Thursday, June 4, 2015

Asparagus Fail, Strawberries. Windows 10, Ontario Farms.

Well, here's a dish that didn't work for me, Asparagus wrapped in prosciutto. It's easy enough, just choose fairly thick stems,
wrap prosciutto around and then roast in the oven for 5-7 mins. I did not enjoy it at all. The prosciutto turned out to be way too salt for my taste, it was almost painful to eat it. I eat a lot of prosciutto but have never cooked it like this before. Funnily enough, if one uses it to make Saltimbocca, it turns out fine, but this way, not for
me. However, an alternative is to use regular bacon and that might work although I don't think I will be trying it. Asparagus was fine
of course and I did eat the prosciutto, too expensive to just chuck away. Very disappointing. Luckily our supper ended up with fresh, local strawberries. Better than I thought they were going to be, a tad early yet. We eat them with yoghurt which makes a nice dessert.

I hate writing my blog direct to blogger. I have tried several times to get the berries pic where I wanted it, with no luck at all. Grrrr. By the way, this is recorded as being post No. 2222.

I, like many of you I'm sure, have a notification on my computers offering a free upload of Windows 10. I was thinking it may be a hoax or spam or something, however, I am assured that it is a genuine offer. However, I don't think I want to upgrade on my laptop as I have some old programmes running which are somewhat reluctant to work for Windows 7, heaven knows what would happen if I upgraded. That's one of these problems if one upgrades. There are many programmes which just fall by the wayside because they are no longer supported by their original maker. Trouble is when they are full of data, you don't want to lose them, or I don't.

On Tuesday I discovered there are 74 farmers in Ontario growing asparagus on 3,000 acres. I don't think even I could make a dent in that much asparagus. I'd have a good try of course. That is one hell of a lot of asparagus isn't it? There is a video at this link which includes footage of Tim Barrie, our local farmer.

I received a link to an asparagus omelette recipe in the comments yesterday, it made me think  of this recipe.


Asparagus and Cheese Omelette Wrap

2 eggs
1 Tbs water
1 tsp chipotle purée (optional)
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
2 Tbs chopped fresh chives or green onions
1/2 cup grated smoked cheddar or smoked mozzarella
3 spears asparagus, trimmed, cooked and diced
1 10 inch whole wheat flour tortilla

1. Beat eggs lightly with water, salt and chipotles.

2. Heat oil in a 10 inch nonstick skillet and add eggs. When eggs start to set, swish them around so that the unset top rotates to the bottom. Sprinkle with chives, cheese and asparagus. Cook a minute longer, just until cheese starts to melt.

3. Meanwhile, warm and soften torilla in a skillet (about 1 minute) or microwave about 10 seconds, or wrap in foil and heat in a 300°F oven for 10 minutes. Slide the omelette onto the tortilla and roll up. Cut in half on the diagonal for a sandwich or in slices for appetizers.

Servings: 1

Author Notes
These are great for a breakfast or brunch sandwich. You can make them ahead and wrap in foil and reheat in the oven, or you can slice them for little appetizers and serve hot or cold. Asparagus is a good low calorie source of folate and vitamin C; six spears contain 100 migrograms of folate, 25% of your recommended dietary allowance, as well as 20 milligrams of vitamin C - all for only 25 calories. Asparagus also contains fibre, important antioxidants and is a useful source of B6 and potassium

Have a great day
 

30 comments:

  1. I've had asparagus wrapped in ordinary ham before, which was very nice. Shame the prosciutto turned out so salty. As for Blogger, I click where I want the picture (it will automatically be centred) but then if you click on it you can put it on the right, left or wherever (the post will flow around it) and you can also resize it. Don't know if that helps. Probably not!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was very disappointed in the prosciutto version. I do that too Pam but sometimes it is almost impossible to get it right.

