Monday, June 29, 2015

Health, Flies,

Just over a week ago I had an ultrasound on my carotid artery. This was as a result of my fainting (for want of a better word) episode a few weeks ago. Saturday I went to see the doctor to discuss the results. It turns out that my carotid is 70% blocked on the left side. So now I have to go see a surgeon and I am guessing, have an angioplasty and maybe another stent. I already have two in my femoral artery. Guess that's going to interfere with my bowling. A friend told me she had an 85% blockage of an artery and they did the angiogram/angioplasty straight away. I hope they will get to mine quickly. Considering I have already had femoral arteries stented (new word) and now they find another major artery blocked, it makes me wonder what else needs attention.

I was quite chuffed Sunday morning (pleased with myself) because I managed to catch two fruit flies; usually I can't get anywhere near them. We get lots of the damned things in the summer months (well they say it's summer) and last year some of you may remember I bought an apple which is actually a fly trap. It does work, but not brilliantly so we still get them flitting around the place. God forbid we should throw a banana skin in the garbage, they home on it almost instantly. We frequently spray Raid in the garbage can to stop them. We have had a plague of them in the bathroom before now and they seemed to be coming from the overspill hole. Luckily this has only happened the once. This picture shows an apple trap somewhat more ornate than ours. There is an attractant inside and a sticky ring of card to catch them. The idea is to put it with fruit.

Would you believe there are only a few days to go now and I will stop posting asparagus recipes until next year. I will be getting my last asparagus on Tuesday and although I will be enjoying it for a while longer, I probably won't post asparagus recipes after June is out.

French Onion and Asparagus Pasta

By:
  • Serves: 6
French Onion and Asparagus PastaIn this irresistible, fragrant dinner, the flavors of French onion soup are combined with pasta and asparagus. It's a big hit in our family, and something even my picky kids will eat!

Ingredients

1 stick butter
2 large onions, thinly sliced
2 cloves minced garlic
2 sprigs fresh thyme
1 bay leaf
salt and pepper to taste
12 oz penne pasta
1 lb asparagus spears, ends trimmed, sliced into thirds
2 Tbsp flour
1 14.5-oz can beef stock
1/4 cup Heavy Cream
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
2 Tbsp Olive Oil
1 cup seasoned breadcrumbs

Preparation

1. Melt butter in a Dutch oven or large skillet. Add onions, garlic, thyme and bay leaf; season with salt and pepper. Cover and cook over medium-low heat, stirring frequently, until onions are softened and caramel in color, about 30 minutes.

2. Meanwhile, cook pasta according to directions on package in boiling salted water. During the last 4 minutes of cooking, stir in asparagus spears. Drain pasta and asparagus; set aside and keep warm.

3. When onions are caramelized, stir in flour until coated. Stir in beef stock, scraping browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Heat to boiling, then reduce heat to low and simmer 10 minutes. Stir in heavy cream. Add onions and sauce to the reserved pasta and asparagus.

4. Spread the pasta in an oven-safe dish. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese.

5. Combine olive oil and breadcrumbs; sprinkle evenly over cheese.

6. Broil in the oven until the breadcrumbs begin to brown and the cheese is melted, 3-5 minutes. Serve immediately

Have a great day.
 

37 comments:

  1. Hi Jo - sincerely hope they can do the angioplasty soon ... take care and all the best - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are no fruit flies here, but whiteflies are trying to destroy my tomato plants.

    French onion as a pasta? With asparagus? My mouth just watered.

    Also, sorry to hear about your blockage. I hope it gets taken care of soon, so you can get back to bowling (and other such activities)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't know whiteflies Brandon and Bryan. I hope you defeat them successfully.

      Thanks - not sure when I will hear.

      Delete
  3. Hope they can get to you soon.
    Fruit flies are annoying. Why do they hang out in the bathroom, anyway? There's no food there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too.

      No idea why they did Alex, weird.

      Delete
  4. I hope all goes well with your health. I put some wine and little water and a drop of dishwashing detergent in a shallow bowl and let the fruit flies drown. I learned this from a winery owner up north.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Denise.

      For some reason the flies don't seem to be interested in wine. Unless it happens to be in the bottle which we make sure to cover.

      Delete
  5. Glad they figured out what might be causing your fainting episodes; now I hope they get it taken care of sooner than later.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So do I Betty, but things move pretty slowly round here.

