Friday, May 15, 2020

Phone.Cardiologist, Breakfast Foods, Brisket,

We have an expression in England "sod's law" which is a bit like Murphy's Law but not exactly. I would be hard put to explain the difference, but there is one. Today I left the two electronic phones in place thinking that there was nothing doing and nobody would be phoning. We have the phone that I bought for Matt which has faces on so he knows who to call and how, but there is no seat by it. Three times in the last 24 hours I have had unexpected calls where I needed to be able to sit and talk a lot or a little. Admittedly by the third call I had one of the other phones right by me. I still do and I can be almost certain I will get no more calls. Mind you another thing happens, I go into the computer room and then decide I want to make a call at which time I realise I have left the phone in the other room.

One of the phone calls was from the cardiologist's office cancelling my echo cardiogram. Which was not unexpected. I am now on a waiting list, I wonder how long that is?

I just saw something about cooking bacon perfectly in the oven every time - how do they know what everyone calls perfect? I love my bacon crisp, others don't. In my case, I use a paper plate, a double layer of paper towel, 3 slices of bacon spread out, another double paper towel and give it 3 minutes in the microwave. For me, perfect. Nice and crispy. Matt would like his less cooked than that but as he rarely eats it, I have never tried other times. I often scramble an egg in a small fry pan to go with that. I had some coconut milk left over so I used that one time, not bad. I used to have a friend, ladydog knew her, who lived in the East for a number of years and developed the habit of having very spicy things for breakfast. When I first knew her, I thought she was nuts, now I often eat spicy stuff for breakfast. Love it. I make burritos sometimes with hot sauce or gochugang which is sweet and spicy, and then cheese or ham or something, some lettuce maybe, but definitely spicy. Oh and HabaƱero cheese of course.

I cooked some brisket in my Instant Pot this evening. It was delicious. I am so please with it, I was a tad scared to cook it.

Roasted Salmon and Asparagus with Hollandaise Sauce

4 Tbs (60 mL) oil, divided
8 salmon fillets (about
2 lbs/ 1 kg)
2 lbs (1 kg) asparagus, trimmed
1 package Knorr® Hollandaise Classic Sauce Mix

1. Preheat oven to 450°F (230°C). Coat 2 rimmed baking sheets each with 1 Tbsp (15 mL) oil.

2. Arrange salmon on 1 prepared pan and asparagus on the other. Drizzle asparagus with 1 Tbsp (15 mL) oil and toss to coat; brush salmon with remaining 1 Tbsp (15 mL) oil and season, if desired, with salt and black pepper.

3. Roast 12 minutes or until fish flakes with a fork and asparagus are crisp-tender.

4. Meanwhile, prepare Knorr® Hollandaise Classic Sauce Mix according to package directions.

5. To serve, arrange asparagus on platter; top with salmon and drizzle with sauce.

Servings: 8

Tips
TIP: For a zesty twist to your Hollandaise Sauce, stir in 1 Tbsp. (15 mL) Dijon or whole grain mustard.

TIP: The salmon and asparagus are also delicious grilled instead of roasted

Source: Knorr


Have a great day, stay well, stay safe.
 

6 comments:

  1. Murphy's Law is about a lack of luck. Sod's Law (to me at least) has an element of the perversity of inanimate objects about it.
    Sigh on the phone call from your cardiologist. As you say, not unexpected, but...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds good Sue. I couldn't have described the difference. I had never heard of Murphy's law til we came here.

      I know, all being deferred, and deferred, and.....

      Delete
  2. There was an article I read about all the medical procedures that are deemed 'non-essential' that truly need to be performed but everyone is just too freaked out over this virus.
    I do my bacon in the oven and I like it crispy when I do it - but only make it about twice a year. I used to do it in the microwave and have a tray for just that purpose.
    It is raining here like the great flood and we actually have warnings up. Headed your way, I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that is the problem Denise plus the hospitals are pretty full too.

      Doing it between paper towel drains off all the fat. The tray never did the job as well.

      Raining here all night but not yet like the great flood.

      Delete
  3. We virtually never eat bacon and never have paper plates, so I can't test your theory, Jo. Miriam doesn't eat breakfast, and I have my same bowl of "boring" cereal every day. My favourite breakfast of all is dim sum. We laid over one night in Hong Kong a couple of years ago on the way back from Australia, and there was a huge selection of it for breakfast the next morning. I was in heaven! I used to go out for breakfast once in a while with a couple of my brothers-in-law but that petered out. A couple of times a year I will make scrambled eggs for myself. When the grandchildren were little and stayed over that would be good for pancakes, but once was enough! They would have eaten them three meals a day I think. A bagel and cream cheese is good too, but only with proper kosher style open fire bagels - poppy seed or sesame seed. Add some lox and the taste buds have a whole awakening! This area lacks a good Jewish deli for knishes and kishka, matzo ball soup, chopped liver and so on. When we are free to move around again, I may coax Miriam to come to Toronto with me for just such a purpose. There are a couple of spots we can do some birding and on the way home stop at an Italian bakery I know for the best ciabatta bread this side of Naples! The things we have to look forward to. In the meantime, have a good day and keep the 'phone close at hand!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love bacon David. Never eaten knishes and kishka etc. Lox is great for breakfast, I agree. Never tried dim sum for breakfast either. My dad was a great one for different breakfasts, we used to eat kippers and herrings rolled in oatmeal. Salt pork and so on, my memory fails me, it was a long time ago. Yes, I will try to. I am expecting one phone call at least today.

      Delete