Monday, June 22, 2015

FHB, Velociraptor Claw

I don't know what made me think of it the other day, but I suddenly remembered FHB. Do you know what that is? When I was a youngster, and my parents invited people for a meal, I was always told we should practice it. Family Hold Back. I suppose there wasn't a lot of food and we were supposed to let the guests have plenty before we did. Never seemed reasonable to me. I always thought the family shouldn't have to do that. Funny how odd memories, like that, come to you.

Incredible,  yesterday, being Father's Day, my inbox was littered with ads for stuff for father. One ad even included a genuine velociraptor claw. It was only $12.5 K. I'm assuming that is for thousand. I immediately thought of Alex J. Cavenaugh, I though you would be bound to want one. In all honesty I cannot think of any father of my acquaintance who would want to receive a velociraptor today. I don't know of anyone in that business of course. But really, what a peculiar thing to offer amongst all the sweaters, watches and gadgets!! They say it's genuine. I can only suppose it's a joke and they are not really selling them. Surely they belong in a museum? They certainly would be a conversation piece.

Matt spoke to his daughters on the phone for father's day. It is a pity they are so far away and we are no longer able to visit England. There were obviously kids visiting their grandparents here at one point and it was rather pretty, they were blowing bubbles which were floating up past our balcony. A long time since I did that or were with kids who blew bubbles.

This was not the recipe I was going to use, I have one which is in my cookbook programme. Unfortunately, one cannot export the pictures from it (or I don't know how to) and I cannot, for the life of me, find the origin of the picture in my programme. However, this sounded pretty good.

Asian Beef Wrapped Asparagus

  • Serves: 3


A delightful east meets west appetizer.

Ingredients

1 cup grams baby asparagus (cut in half)
10 - 12 slices beef in sukiyaki cut (you can ask the meat shop for some loin have it sliced thinly)
3 tbsp light soy sauce
1-2 tbsp sesame oil
1 large clove of minced garlic
1/2 tsp grated ginger
1/3 to 1/2 tsp sugar (sweetneess depends on you)
toasted sesame seeds
Salt And Pepper
Japanese chili powder (optional)

Preparation

* Rinse the asparagus then cut in half. Remove the hard parts.

* Mix soy sauce, sesame oil, sugar, garlic, ginger, salt and pepper. Marinade the beef for at least 10 minutes.

* Wrap the beef around each three baby asparagus. Secure with a toothpick.

* Put a little sesame oil in pan, then cook both sides of the asparagus wraps for 3-5 minutes. The asparagus should not be too soggy.

* Put in a plate, remove the toothpick. Drizzle with a little bit of sesame oil, and sprinkle some toasted sesame seeds and Japanese chili powder.

Have a great day
 

29 comments:

  1. I've never heard of FHB. We were always told that guests should be served first but that didn't mean we didn't get the same amount. A velociraptor claw does seem an odd present but it might appeal to a collector, I suppose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no idea where it came from Helen. Yes, guests should be served first. I certainly find it an odd present. A hefty price though.

      Delete
  2. Funny about the serving. If you were to eat in my kitchen, I would give you food before I took it for myself. This is my way and I don't mind at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would too as a hostess Ivy, but I never quite understood the FHB principle.

      Delete
    2. True. Because I would feed my family and the others, but not always myself.

      Delete
    3. I would never miss myself out I'm afraid Ivy. Share and share alike.

      Delete
    4. Usually I am full from the smell. Even when I cook just for Tim and I. It's the way it goes and once I'm full, I can't eat. Plus, I'm not interested in eating when I'm serving. I'm interested in feeding those around me.

      Delete
  3. I've never heard of Family Hold Back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is probably an old English thing Diane. I haven't heard it since I was a child.

      Delete
  4. I also never heard of family hold back, but then again there were only 3 of us so having guests over wasn't a problem. And my parents used to entertain quite often for all their friends, my dad whipping up dish after dish in the kitchen. His 'Chinese Nights' were legendary.

