like when I buy it from the farm.

Asparagus Hors d'Oeuvres

Tomato concassé is very easy to make, peel tomatoes by dipping them in boiling water for a few seconds, the skins will slip off. Then de-seed them and rough chop the rest of the tomato flesh. Chop some shallots and gently sauté the tomatoes and shallots together in some butter. Set aside until ready to use.

1 lb White asparagus
1 egg, hardboiled
tomato concassé
chervil
olive oil
lemon juice
blanched chives

1. Peel ends of asparagus, tie and boil til tender. Cut off tops, chop up bottoms having removed woody bits. Mix bottoms with tomato concassé, chervil, sieved egg white, olive oil, lemon juice and season with salt and pepper.

2. Sprinkle spears with lemon juice and olive oil, season. In a piping tube stand up spears all round, fill with salad, tie up with blanched chive then gently remove piping. Sprinkle with sieved egg yolk. Decorate with chervil leaves.

Servings: 4

Have a great day

33 comments:

  1. Having a pet cat is one thing, but a pet tiger would be rather dangerous. Rich people have insane ideas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do so agree Khan. I think it's crazy keeping wild animals like that and in some cases not very fair on the animals.

      Delete
  2. I saw a documentary about big cat ownership in the US last year. The numbers were staggering and sadly many are kept in inappropriately confined areas. Just horrible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Helen it is horrible. I have seen documentaries about it too. Most zoos these days have spent a lot of money making animal environments as much like the real thing as possible.

      Delete
  3. We have the most tigers? That's really sad. That means soon they will be extinct in the wild.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right Alex. It is sad.

      I hear its 106°F round your way at the moment. Yuk.

      Delete
  4. Amazing! I suppose that at least the species is safe, with so many in captivity!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is one way of looking at it Satima.

      Delete
  5. I am so against the ownership of exotic animals. I'm not crazy about zoos either. Everyone told me that the Pt. Defiance Zoo in Tacoma was one of the best but I was totally unimpressed. I made it a point to go b/f I moved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too JoJo, but I think zoos do a good job - generally. We have very different views on this you and I though.

      Delete
  6. That is interesting about the tigers; I too would have thought of a different country than the United States. It is sad when tigers or any animal like that is made someone's exotic pet. Zoos I like because I think they try to study the animals and keep them somewhat in a "natural" habitat type of thing.

    Hard to imagine your asparagus season will be over. At least it seemed like it was a good one with you being able to get the asparagus you wanted for yourself and friends.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the questionnaire I picked Russia. I would never have thought of the States either Betty. I agree about zoos.

      Yes, the asparagus season did turn out to be a good one although with the drought earlier it was in doubt for a while.

      Delete
  7. Amazing and sad that the US has the most tigers, all the way around not a good fact for tigers. Even zoos are limiting, but free-range in the appropriate environment - is there such a thing today?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes incredible isn't it Yolanda. I guess Russia from the questionnaire. Zoos do a good job of conservation though I think.

      Delete
  8. It is surprising that that the US is tops. Zoos and private ownership among others. Meaning a great number of them in the houses of rich folks obviously. Interesting and also frightening. The celery soup is simple to make. Will try it sometime! Thanks Jo for sharing!

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Surprised me too Hank. Some private owners have quite large zoos - saw a documentary. It is frightening because some have escaped.

      The celery soup - I added a little plain yoghurt to it as well. Ate it last night, it was good.

      Delete
  9. This is the best dry milk I've ever found. It can pass for fresh.
    http://beprepared.com/milk-2-5-can-instant-fat-free.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Melissa. The recipe calls for 2 tbs. but I don't think I would bother, it was perfectly good with milk and a little yoghurt.

      Delete
  10. So many tigers! Gosh! I make a lot of soup and find that celery soup is by far the hardest because of its springiness. Carrot soup is the easiest with an onion and potato added, stock and maybe some chopped up coriander near the end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a lot of tigers Rosalind. My husband swears he will come home and find I have made grass soup. I wonder......

      Delete
  11. Hi Jo,

    I love tigers! I know a few friends who have had great success with Weight Watchers! One gentleman, who was a high school teacher, lost over 100 lbs and he ate well doing it, too. I don't believe in diets...fortunately I haven't been more than perhaps 20 lbs overweight in my lifetime, but dieting, when necessary, should be monitored by a physician and just drinking a lot of water, exercise and a healthy regime (more fruits and vegetables, less red meat) and watching fat intake is better than all those diets out there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love them too.

      Weight Watchers is an excellent system I certainly found it worked for me but then, like so many diets, I eventually put the weight back on. I have been dieting most of my life but three years ago I started recording everything I ate on FitDay.com and have lost a total of lbs. I am still recording what I eat but my weight doesn't change one tiny bit. I eat a balanced diet including red meat but also including fruit and veg too.

      Delete
    2. Hi Jo, I totally agree with you that Weight Watchers is a great system! They have you weigh out the portions and you certainly don't starve on it, yet you lose weight in a very healthy way. I wish you all the best and eating a good variety of foods is great.

      Delete
    3. Hi Jo, I totally agree with you that Weight Watchers is a great system! They have you weigh out the portions and you certainly don't starve on it, yet you lose weight in a very healthy way. I wish you all the best and eating a good variety of foods is great.

      Delete
    4. Thanks Linda. I don't seem to lose any more weight, but if I can stay as I am I shall be happy. I eat asparagus every day in season!

      Delete
  12. Well that's something else you've taught me Jo. I wouldn't want to foot a tiger's food bill or clean up after one. It is a worry there are so many privately owned tigers though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd never thought of that Pinky, it must cost one heck of a lot to feed tigers. Plus cleaning up as you say. But I don't like the idea of privately owned ones either.

      Delete
  13. I am not surprised about the tigers. It makes sense since the U.S. is a rich country. It is sad to think how few of these majestic animals are left in the wild but it seems zoos and conservation places are a great way to keep the animals from extinction. I just wish a law was passed that would make it illegal for people to own Tigers or any wild animal. They may be cute when they are little and they are beautiful animals but they are wild and are dangerous. I am greatly saddened by the loss of all the animals in the zoo that suffered that mud slide.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am in total agreement with you Birgit. And yes, it was very sad.

      Delete
  14. I fancy the stand up in water method, works well. I do the same for my fresh herbs. Lots of Mason jars in my fridge.

    Have you ever made celery stock? When it goes dirt cheap I'll make a big batch of it and use it recipes.

    PS: Forgot to tell you that I make asparagus broth and it came out delish. I used garlic, asparagus, sweet onions, celery and carrots in water, Kosher salt and pink salt. Then when done, I drained and ran alllllll the vedge through the juicer.

    The broth was thin, delish and so light. Finished the last of that, today.

    And on health news, I can't go into it now but it's helped a huge amount and that, I owe to you. Much, much thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just leave mine in the bag they came in and shove 'em in the fridge. They seem to keep fine that way. No, never have made celery stock Ivy, I always use celery in soups and things but never thought of making stock from it. Your asparagus broth sounds good.

      I am so glad I have helped you health wise. I have 4 1/2 lbs in the fridge right now and want to freeze some again. This year I will be more careful about how long I blanch it.

      Delete
    2. Freezing sounds good.

      Today I might make chicken stock, it's cold here again and I am fresh out.

      Delete
    3. Haven't got round to it yet Ivy. Maybe Friday.

      Cold???

      Delete