Saturday, June 13, 2015

Saturday Recipe

In line with my asparagus theme, this one is from Closet Cooking and looks absolutely delicious.

Balsamic Parmesan Roasted Asparagus and Tomatoes

Servings: 4
Roasted asparagus and tomatoes covered in melted parmesan and drizzled with a balsamic reduction.

ingredients
  • 1 1/2 pounds asparagus, trimmed
  • 1 1/2 cups cherry tomatoes, cut in half
  • 1 tablespoon oil
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1/2 cup parmigiano reggiano (parmesan), grated
  • 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
  • 2 tablespoons basil, sliced
directions
  1. Toss the asparagus and tomatoes in the oil, salt and pepper, place on a baking sheet in a single layer, sprinkle on the parmesan and roast in a preheated 400F/200C oven until they start to caramelize, about 15-20 minutes, mixing half way through.
  2. Meanwhile, simmer the balsamic vinegar until it starts to thicken, about 10 minutes.
  3. Serve the asparagus and tomatoes warm drizzled with the balsamic vinegar and garnished with the fresh basil.


  4. Have a great weekend
 

18 comments:

  1. If Russell gets a tomato plant this year might have to try this. Of course the asparagus season will be over by then! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I plan to try it with regular tomato JoJo and see what happens.

      Delete
  2. Looks and sounds, yum!

    I bought mine because of you. Thanks, I sometimes don't treat myself and should. They were delish. Going to have some with eggs in a few minutes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does doesn't it Ivy?

      Asparagus is not only delicious, it's good for you. Be sure to treat yourself.

      Delete
    2. I'm learning from one of my many wholefoods books, this one reads, that asparagus reduces phlegm and mucus, eases constipation, and soothes internal membranes.

      I love that sound of that.

      And, according to the National Cancer Institute, asparagus is the food highest in glutathione, an important anticarcinogen.

      If I do a post, I'll be thanking you properly for the inspiration to buy 2kg but for right now, please accept my gratitude. I have many more books here and will be learning more about these tasty treats.

      Delete
    3. I wonder if my asparagus farmer knows all that Ivy. He is always saying how nutritious it is.

      Nice of you.

      Delete
  3. That does look delicious :) You too have a great weekend.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jo,

    Another healthy recipe. Although not a big fan of asparagus, I do know that eating better, including asparagus, would do me a world of good. Thanks for the recipe.

    Enjoy the rest of the weekend, my kind friend.

    Gary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny Gary, misread your comment as eating butter, I thought how would that be healthier. Hope you are feeling better these days.

      Delete
  5. This does sound scrumptious with all the ingredients...except the one:) Hahahaaa-I should try it with another veggie. Gosh I am a bad girl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess you could make it with broccoli or something Birgit. Pity you don't like asparagus, it is so good for you and is a good cancer fighting food too.

      Delete
  6. This recipe sounds so good, need to try it now. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you can get farm fresh asparagus, so much better Nas.

      Delete
  7. It looks wonderful. I love tomatoes in oil. Such Mediterranean goodness!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does look yum Pinky. You are right tomatoes in oil is delicious.

      Delete