Thursday, May 21, 2020

Eagles, Ramadan, Doctor,

David Gascoigne of Travels with Birds mentioned in his blog that Bald Eagles are becoming more common in this area and I know I saw a nest a couple of years or so ago at a friend's house. Tonight we saw a marvellous documentary on Nova (PBS) called Eagle Power. Even Matt thought it was a wonderful programme, it was all about eagles and their remarkable abilities. Part of the show concerned an Englishman who has a Golden Eagle called Tilly (she has been with him for 20 years) and some experiments they were doing to test her abilities. A programme worth seeing, in fact I have purchased the DVD as Matt enjoyed it so much. He said he could see it over and over again, not sure he really could, but...

Today was shopping day and Kathy picked up the goodies for me as usual. Today she came for a visit and had a coffee with us and we spent a delightful time with her. One thing she reminded me of, it is Ramadan this weekend which is an important Muslim celebration so that  the woman who has been helping with cleaning is unlikely to be able to come this Saturday. I never realised it. I mostly don't know when our holidays are these days, let alone those of other religions.

Tomorrow I have my 90 minute phone call with the doctor from the Geriatric Clinic. I must get a move on in the morning to be sure I am ready. Pity we can't do it online, much easier than holding a phone to your ear. The phone in my computer room does have a speaker on it, but not sure if that would be good enough for me to understand what the doctor is saying.

I never have tried this one although it does look good. I wonder where I could buy this kind of beef, maybe Victoria Street Market. I will have to ask them. Which reminds me, I still haven't checked the Thai restaurant about delivery or pick up.

Asparagus Beef Rolls

8 asparagus spears
1 lb shabu-shabu style thinly sliced beef
4 Tbs regular soy sauce
1/2 cup sake
2 Tbs mirin
2 Tbs sugar
Water for blanching
2 Tbs canola oil
Japanese hot mustard (karashi), optional condiment

1. Combine marinade ingredients (soy sauce, sake, mirin, and sugar) in a medium bowl and stir until mixed. Add thinly sliced beef and marinate in the refrigerator for 15 minutes.

2. Meanwhile, trim bottom of asparagus, then slice asparagus spears vertically in half or quarters, depending on the thickness of the spear. Blanch asparagus in boiling water for 2 minutes. Remove from pot and rinse with cold water. Set aside.

3. Take 2 to 3 pieces of beef and gently spread it out on a plate or cutting board. Lay 2 or 3 asparagus pieces across one edge of the sliced beef. Gently roll-up the asparagus in the beef, tucking the end under the bottom of the roll. Repeat until all the beef and asparagus have been used to make several rolls.

4. In a large pan, heat canola oil over medium heat. Add beef and asparagus rolls to the pan and sear the beef until all sides are lightly and evenly browned. Add any remaining marinade into the pan and simmer the beef and asparagus rolls together for 1 to 2 minutes.

5. Slice each beef and asparagus roll into thirds or fourths, plate, then serve with Japanese hot mustard (karashi). The rolls can also be served as is, without any hot mustard.

Servings: 4

Tips
For this recipe, either shaved beef, shabu-shabu or sukiyaki style beef may be used. It is easier to work with the sukiyaki style beef, as it does not tear as easily as the shabu-shabu style beef when wrapping the meat and vegetable rolls. I prefer the thinner shabu-shabu cut of beef for a thinner and more delicate roll, however, for a slightly heartier version I recommend using sukiyaki style beef.

Author: Judy Ung
Source: About Food


Have a great day, stay well, stay safe.
 

8 comments:

  1. Good luck with the phone conference. That is a very long time to be on the phone. I suspect I would have to take notes. Lots of notes.
    I may track that documentary down - thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My friend has suggested I should make notes beforehand as well.

      It is a fascinating documentary Sue.

      Delete
  2. The eagle program is on my DVR. Last night I watched the American Experience episode on Mr. Tornado, the Japanese engineer who mapped how tornadoes do damage. Fascinating. I never know what day it is which is why I have a clock that tells me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you will enjoy it Denise. I saw something about Mr. Tornado, don't know which programme it was on.

      Have a clock like that, bought it for Matt, but it's good for both of us.

      Delete
  3. Good morning, Jo. This morning I have two duties to perform. First of all I have to kiss you on both cheeks for mentioning my blog and enjoying the show on eagles so much, but then I have to take a big stick and beat you. They are Bald Eagles NOT Bald-headed Eagles. The latter description refers to me not the birds. I am wracking my brain trying to figure out how we could get you to see a Bald Eagle. There are two active nests close by, both with young, but neither one is especially accessible to someone with a walker. And I suppose picking you up would not be an option during the Coronavirus in any event. I once had great fun watching a Golden Eagle in Utah with a cottontail it had killed, and it was being pestered mercilessly by a couple of ravens. One would tug on its tail feather and when the eagle reacted the other would dive in and snatch a morsel or two. Then they reversed roles. The eagle finally took off carrying his prey. I hope he found a quiet spot to enjoy his lunch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who called it that David, not me LOL. I have corrected it David. My apologies to both you and the eagles. I once held a Golden Eagle on my arm when I was around 10, the owner held my arm at the time. This was at school. Maybe when I get my legs fixed if I ever do, then I can go visit the nests. I love the story of the eagle and the ravens. Clever birds.

      Delete
  4. I'd never seen a bald eagle in the wild but last year I saw TWO, one in our own neighborhood. They are huge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never seen one in the wild either Diane, well, maybe a head but so far away in its nest I couldn't be certain. Lucky you.

      Delete