Wednesday, May 13, 2020

Computers, Visitors, Asparagus,

Bloody computers. Sorry about the language but.... I have a phone system which I have had for years and used regularly. Last week, I think, it stopped working. It wouldn't dial the numbers any more. Decided to download a newer version and that wiped out all the phone numbers I had saved. In fact I have the numbers in some form or another, but I can't get them into the programme for some reason. Then I realised I hadn't got Windows phone dialer any more so I opened that but I still can't get it to dial. Not only that, all the numbers are hidden from me at the moment. Luckily I have quite a few numbers on my house phones.  I can't decide whether it is worth calling the guy who fixes my computers or to just soldier on in the hopes I can get it to work myself. It really is a nuisance, I have the files backed up off line, also copies on my Dropbox. The only place they aren't is in the phone system itself.

This morning we had a nice surprise, a bowling friend dropped in with a coffee for me (Matt doesn't drink it) a donut each and a back full of Lindt truffles. I put on a pound just looking at them. He stopped for a bit of a chat. They are saying it is OK to visit people so long as you practice social distancing.

After lunch Kathy brought my groceries and then she and I had a long visit talking about all kinds of  things ending up swapping names of authors. I had to email ladydog as I couldn't remember a series she and I had read which we both enjoyed. I mentioned that I proof read books for one or two authors and she asked if I would proof stuff she had written. Only too delighted after all she is doing for me.

Of course, I am posting all these recipes for asparagus and I can't get any yet because of the stupid weather. The farmer told me it was going to be frosty tonight again. It's May for goodness sake. I spend all year looking forward to asparagus season and look what's happening.

Spring Pizza

Asparagus, chives and Fontina cheese top this easy pizza recipe. Serve with baby greens tossed with

vinaigrette and pecans.

3 Tbs extra-virgin olive oil, divided
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 bunch asparagus (about 1 pound)
½ cup snipped fresh chives (from 1 bunch), divided
¼ tsp salt
¼ tsp freshly ground pepper
1 lb whole-wheat pizza dough
1 cup shredded fontina or mozzarella cheese

1. Position rack in lower third of oven, place a pizza stone or large pizza pan on the rack and preheat oven to 450°F for at least 15 minutes. Meanwhile, combine 2 tablespoons oil and garlic in a small bowl; set aside. Trim asparagus spears to about 6 inches long; slice any thicker stalks in half lengthwise. Toss in a bowl with the remaining 1 tablespoon oil, ¼ cup chives, salt and pepper. Roll out dough on a lightly floured surface to about a 14-inch circle. Carefully remove the pizza stone or pan from the oven and set on a heatproof surface, such as your stovetop. Place the dough on the stone or pan and brush with the reserved garlic-oil mixture. Arrange the asparagus in a circular pattern on the dough with the tips facing out. Top with cheese and the remaining chives. Carefully return the stone or pan to the oven and bake the pizza on the lower rack until crispy and golden and the cheese is melted, about 15 minutes.

Servings: 5

Source: EatingWell


Have a great day, stay well, stay safe.
 

8 comments:

  1. Hiss and spit on the 'puter front. Wonderful when they are working and a bleeping pain when they are not.
    Other than that (and the dearth of asparagus) you day sounds pretty good. Long may that trend continue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know Sue. I used to think I was good on computers, but I seem to have dropped behind these days.

      You're right, it wasn't a bad day.

      Delete
  2. It is below freezing here again this morning. Yesterday morning there were snow crystals on the lawn, not flakes, but little clumps of icy crystals. Ridiculous.
    I spent Mother's Day with my sons and grand-kids and we are getting together on Saturday. I haven't been inside any building other than my house and my son's house since March 11.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure what the temps are here Denise, -3°C, just checked. Hopefully, as it is good and sunny here this morning, things will warm up and the asparagus won't mind getting out of bed.

      I haven't been far, but mostly to the garage. Glad you got together with your family.

      Delete
  3. This weather is even more annoying than your phone, Jo. Well, it is to me at least. I do not expect to be out birding in May with my hands getting numb holding my binoculars. I watched an Eastern Kingbird yesterday feeding on Staghorn Sumac, a sure indicator that few aerial insects are available. The only consolation is that it has been bright and sunny. As for asparagus I have no idea what to expect this year. The only stuff in the store is from Peru and it looks pretty mangy and not worth buying. Maybe I will have to settle for poutine. I'll be sure to save some for you! Bon appétit mon amie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, of course to you David. I never thought of cold weather causing a lack of aerial insects. The things I don't know!! I never, but never, buy asparagus out of season. Barrie's or nowhere. Yes, well you can give the Poutine to the birds, or foxes perhaps. Have you tried making it yourself. Buen provecco mi amigo.

      Delete
  4. Our temperatures are to soar starting tomorrow - wish I could send you that heat. Sorry you phone program is being fussy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could use a bit of NC weather Alex. I wish you could send some. Fussy is a nice word to use. Not the ones I am using personally.

      Delete