Monday, May 18, 2020

Sleepless but not in Seattle, Delivery, Hair, Fireworks, Chinese,

I don't understand why some nights one just cannot get to sleep. Happened to me Saturday night and I was still tossing around at 3 a.m. with the result that I was really tired on Sunday. Luckily I had already arranged for Chinese food to be delivered for supper on Sunday so I could relax a bit. I used the same restaurant as our gift came from a couple of weeks or so ago. I am really looking forward to the day Mandarin opens again.

Talking of opening, I am now worrying about our hairdresser, I wonder if she will be able to re-open when this is all over. Hers is a fairly small and also fairly new business. Just the sort of business that is going under right now. I have managed to cut my hair reasonably well, well I ain't going nowhere!! Matt, however, will NOT let me cut his, I don't know why, he never would let me cut it, so it's not something new.

Of course, tomorrow, Monday, is Victoria Day (Queen Victoria) so some people were letting off fireworks on Saturday night. Not sure if they were doing so in Victoria Park which is where they often have big displays, but we could certainly hear the local ones. Didn't hear any fireworks Sunday night, mind you it has been dull and cloudy all day.

I ordered a Chinese meal for us from the same restaurant as our gift meal was sent. It was very enjoyable and I have a few noodles left for lunch. I have one complaint, I ordered spicy and what I got had a touch, but only a touch, of spicy but didn't qualify for that designation.

This is a new recipe from Kevin Lynch. He lives in Toronto, I wonder where he is buying his asparagus?

Orange Sesame Roast Asparagus

1 lb asparagus, trimmed
salt and pepper to taste
1 Tbs oil
1/4 cup orange sesame ginger vinaigrette
1 Tbs toasted sesame seeds

1. Toss the asparagus in the oil, salt and pepper, lay in a single layer on a baking sheet and bake in a 400F/200C oven until they start to caramelize, about 15-20 minutes, mixing half way through.

2. Toss the asparagus in the dressing and sesame seeds and enjoy!

Servings: 4

Author: Kevin Lynch
Source: Closet Cooking


Have a great day, stay well, stay safe.
 

14 comments:

  1. There is good reason so many cultures use sleep deprivation as torture. It is.
    I hope you have a better night tonight.
    I fear a lot of small businesses (and some of the bigger ones too) will go under.
    The orange sesame ginger vinaigrette sounds good - I may have to investigate further.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, I did thanks Sue. Yes, it does seem so. David Gascoigne sent me an article about local farmers - especially asparagus farmers - and their difficulties.

      Delete
    2. I thought the physicians said there is no pills or another way for PENIS ENLARGEMENT !!! I am telling you today that Dr Olu has the product for PENIS ENLARGEMENT and it worked perfectly for me from 3:0 to 8:95 and still counting. Contact Dr Olu for help to Enlarge your penis via Email Address: Drolusolutionhome@gmail.com and alo reach him on WhatsApp with mobile number: +2348140654426
      Be your brothers keeper by sharing this vital information to other fellow men around the global

      Delete
  2. Hi Jo - sleeping is so individual apparently ... take care. Hair cutting ... I'll be happy when I can get back! Sounds good not having to think about a meal. Asparagus - thank you ... I must remember to ask some friends to bring me some from the big supermarkets when they go out there ... I hope you can get some soon ... all the best - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it Hilary. Yes, but I am worried about my salon, if she can weather the storm. No fresh asparagus round here.

      Delete
  3. Our state is still in lockdown until the 28th. And since I doubt that fireworks are considered essential, those businesses should not even be open. It will be interesting to see what happens next weekend here in Michigan. Fireworks are the last thing folks with PTSD need to hear.
    Too bad about the sleep issues. I had them after I shattered my leg and slept in a chair for two months. Had to go on sleeping pills for awhile to get back to my normal eight hours a night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never thought of that Denise, not sure where they are sold round here anyway. I can get a nap in the afternoon, but somehow it is not the same.

      Delete
  4. There are so many small businesses going under around here - it's heartbreaking. So many lives destroyed.

    I haven't cut Craig's hair in years but he did ask me to do it recently as he was desperate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is heartbreaking Diane. I hope your own business is going to survive.

      Maybe Matt will get desperate in the end.

      Delete
  5. I have found that most stuff designated as spicy has been dumbed down for the general populace and barely meets the definition, Jo. You can add ingredients after the fact, of course, but it is nowhere near the flavour of having the dish cooked with appropriate spices. You are no doubt familiar with the way the Chinese name each year after an aspect of nature, well, this year - get ready for it - has been renamed "The Year of the Lost Asparagus." Might as well get used to it! Tonight we are making curried chicken for dinner, and I guarantee you that it will have the proper flavour and zing to it. We always make sufficient for two nights and the second time around is even better than the first after the flavours have all had time to get happy with each other. It's amazing what a day in the fridge will do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was dumbed down to nonexistence I think. I know I can add stuff David, but I didn't want to have to. It tasted OK, just not spicy. I haven't decided what I am doing for supper yet.

      Delete
  6. It's rare I get something really spicy. Only Thai restaurants seem to get it right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right Alex, I never thought of that. We have a Thai restaurant quite close but not sure if they are doing delivery or take out at the moment. I should check it out.

      Delete
  7. Orange sesame .. oh my, yes, that does sound good. Sorry about the heat. Hope you're able to order from the Thai place you and Alex are talking about.

    ReplyDelete