Monday, May 4, 2020

Weekend, Asparagus, PBS Series, Bowling,

Not a lot going on again this weekend, however, it has been sunny today, Sunday, so maybe that will help the asparagus, I hope. Tim Barrie, the farmer, has it all worked out that we will order online and then drive up and his staff, with masks and gloves, will add the bags of asparagus to our trunks. No contact. Not sure about others but I will pay by EFT.

I started watching The World on Fire when it started, about World War II. I am enjoying it. It is really well done. They have just gone through the Battle of Dunkirk which would have happened when I was Just about 1 1/2  yrs. old. It was very lucky they got any of the allied forces off those beaches. Matt doesn't remember the war at all any more. We were talking about it earlier today and he has no idea about it at all. Considering he used to watch dog fights in the skies between the English and Germans during the Battle of Britain, it surprises me he doesn't remember it. I thought it was short term memory he was supposed to lose. All I remember, as I have mentioned before, was sleeping under the stairs during an air raid. In the episode tonight there was a sequence about shell shock which, in those days, they thought was just cowardice. We eventually learned better. Terribly really, people were actually shot in earlier wars for cowardice under fire.

Tomorrow would have been our bowling banquet and prize giving. Always a fun day. I wonder when we will ever be able to bowl again. We have two alleys in our town. It has been suggested that the other one might not survive because it is not a family business which the one we go to is. I very much hope both survive. 5 pin bowling alleys are disappearing all too fast.

Came across this recipe on Saturday and decided I would have a go. Need a few ingredients like spinach and bean sprouts so it will have to be later in the week. Urvashi was the source of one of my favourite dishes, Butter Chicken in the IP, so I am sure this will be good. In case you haven't tried Gochujang yet, I bought some a couple of weeks ago and it is both sweet and spicy.

Instant Pot Korean Beef Bowl - Bibimbap

This delicious and simple Korean beef bowl, or Bibimbap, is the ultimate comfort food dish. Thanks
to your Instant Pot it's fantastically easy to make!

Bibimbap Sauce
2 Tbs Gochujang
1 Tbs Soy Sauce
1 Tbs Sesame Oil
1 Tbs Sugar
1 Tbs White Vinegar
1 tsp Minced Garlic
2 Tbs Water

Main Dish
1/2 lb Lean Ground Beef
1 Tbs Soy Sauce
1 Tbs Sesame Oil
2 tsp Minced Garlic
1 tsp Kosher Salt
1 cup Jasmine Rice, rinsed and drained
1.25 cups Water, divided
1 cup Mushrooms, sliced

Foil Packet Vegetables
1 cup Bean Sprouts
3 cups Spinach Leaves
2 cups shredded carrots
1 Tbs Sesame Oil
1/2 tsp Kosher Salt

1. In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the gochujang, soy sauce, sesame oil, sugar, vinegar, garlic, and water. Set the bowl aside.

2. In a large mixing bowl, stir together spinach leaves, sesame oil and salt. Use your hands to roughly macerate the spinach. Toss in bean sprouts and carrots and mix gently. Place vegetables on a large sheet of aluminum foil, and fold up the foil to enclose the vegetables. Close up the foil packet and set aside.

3. Select SAUTÉ/Normal on the Instant Pot. When the pot is hot, add the ground beef and break up as much as you can. Add ¼ cup of water and deglaze thoroughly allowing the water to evaporate.

4. Add in rice, soy sauce, sesame oil, garlic, and salt and stir well. Add mushrooms and water. Press CANCEL to turn the pot off.

5. Place a tall steamer rack in the pot on top of the rice. Place the foil packet on the rack.

6. Secure the lid on the pot. Close the pressure-release valve. Select MANUAL/PRESSURE COOK and set the pot at HIGH pressure for 4 minutes.

7. When cook time is complete, let the pot release pressure naturally for 10 minutes. At the end of the cooking time, use a quick release to depressurize.