      Delete
  2. I think prosciutto is too salty to begin with, but I have made the asparagus wrapped in it and my guests loved it. I, too, have been debating the Windows 10 icon. Haven't clicked on it yet or done any research. I do allow automatic updates, but get real nervous about changing things on my computer. With three professional computer geeks in the family, guess I should ask them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well it was lucky your guests like it Denise, roasted it was almost impossible to eat in my book. I like prosciutto normally but this just didn't work. Lucky you having computer geeks in the family. Very useful.

      Delete
  3. BTW, I know getting pics where you want them in blogger is hard sometimes, but I like the cleaner look of a space between words and pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Prosciutto is tasty in small bits....I use bits of it in pasta fazool, or in salad. I don't think I've ever eaten a whole piece on it's own.

    My computer friend Glenn said that we are all eligible for the free upgrade to Windows 10 and I know some people are already using it (he is). He's supposed to upgrade me this summer. Although the other night Russell texted me that Glenn found a computer for me that he thinks I'll like much better than this Toshiba I've been having nonstop trouble with. I think it will already have Win10 on it, but I'm not sure I want to spend $600 which I just bought this one at the end of January (the first one that quit on me was $400 and was exchanged for this one, which still has issues).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use prosciutto a lot JoJo, have it for lunch many times. But roasted like this it was horrid.

      That's a lot of money to keep spending on computers. I use a Toshiba laptop which I have been pretty happy with. I think they all have issues.

      Delete
  5. Prosciutto is usually salty. You think wrapping them in bacon would be better?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, but not this salt Soumya. The baking seems to have turned them into almost pure salt. Bacon might be better. Not going to bother to try though.

      Delete
  6. That's a lot of posts.
    On the plus side, your text no longer clings to the images. It's easier to read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, I didn't know I had so much to say Alex.

      You are the second to say that so I guess I will carry on.

      Delete
  7. Asparagus and cheese omelette wrap will work well. Here's to post 2223. Heck, I've had a blog since February 2007 and I've only done 550 posts. Still, each of us has their own pace.

    Windows 10, out here on July 29. I know blogger and photos can seem to have a mind of its own. Can be most frustrating.

    Gary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gary. I seem to have a lot to say. I never thought I would ever write this much.

      Same date here for 10. Don't know whether to try it or not.

      Delete
  8. That recipe with the omelette looks very tasty. I might try it one day. I am not a fan of salty meals. I hope there has been rain lately for the asparagus farm. I'm worried about those asparagus.
    Dragon Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it does Al, I love omelettes anyway. Yup, we got rain much to the relief of the asparagus LOL.

      GMD hugs returned.

      Delete
  9. You still did a good job getting the photos in! I write my posts in word and then cut and paste them. I love fresh strawberries, and blueberries even better! Love the idea of that asparagus wrap. 2222, way to go Jo!!!! I'll never catch up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa. I was really fighting it last night though. I've never been that keen on blueberries. I like them but not as much as straw or raspberries

      Not many people blog 6/7

      Delete
  10. This sounds delicious and do-able! This will be supper tonight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope it worked OK Susan and you enjoyed it.

      Delete
  11. Local strawberries. Very nice.

    I don't have a machine that uses Windows (thank gosh), but Frankenberry does. He hasn't upgraded either. Not sure if he will or not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were very nice Ivy.

      The actual programme doesn't come out til the end of July so time to make up our minds.

      Delete
    2. I don't know if Tim will jump to 10 or not. Me, I'd likely never to get another Microsoft computer, again. I love the freedom from ANYTHING,them.

      Delete
    3. So what do you have Ivy, a Mac?

      Delete
  12. I love strawberries-love them! Your post looks good here and it just may be getting used to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Birgit. Seems like I am stuck with doing it on Blogger directly.

      Delete
  13. Pity about the prosciutto but the wraps sound yummy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it was Helen, because I like prosciutto.

      Delete
  14. Replies
    1. I seem to have a lot to blether on about Guy.

      Delete