    I am fairly certain selling that claw is illegal. At least it should be. Although I suppose a private collector could do what they wanted with their possessions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were only my parents and I JoJo but I am a lot older than you so it was war years or just after I am guessing.

      I wonder if it is illegal. If it were I am sure they wouldn't have offered it.

      Delete
  5. I've not heard of FHB, but that does remind me of a funny childhood story that we might blog about at one point.

    We had a friend whose mom just refused to let kids eat over. She was the richest of all of us, this friend had the biggest house, and yet while we'd be over playing all day long our friend would get hungry and his mom would bring him something like a bowl of cereal... and then she's take the rest away and tell us, "Sorry, none for you. If you want food, go home. We're not a charity." It was hilarious. So we'd either just have to run home for a snack or go hungry. Great lady, right? (Meanwhile, the other parents, including my own who were poor as hell, sure fed her kid when he was over at our houses...) FHB my behind.

    Also, I love Asian beef. And asparagus. That recipe has been bookmarked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is weird, Bryan/Brandon, but then I have often discovered that the least generous people are the richest. I guess that's why.

      Good, hope you try it.

      Delete
  6. Not sure what I would do with the claw. Might be good for home defense!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just thought it would appeal too you Alex. Just to have it sitting on your desk by your computer if nothing else. As for defense, if it worked for the velociraptor........

      Delete
  7. Sounds yummy. I do use apargus in several stir fry dishes. I'll have to try this and perhaps add a bit of wasabi instead of the Japanese chili powder. Dan will like it.

    It's amazing all the dinosaur *deal* out there taking advantage of movies like Jurassic World. Somehow, I doubt it's a real claw, probably a resin replica.

    Shame you can visit England and the daughters (and their children) anymore. That would be so hard to deal with. Glad Matt at least can talk to his daughters.

    Have a great week Jo!

    Sia McKye Over Coffee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wasabi is a good idea Sia.

      It's being touted as real, guess you would have to get it verified.

      Well you could say it was our fault for moving so far away LOL. Hope you have a great week too.

      Delete
  8. My husband would have no desire for a raptor claw but my sons would probably like one though not at that price.
    The boys visited my husband for Father's Day and two of them took him golfing. They wore him out.
    Susan Says

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't think there would be many who would want it at that price Susan.

      Glad they had fun together.

      Delete
  9. Wondering if the claw was some type of a gimmick since the new Jurassic Park movie is out. I surely don't think I would give that as a gift, LOL :)

    I do remember growing up and I taught it with my own kids to have company go first for food, but my mom always made enough for an army and instilled that into me so we always had leftovers if company was over.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I certainly wouldn't want it as a gift Betty.

      Food was very short in the UK after WWII. Probably a hang over from that.

      Delete
  10. People collect everything and I know there are some who would pay that. Yes K means thousand. I never heard of not eating as much but one has to be very poor and I feel for your mom. I do remember eating things I loved and my mom saying right out loud to leave some for the guests. It was one of the few times she would make deviled eggs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's still a funny item to add on an email including all kinds of usual items at regular prices Birgit.

      I don't think they were particularly poor Birgit. Just that rationing made it more difficult to obtain foodstuffs.

      Delete
  11. If only I had the money, then I'd totally get a velociraptor claw. I haven't heard of FHB before. I don't think my family ever got that memo. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's interesting Cherie, you are the only one who has expressed an interest in owning it.

      I seem to think it was a UK memo.

      Delete
  12. I'd love to have a raptor claw, but would not want to pay that price. Love dinosaurs! FHB never came into play in our house, but there were seldom ever seconds in a family of seven. Company never went hungry either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's two of you Yolanda. I bet you could come up with a good murder story using that claw.

      Practice if not the name perhaps.

      Delete
  13. I'm afraid I had to warn my four boys not to demolish the entire smorgasbord even when WE were the guests. It explains why we didn't get that many invitations :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must admit Pinky, I would have been reluctant to entertain all of your boys - You and Scotto fine. Never been good with youngsters.

      Delete