      Delete
  6. Take care Jo. Hope everything goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Our local asparagus has been done for a week or so. ) : Miss is too. I will keep your health issues in my prayers and hope they are resolved soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just went and got my last lot this afternoon dynnamae. Boo hoo. I have frozen some and might freeze a bit more. Thanks, kind of you.

      Delete
  8. Many years ago I read a Paul Bragg book on detoxification. Apparently water melons are the natural salt cleansers good for unblocking arteries. The interesting thing was too much real salt was according to Bragg bad for you because it cements the joints. I hope this is helpful, Take it easy Jo and get well soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the information Spacerguy. I don't very often eat water melon. Maybe I will have to start. I feel OK most of the time.

      Delete
  9. Well, that just sucks! I hope the Dr's take care of you as soon as possible so you can be all ready for bowling and other fun endeavors. I have had those stupid fruit flies especially when I buy peaches or nectarines. They are an annoying lot

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Birgit, but you know how long it can take.

      Yes they seem to especially like the summer fruits.

      Delete
  10. At least you know what was causing the fainting spells. Our bodies are excellent at letting us know when something is wrong. Good luck with it all and I hope it doesn't interfere with your bowling too much :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I only really had one, the rest was a touch of dizziness. You are right Pinky, our bodies do let us know. I hope it doesn't either.

      Delete
  11. Sorry you health requires a bit more work, but so glad they caught it in time!

    I so loath fruit flies - wicked little things. I'll have to try the trap.

    Take care, and keep us posted - you're in my thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  12. My mom had a carotid artery ultrasound a few weeks ago. But at 88 I don't see them doing stent surgery. At least I hope not. I am still buying asparagus...love it too much not to, although I didn't have time to do the ham & asparagus bake last weekend that I was going to do. I hope that everything's still good enough for me to use this weekend (everything's cut up and in ziplock bags).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What was the result, do you know JoJo. If her blockage is major, they probably will do the surgery. I hope they will anyway as one can get strokes because of such blockages.

      I hope your asparagus is OK. We can buy asparagus all year round, but it is not farm fresh so I will not buy it. You have to take the ends off so you lose almost half of every spear.

      Delete
  13. Hi Jo,

    I'm sorry to read of your health concerns and may it get rectified sooner rather than later.

    Fruit flies are a nightmare. Recently, I've been dive bomber by a relentless house fly.

    That recipe looks appealing and healthy.

    Look after your good self, Jo.

    Gary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gary, I hope they get to it quickly. Shortage of beds, docs and all that though.

      Fruit flies drive me batty. I have just closed the windows to put on the lights otherwise they get through the screens.

      Delete
  14. Yummy recipe! Looks easy and therefore quick especially on those evenings when I have to work.

    We live on a ranch so flies of all sorts are a way of life in the summer. I think I have flyswatters in every room. And wasps and mud daubers--both of which find there way into the house. Dan is relentless in his pursuit of bee like things (except honey bees. Those are catch and release).

    As for your health...I'm glad you're taking it serious and having it checked out. Hope they get to you soon. At this point I imagine they don't consider it an emergency but still oh so very dangerous. Big hugs. I'm so glad all my arteries are working fine. Whew.

    Sia McKye Over Coffee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad he catches and releases the bees. The other things are a real pest, used to get some of them in NC.

      I got nagged into going to the doc after my fainting episode. Cyber bullying maybe LOL. Seriously I was very glad they did and am now waiting to hear from the surgeon. The mills of God grind a bit slowly in the medical field. You are somewhat younger which helps your arteries. From what Spacerguy says, eat water melon to keep them clear.

      Delete
  15. I'm just now seeing this post - I hope things work out or you, and soon!

    ReplyDelete
  16. 70 percent, wow. That sounds scary and I hope they get to you quickly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Must admit I am a tad nervous about how long they will take Ivy especially as it's a holiday week with Canada day on Wed.

      Delete
    2. I can understand that. I would be as well. I don't know much about this artery but I have noticed more and more are getting clogged.

      Wishing you the best.

      Delete
    3. More and more of yours Ivy? I hope not.

      Delete
    4. More and more people are telling me about theirs. It's scary stuff, I find.

      Delete
    5. It most certainly is scary Ivy.

      Delete
  17. Stopping by to say hello! I'll be praying for you!

    ReplyDelete