Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Good News for Bees, Music from Yesteryear,

Great news from the David Suzuki Foundation today This afternoon the Ontario government formally posted North America’s first regulations to reduce bee-killing neonic pesticides! The new restrictions take effect on July 1, 2015. It's not the total answer but a very good beginning. Science clearly shows that neonics kill honeybees and are wreaking havoc with wild bees, butterflies, birds and worms. We’ll continue to push for bans of toxic pesticides, like neonics, that poison our water, contaminate our fields and harm countless species that pollinate our food and gardens.But for now, let’s savour an early victory for the bees.
Many years ago we were cruising the Mediterranean with my parents, on their yacht (they lived on board). We were mostly spending time off the coast of Southern France and would frequently anchor off shore. We could hear this song drifting across the water to us. Called Popcorn, it was everywhere that year. The other day I happened to mention it to one of my friends at exercise class. She had never heard of it. Then on Monday I heard it on the radio, I have never heard them play it before. I have a recording of course, it was so popular at the time I bought the 45. A small record for those of you too young to remember. Something of a coincidence.




As you may remember, Giada de Laurentis is one of my favourite TV chefs, this is one of her recipes.

Grilled Asparagus and Melon Salad

2 oz thinly sliced prosciutto
1 lb asparagus, trimmed
2 tsp extra-virgin olive oil, plus 2 tablespoons
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 Tbs fresh lemon juice
1/4 small melon (about 12 ounces), peeled, seeded and cut into 3/4-inch cubes
4 oz fresh mozzarella or burrata cheese, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
2 Tbs pine nuts, toasted* see Cook's Note

1. Place an oven rack in the center of the oven. Preheat the oven to 350° F.

2. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place the prosciutto in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet. Bake for 12 to 14 minutes until crispy. Drain on paper towels. Chop the prosciutto into 1/4-inch pieces.

3. Place a grill pan over medium-high heat or preheat a gas or charcoal grill. In a medium bowl, toss together the asparagus and 2 teaspoons olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Grill for 2 to 3 minutes each side until crisp-tender.

4. In a medium bowl, combine the lemon juice and 2 tablespoons olive oil. Whisk until combined. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Add the melon and mozzarella cheese and toss until all ingredients are combined.

5. Arrange the asparagus on a platter. Using a slotted spoon, spoon the melon and burrata cheese on top of the asparagus. Drizzle any remaining vinaigrette over the top. Sprinkle the prosciutto and pine nuts on top and serve.

Servings: 4

Author: Giada De Laurentiis

Author Notes
To toast pine nuts, arrange in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake in a preheated 350 degrees F oven for 8 to 12 minutes until lightly browned.

Have a great day
 

28 comments:

  1. Oh that tune brings back memories. Good news about the bees, too. Now to convince everyone else to stop using these pesticides.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Certainly does for me Helen. It is good news for the bees.

      Delete
  2. LOL I remember Popcorn. The band was Hot Butter. hahahaha Reminds me of the 70s.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right JoJo. I had forgotten that. Didn't know it was popular over here.

      Delete
  3. :) I do remember this one. Can't help but smile as it plays. Living on a yacht how intriguing. Good for the bees!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope it doesn't bug you all day Yolanda. I lived on one kind of boat or another from about 10 - 20.

      Delete
  4. Don't remember Popcorn, kind of catchy name though. Good news for the bees and us indeed!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a tune I am very fond of Betty. Yes, it is good news for the bees so long as everyone else joins in.

      Delete
  5. I remember that song but I didn't know it was called Popcorn. It makes sense that it was. I haven't heard it in forever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The year I was talking about, one heard it everywhere Susan. I have a recording of it.

      Delete
  6. I chatted briefly with the Financial Headhoncho where I work. They're adding a large annex to the existing building so I thought it would be a good idea to mention the bees. Anyway, he patiently listened to what I had to say, (I used the Waldorf Astoria Hotel as a shining example) and he replied "we have the land but you'd need to plant certain types of flowers for that." I got a pat on the back and that was that. Should I try again, Jo? I love that Popcorn song.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Be persistent always. Thanks so much for trying anyway Spacerguy. It's a catchy tune isn't it?

      Delete
  7. Yay for bees. I hear why it's called Popcorn. Mmm, grilled asparagus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay for the bees indeed. Yup, you can definitely hear the corn popping

      Delete
  8. Woohoo for the bees. I love those little buggers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am very happy to hear this about the bees. We see one lonely bee on one of our flowers and I feel there should be more. When I read all the poison that goes into our water, etc... it is mystifying to me why it takes so long to ban this stuff. Thank you as now I have that song going through my head. When I was in school, this was played over the PA every morning and we had to exercise to this:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great start isn't it Birgit. Yay for Ontario. Oops sorry, hope it doesn't stay in your head too long.

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. Boy did you ever put that in perspective Alex.

      Delete
  11. I'm glad about the new laws coming in to protect bees. Australia works so hard to keep the diseases out and we export loads of bees overseas.
    Asparagus and melon--a match made in heaven!

    Denise :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Australia does a very good job Denise. I didn't know Australia exported bees.

      Yes, it does sound a good match.

      Delete
  12. And I never knew that song was called Popcorn. Thanks for that!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Certainly encouraging news for the bees! If there are no bees there'll be no humans as no pollination means no fruits,no food! The music brought back memories. It was around when Hank was growing up! Thanks Jo!

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right Hank. You are obviously not very old (compared to me) I was certainly grown up when we used to hear it in the Med.

      Delete
  14. Except for the killer bees that are coming up from the south. They need to go.

    haha Love the recipe! :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just make sure you don't interfere with them Melissa.

      Hope you try it.

      Delete