Tuesday, May 19, 2020

Weather, Thai Food, Appointments,

For a holiday, today was dull and rainy. I guess there are a lot of people not working anyway so it won't really matter, but like everyone else I am getting tired of this miserable weather we are having. What a rotten May. Snow and ice and now just dull grey days. I even know how to say that in Spanish LOL.

Complaining about the lack of spiciness in our food last night, Alex mentioned Thai restaurants. I hadn't thought of that. There is a Viet/Thai restaurant just down the road from us but I am not sure if they are doing take out and delivery. I need to check it out. They food is pretty good.

Tomorrow starts a series of appointments for me, including a Zoom session in the morning with the Alzheimer Group. Later in the week I have a 90 minute session on the phone with the doctor at the Geriatric Dept. in our local hospital. I can't imagine being on the phone for 90 minutes without interruption. Of course I have a friend bringing shopping, she is going to stop for a coffee this week. Easy enough to keep our social distance in this apartment. Then more appointments next week. Wish I had an appointment with a hairdresser LOL

Tonight I am being lazy again, we are having Cornish Pasties and Cole Slaw with Triple Hot Dressing. I just noticed today that I am running out of buns too so will have to go buy some more. The bakery is only just down the road from us.

For those of you who have an Instant Pot, I figured I should share the delicious brisket recipe I cooked last week. This recipe is for a 6 qt. and I only have a 3 qt of course. I posted a Beef Brisket recipe a while back but I chose this one instead.

Instant Pot Beef Brisket

Get ready to make the juiciest, most delicious Beef Brisket in your Instant Pot! In a fraction of the
time, you can enjoy this mouthwatering Beef Brisket with an incredible garlic barbecue sauce! 

4 lb beef brisket
2 Tbs olive oil
Dry Rub
2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp garlic powder
1 Tbs mustard powder
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1 1/2 tsp cumin ground
1 tsp black pepper ground
2 tsp salt
BBQ Sauce
1 cup BBQ sauce store bought
1 cup ketchup
1/4 cup honey
1 Tbs apple cider vinegar
3 cloves garlic sliced
1/4 cup brown sugar packed
1 tsp liquid smoke
1 Tbs Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup chicken broth low sodium

1. In a small bowl combine all the dry rub ingredients together and whisk well. Rub the dry rub spice mixture all over the brisket.

2. In a medium size bowl combine all the sauce ingredients together and whisk well.

3. Turn the Instant Pot to the high sauté setting. Add the oil and once your instant pot reaches the desired temperature (the timer will start to count down) add the beef brisket.

4. Sear the beef on all sides. Should take about 3 to 5 minutes per side.

5. Pour the prepared sauce over the meat. There should be enough sauce to cover the entire brisket, then close the lid. Set the Instant Pot to the Manual/High Pressure setting and set the timer to 75 minutes.

6. Once the Instant Pot cycle is complete, wait until the natural release cycle is complete, should take about 15 minutes. Remove the brisket carefully with tongs and set aside. Cover the meat with aluminum foil and let it rest for 15 minutes before slicing into it.

7. Switch the instant pot to the sauté setting again and simmer the leftover sauce until reduced by half, should take about 15 minutes. At the same time you can use a ladle to skim some of the fat that’s rising to the top. At this time, taste the sauce and season with more salt if needed.

8. Slice the brisket and serve with the BBQ sauce.

Tips
Storage: Brisket will keep fresh for 3 – 4 days in an airtight container in the fridge. To freeze just wrap the meat in plastic wrap and aluminum foil before freezing for 2 months. Just be sure to thaw overnight in the fridge before warming in the oven.


Author: Joanna Cismaru
Source: Jo Cooks

Author Notes
This is for 6 qt. pot

Have a great day, stay well, stay safe.
 

16 comments:

  1. You will have to let us know how the Zoom meeting goes. I am yet to brave it.
    I really like Thai AND Vietnames food. I am a big fan of Turkish food too. Lots of flavour in all three cuisines.
    I had a haircut last week - and feel a lot better for it. Such a simple thing, but it made a difference (not least because I can see again).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have done Zoom meetings several times now Sue, they are quite easy. Never tried Turkish food as far as I know.

      Lucky you to get a haircut.

      Delete
  2. Hi Jo - I'm avoiding zoom meetings. I love spicy food too ... and am adjusting simply at home. Haircut - I'm looking forward to mine - I guess earliest later in July! Good luck with the appointments - and the weather will change and brighten us up. All the best - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like them Hilary, nice to see people. I hope I can get a haircut before then. The weather is a big factor in our moods.

      Delete
  3. I spent 2 1/2 hours on the phone yesterday with an old friend. Thought my ear would fall off - both of them!
    Rain here seems like it will never stop. I am sick of it.
    My friends are talking about driving to Toledo, about 90 minutes away, and see if they can get a haircut.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a long time Denise, you need a speaker phone for that. No rain here today but not very bright.

      Why? Is Ohio opening their businesses?

      Delete
    2. My friend said that beauty shops were open down there.
      And I do have a speaker phone, but I do not like the sound quality.

      Delete
    3. Don't think they are here Denise, maybe I should phone and find out. You're right about the sound quality but better than hanging onto the phone for ever.

      Delete
  4. Put on your sunglasses, Jo, and look out the window. You will see a strange new phenomenon - sunshine! Yippee!!!! Miriam and I will get out and walk today, maybe tip toe around Waterloo Park. We'll have to see where our fancy takes us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a bit brighter round here David, but no real sunshine yet. Enjoy your walk.

      Delete
  5. Give that Thai restaurant a call and find out.
    What could that doctor possibly have to say that would take ninety minutes?

    ReplyDelete
  6. At least you're not going out as much. Although after a while, you just want to!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true Diane, especially as the weather is improving.

      Delete
  7. Thai food is excellent so I hope you can order from there. I am glad you have a zoom meeting which always is helpful when going through what you are dealing with. Hope the doctor helps you in every way. Soon the sun will shine and it will be too hot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I like Thai food Birgit. Yes, the Zoom meeting was good this morning, it is nice to know I am not the only one being a witch LOL. Yes, me too.

      At least it won't be dull like it has been for the last week or so.

      Delete