8. Carefully remove and unpack the foil packet. Stir the contents of the packet into the rice, stirring gently.

9. Serve the rice with the gochujang sauce.

10. Korean Beef Bowl Tips And Tricks

11. You may also choose to reduce the ground meat to half a pound.

12. This dish is perfect with a fried egg or two on top of the rice.

13. For a meatless version, you can use Sliced Shiitake Mushrooms or large portobello mushrooms that have been sliced.

14. Dried Shiitake Mushrooms: Soak the mushrooms in hot water while you get everything else together. Drain the water, and add mushrooms along with rice. The mushrooms will finish hydrating under pressure.

15. Fresh Shiitake or Portobello: Discard the woody parts of the stem. If you’re using portobello mushrooms, use a spoon to remove the gills under the mushrooms to avoid a muddy dark color to your finished dish. Add with rice and proceed as directed

Servings: 4

Author: Urvashi
Source: Two Sleevers

Have a great day, stay safe, stay well.
 

12 comments:

  1. I will save that recipe for a night when himself needs extra cherishing/care. Thanks for that.
    And I do hope your asparagus ripens SOON. I have a wonderful risotto I like to make with the very first asparagus of the season (and peas and mushrooms).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have ordered my missing ingredients and will try it later this week I hope Sue.

      I do too, I am keeping my eye on the farm's Facebook page. We need sun badly.

      Delete
  2. I am far from knowing much at all about bowling, Jo, but it seems to me to have declined greatly in recent years. I recall that in years past large companies had teams from different departments and there was competition between them, and trophies. No one in my circle bowls, and I don't know anyone who does. In fact, until I began following your blog I was unaware that bowling alleys still exist! I hope the one you patronize does not succumb to this period of economic difficulty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We never bowled until we came to Canada David, then a colleague persuaded us to go to the one in Hespeler (we lived in Cambridge at the time) and we got hooked. They are closed down so then we went to the one in Waterloo, they are closed down, Towne Bowl have promised me they won't although they won't let me have a shirt from their alley because I had one for both Hespeler and Waterloo and look what happened. However, nobody foresaw this virus of course.

      Delete
  3. It was a beautiful weekend and I tried to get some yard work done, but, unfortunately, my spinal issues only allow me about one hour of bending over. Since the garden is down at my feet, lol, work progresses slowly.
    I started to watch The World on Fire but decided that thee were just too many plots going on. I did see a few minutes of it last night when they were walking to the beach at Dunkirk. It truly is a shame that in WWI soldiers were executed for their trauma. Just proves what idiots the human race is. To End all Wars is an excellent book that deals with WWI in Britain.
    It is odd that Matt doesn't remember the war. I thought the same as you that it was short-term memory loss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't say beautiful weekend Denise, but not bad. I am surprised you can do the bending at all - I can't. Not read that book. It is odd isn't it?

      Delete
  4. I am missing this documentary. What channel is it on?? My mom forgot a lot of her experiences of the war and she was 17 when it ended and she suffered through Hamburg and Dresden when they were bombed plus many other events. Only when I prompted her did she say, “Oh yeah, I forgot about that. Why was I there?” I decided not to push it because so many of her experiences were horrible ones and caused her PTSD. I didn’t think she had this until only in the last 20 years. I was surprised she forgot about her youth but she did. She almost always remembered my dad but there were a couple of times where her memory was foggy. No matter what, it is just sad and quite lonely. Now, I hope you can get your asparagus and where there’s a will there’s a way

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not a documentary Birgit, a Masterpiece Theatre presentation on PBS, WNED on Sunday nights. I a enjoying it.

      Maybe just as well she forgot the war then. The trouble with the asparagus is the sun, not getting to the farm LOL.

      Delete
  5. It's been so sad the number of businesses that are saying they won't be able to reopen. I wonder too when we'll ever be able to get back some kind of normal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is sad Susan, locally I am worried about the bowling alleys. My hairdresser too, it just occurred to me. The companies I would like to see unable to open are the ones belching smoke into the air.

      Delete