Saturday, June 20, 2015

Saturday Recipe

OK, those of you who do not like asparagus, here is a break from the monotony. Mind you we only have a couple of weeks to go on the asparagus front.

I picked up the link for this recipe from Hershey's Kitchens, but it seems like a lot of bloggers have used it. It looks positively sinful. Of course I would use cream (preferably Double Devon) rather than ice cream but that is a matter of choice.

Hot Fudge Pudding Cake
Serves: 8 servings

Recipe adapted from Hershey's Kitchens
Ingredients
  • 1¼ cups granulated sugar, divided
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • ½ cup Hershey’s Cocoa, divided
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • ¼ teaspoon salt
  • ½ cup milk
  • ⅓ cup unsalted butter, melted
  • 1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
  • ½ cup packed brown sugar
  • 1¼ cups hot water
  • Vanilla ice cream, if desired for serving
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Heat a pot of water on the stove to very hot (just under a simmer).
  2. In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine ¾ cup of the granulated sugar, flour, ¼ cup of the cocoa, baking powder and salt. Stir in milk, melted butter and vanilla and mix until smooth.
  3. Pour the batter into an lightly greased 2-quart ceramic dish (as shown in our photos) or a 9-inch square baking pan (if it's a non-stick pan, you don't have to grease it) and spread evenly.
  4. In a small bowl, stir together the remaining ½ cup granulated sugar, brown sugar, remaining ¼ cup cocoa and mix well. Sprinkle this mixture evenly over the batter in your dish or pan. Pour the hot water over the top – but do not stir!
  5. Bake 35-40 minutes if using a glass dish (or 30-35 minutes if using a metal pan) – or until the center is almost set. Remove your dish from the oven and allow it to stand for 15 minutes.
  6. After 15 minutes, spoon the cake into individual serving bowls – making sure to spoon the fudgy sauce from the bottom of the pan over the top of the cake. Add a scoop of vanilla ice cream if desired and serve immediately.

Have a great weekend
 

26 comments:

  1. Not sure if the version of that in my Hershey's cookbook from ages ago is the same, but I remember that it tasted really good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There seem to be dozens of different versions of it Denise. Looks delicious though.

      Delete
  2. There are so many things to enjoy. One would have to forget the girth! Pity eating has to controlled! Nicely Jo!

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hank. Some people are lucky, like my husband, and can eat whatever they want.

      Delete
  3. Morning, Jo. I have asparagus on my list for today, if I venture out. I'm half dressed and ready, half in my jams.

    Happy Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Way to go Ivy. I won't be going again til Tuesday probably. Don't venture out only half dressed though.

      Delete
    2. I managed to get all the way dressed and bought two bags. Had some last night and they were delish.

      Delete
    3. Glad you made it Ivy. I usually buy about 3 lbs a week although last time I bought 4 1/2 lbs so I could freeze some. May do that again next week. I eat it every day at this time the year, Matt eats it now and again not being the fanatic I am.

      Delete
    4. I'm eating it as part of my medicine and healing foods. So I'm eating it each day until it's gone. Yum!

      Delete
    5. It is certainly appropriate for a medicine and healing tool Ivy. I am so glad you are enjoying it. Sadly the really fresh stuff will soon be gone.

      Delete
    6. But the good news is, the benefits will stay with me long after. And I can freeze some, but right now I'm stocking cherries for their medicine.

      I love how great food works. Makes me smile.

      Delete
    7. Me too Ivy. We don't have cherries yet. Fresh asparagus ends here on July 1.

      Delete
    8. Oh, no cherries yet. They have been good this year, near me. Hope you get some killer ones, too.

      Delete
  4. Looks delicious!! Chocolate is a weakness of mine so might just have to make this sometime.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks really good!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doesn't it JoJo. Don't think it counts as diet food though

      Delete
  6. I have wanted that for the longest time!! I used to have a recipe similar and lost it. We're making home made ice cream tomorrow and this is will be perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like I'd better head on over to your place Liz.

      Delete
  7. It seems to be yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Okay, this would be great after a nice helping of asparagus!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Dixie, that would make it a better balance.

      Delete
  9. How did I miss this! This sounds decadent and wonderful. I have to mark this down

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Guaranteed good for the waist Birgit, not sure in what way though.

      Delete