Saturday, May 2, 2020

Cocoon, Red Lobster, Birthday, New Zealand, Saturday,

Just watched one of my favourite movies on TCL, Cocoon. It is a space movie and it is marvellous, in my opinion. It was made in 1985 and the first time I saw it was in a collection of VHS tapes collected by friends who also owned a mobile home in NC. I was viewing and sorting at the same time. Wilford Brimley is one of my favourites along with Brian Denehey. Matt used to love it too but sadly doesn't really understand it now.

I learned one thing tonight. I decided to get some food from Red Lobster for supper tonight. It arrived a bit earlier than I expected. However, it was all packed in boxes etc. and I put Matt's stuff in front of him and grabbed my own. He was very unhappy, said he didn't know I was doing this, and he wasn't going to eat it. Followed by something of a row. He went over to his lounger and sulked. Only word I can think of that fits. I dug into my crab legs and whilst doing so, thought about it all.  Eventually I took his food and put some rice, a piece of fish and some shrimp on a plate and heated it all up. I then called him over having cleared the table his end, and he came and ate. He was, what my mother would call "overfaced". I will never do that again. If I do order from RL again, I will be sure to dish his out in a normal way. It never occurred to me before, but like I said, I know now.

Sitting in the living room I could hear a lot of noise which sounded like kids (patio window open) so I went out to look figuring I would yell something about distancing if necessary. When I got outside, turned out it was the members of a family, spaced out in families who were there to wish Gtrandma Happy Birthday. What a great idea and how nice. Just shows grumpy ol' me. Did you see on the news, New Zealand have completely eradicated C-19? Of course, they are at risk if they open their ports and airports, but they have done a fantastic job.

Laundry day again tomorrow, boy does it ever come around fast. Seems only five minutes since I was talking about it last week. I really need to get my rear end out and get myself some fizz too. Maybe in the afternoon.

I am always going on about Instant Pot Stuffed Peppers but I came across this recipe and thought it would be of interest to those of you who don't have an Instant Pot. Of course you do have to have an air fryer. I don't know if I ever cooked this recipe, but of course, the beauty of the Instant Pot is that you don't have to cook the peppers first.

Air Fryer Roasted Stuffed Peppers

2 medium green peppers, stems and seeds removed - cooked in boiling salted water for 3 minutes
½ medium onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tsp olive oil
8 oz lean ground beef
½ cup tomato sauce
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
½ tsp salt
½ tsp black pepper
4 oz cheddar cheese, shredded

1. Preheat air fryer as per directions - I used the 390 setting. If using convection toaster oven, preheat to 400 degrees.

2. Sauté the onion and garlic in the olive oil in a small nonstick skillet until golden and remove from burner to cool. Blend the beef, cooked vegetables, ¼ cup tomato sauce, Worcestershire, salt and pepper and half the shredded cheese in a medium bowl. Divide and stuff the pepper halves - top with remaining tomato sauce and cheese. Arrange in the air fryer basket (or in small Pam-sprayed baking dish) and air fry or bake until meat is cooked through - 15 to 20 minutes

Author: Susan Maria Leach
Source: Before and After

Have a great weekend, stay safe, stay healthy.
 

14 comments:

  1. Poor Matt - and poor you. Too different for him to cope with?
    New Zealand has done an amazing job. They are not completely out of the woods, but close. In January in a poll here Jacinda Adern was topped the charts for OUR Prime Minister. And if they had asked me I would have voted for her too.
    My own city/territory currently has no active cases of Covid 19. That we know of. Restrictions are s.l.o.w.l.y being lifted.
    I have never tried a dish that ambitious in our air fryer - we mostly use it to cook sides rather than the main. Very unambitious of me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too many dishes I think Sue. I am impressed with NZ and also impressed with your territory. We have cases here and they are talking about re-opening some businesses.

      I have done chicken in the Fryer, it was good.

      Delete
  2. I am sure that dealing with a person with Alzheimer's is something that can only be appreciated by the caregiver contending with these situations of one kind or another every day. Each little event has the potential to unravel, I suppose. It is a pity that you can't get away from it once in a while, just for a day even, when your own actions could be spontaneous and relatively carefree, without the constant burden of caring for another, who at times must seem worse than a difficult child. You have my greatest sympathy, Jo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you David. It is difficult. LHIN offered me 3 hours on a Thursday afternoon which was no use to me at all. Monday when I bowl would have been better. That, was before C-19 though.

      Delete
  3. New Zealand. Yes, I saw that. And did you read about Sweden not shutting down anything. Their normal procedure seems to be not to put seniors over 70 in ICU or use ventilators on them. I have a 'do not resuscitate' order on file, so I completely understand it. Did you know that our population has increased from one billion to 7.7 B since 1819? 66 million years to get to one billion - and then....
    AS for Matt, I do not know how you do it. When my boys didn't like what I cooked, I let them go hungry. I was a 'mean mom', lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Frightening how the population has exploded isn't it Denise. I told him he wouldn't get anything else whilst we were 'having words' about it. But then I figured it out and made it look less overwhelming for him.

      Delete
  4. Sounds like the grandma had fun. And Online making stuffed peppers in my air fryer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope she did in this isolation period. Prefer the IP Ivy, don't have to cook the peppers first.

      Delete
    2. I don't cook the peppers first in the air fryer. They go in stuffed and raw. Very easy and fun. But I will try them in the pressure cooker this year when my garden gives us peppers. But yeah, they go in raw. For my air fryer.

      Delete
    3. Interesting Ivy, now I think about it, I did try them once when you had told me about it. My AF isn't that big though and I could only do two at once. If I am remembering it right.

      Delete
    4. Good point. If that basket is too small. That makes sense.

      Delete
  5. I am so sorry I have not been here as much as I wanted to be. I will reread last week but I see how tough it is for you now. I’m glad you figured out how to give him Supper. You are in such a difficult ult spot right now. I’m glad you enjoyed Cocoon which is. Good movie. Brian Dennehy just past away which I am sad to say.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries Birgit, life is busy, I find I can't read blogs like I used to. I am sorry to hear Brian Dennehy passed. I didn't think he was very old, hm just Googled, he was the same age as me. I always enjoyed his performances.

      Delete
  6. I loved Cocoon when I first saw it. It was ahead of its time. The peppers I've been finding in the store are too small to be stuffed.
    You're so inspiring as a caregiver.

    ReplyDelete