Friday, May 8, 2020

Car, Delivery, Supper, Sheets, Visa,

Well it appears that it was definitely the Security System which had been triggered in my car but unfortunately it is taking a while to deal with, possibly because the garage is so fearfully busy anyway, there was some mention of taking out the steering column too. I will not be getting the car back before Friday that is for certain. As I said yesterday, I am wondering if I can claim this off insurance as there have been several break ins in the underground garage. Trouble is, nobody can say for certain that that is why the security system came on. David Gascoigne suggested I should sell the car as it would be cheaper without it, but not so convenient and would completely take away my independence.

I had planned to go to the liquor store as we were getting low, had to use the delivery company who don't charge much for delivery, but there seem to be lots of add ons, $5 for using a credit card, another couple of bucks for taxes (on what? Do the government charge taxes on services?) and so on and so on. I wonder how many people pay in cash these days?

Later we were having a drink, Matt had a second which he doesn't often, then got up from his chair at the dining table and went to his lounger. I said supper would be ready in a few minutes, he told me he had eaten enough already?? He never did have any supper. Weird. What do you do about that, damned if I know.

Tomorrow, I finally have some new sheets coming. I used to have lots of bed linens, some from our first mobile home in the States, plus what we had anyway. Somehow we got down to 2 sets and ladydog pointed out I should get some more. She was right. It has taken forever for them to arrive. I had a notice from Visa that I had been charged for them today plus another notice of an unknown charge. Having phoned Visa and then with the bank, they decided to cancel my Visa card, again, plus make enquiries. That's twice I have had my card cancelled lately. I have yet another arriving in about a week. At first they were going to cancel both cards but I persuaded them not to. Not sure why they needed to cancel both anyway.

I came across some recipes for salmon cakes made with canned salmon which I don't have, so I thought I would check fresh salmon fish cakes instead.

The best salmon fish cakes

A fail-safe recipe for a speedy fish supper - flaked salmon flavoured with parsley, dill and some
secret ingredients

450 g floury potatoes, cut into chunks
350 g salmon (about 3 fillets)
2 tsp tomato ketchup
1 tsp English mustard
zest ½ lemon. plus wedges to serve
1 heaped tbsp chopped parsley
1 heaped tbsp chopped dill
3 Tbs plain flour
1 egg, beaten
100 g dried breadcrumb
4 Tbs sunflower oil
salad, to serve

1. Place 450g floury potatoes, cut into chunks, in a pan of water, bring to the boil, cover and cook for 12-15 mins until tender. Drain and leave to steam-dry, then mash.

2. Meanwhile, season 350g salmon fillet and grill for 5-6 mins until just cooked. Cool for a few mins, then break into large flakes.

3. Mix the potato, 2 tsp tomato ketchup, 1 tsp English mustard, the zest of ½ lemon, 1 heaped tbsp chopped parsley, 1 heaped tbsp chopped dill and some seasoning. Lightly mix in the salmon, taking care not to break it up too much.

4. Shape into 4 large fish cakes.

5. Put 3 tbsp plain flour, 1 beaten egg and 100g dried breadcrumbs in 3 shallow dishes. Dip the cakes into the flour, dust off any excess, then dip in the egg, and finally coat in breadcrumbs.

6. Heat 4 tbsp sunflower oil in a large pan. Fry the cakes over a medium-low heat for 3-4 mins each side until deep golden and heated through.

7. Serve with salad and lemon wedges.

Servings: 4

Source: BBC Good Food

Have a great day, stay well, stay safe.
 

12 comments:

  1. Independence is hugely important isn't it - particularly I find when your body is letting you down (which is not entirely rational but true - perhaps because when there are an increasing number of things I can no longer do I hang on to the ones I can).
    I hope your car can be returned to you quickly.
    Sigh on yet another card cancellation. It has only happened to me once and it took an age for the replacement to arrive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right Sue, never thought of it that way. I have seen my neighbours waiting for cabs and thought "Poor them". One day, God forbid, I may have to give up driving, but not yet. I am hoping I will get it back today.

      They said 7 days!!! The last time the first card they sent got lost so they had to cancel it and send another!!

      Delete
  2. Hi Jo - I'd rather go with David's suggestion ...though completely understand your lack of independence. Not having had a car for nearly 18 months ... it's liberating and cheaper - and whenever I need to get somewhere I can take a taxi or health help ... it might be worth weighing up the costs etc ....

    Love fishcakes; enjoy the new sheets; and Matt seems very well looked after ... so an occasional lack of supper isn't going to do any damage ... bet he was hungry the next day. Take care ... and good luck with all things - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, want my independence Hilary.

      Me too. I hope they are right and the sheets arrive today. He is eating breakfast now. Doesn't seem especially hungry.

      Delete
  3. I haven't been able to drive for several years and you're right that it interferes with your independence and that's even having a husband who willingly takes me wherever I want. On the other hand once you add up the costs involved in running a car I'm pretty sure it would be just as cost effective to use taxis if it comes to that point.

    Cards are great until something goes awry, aren't they. I've been grateful that I kept my daughter as a secondary holder on one of my cards during the virus lockdown because she's been doing our shopping and can pay for it without the hassle of transferring money around. I hope your replacement doesn't take long to come.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I understand the financial side of it Helen, but even so, I want to be able to drive.

      Well we have two cards of course. Mind you the grocery store has our card number anyway.

      Delete
  4. I would call your insurance broker anyway and check whether you have coverage. Can't hurt to ask. As for Matt not eating dinner, I am quite sure that skipping one meal is not going to do any harm. I should perhaps do that myself! At least I am able to get out and walk every day, so a few of the calories get burned off. Miriam has baked frequently during this period of confinement and while the result is good we are eating too much of that rich stuff. I am shocked that you are charged $5 just for the privilege of using a credit card, but HST does apply on the delivery charge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I plan to do so. Apparently the Super has incident report numbers which I can refer to David. Luckily I rarely bake any more, can't afford all those calories. I didn't know HST was applicable but I do object to the $5.

      Delete
  5. Things may have changed, but from my 20+ years in finance I know that you cannot charge for use of a credit card unless the card company has a special agreement with the company accepting it. If your liquor stores are government run, they may just have that kind of agreement as I know our county had one for tax payments.
    Depending on your insurance deductible, and the cost of the repair, you may get coverage. Pity the garage does not have security cameras. Doubt that young snots trying to steal a car would know how to avoid them. I can get Uber rides out here in the burbs, but it takes forever sometimes for them to arrive. When my son was here a few months ago, two drivers got lost, lol.
    Matt sounds like he needs a reevaluation by a medical team. Sorry for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's the delivery company that charge for use of a credit card Denise. It's a pain though. Yes, I will get in touch with the insurance today. The super just told me they had incident report numbers. Never used Uber, but the taxis take forever.

    No point in a reevaluation Denise, he has Alzheimer's and that's it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I know they lose short-term memory, but you would think they could remember if they ate.
      No taxis around here and terrible public transit. I'd be stuck without my car.

      Delete
    2. They get very confused sometimes Denise, and I have discovered it is not just short term memory, he doesn't remember much of the past either.

      I think the public transit is OK here, but I cannot imagine waiting in the snow for a damned bus.

      Delete