Saturday, May 9, 2020

Mother's Day, Car, More Car, Helpers,

I am getting a little tired of all the emails suggesting what I should send my mother, feed my mother, etc. etc. I wish they would have notes of some kind saying this person is too old to have a mother. It is getting somewhat annoying.

Then, I phoned the insurance company this morning and they are telling me the appraiser would probably write the car off because it is an old car and the repair bill might be more than it's worth. The garage say unlikely because a) the car is in excellent condition and b) it won't be a real high cost repair. In the $3-400 range not $1,500. Now I don't know what to do. I sure can't afford a new car and I want my independence. I would hate being without one. Besides which, even if I could walk much, everywhere I want to go would be too far away and taxis take forever to come. Guess I will have to pay the damned bills myself.

Not only that I still don't have a car. I know they are particularly busy at the moment and I was not exactly booked in. So Monday is the earliest I can expect it. I am somewhat teed off at the moment and I need to get away. Not that I know where I would go, but it would be nice just to get to Victoria St. Market at least. That is another thing, if I didn't have a car, I would not be able to get to Barrie's Asparagus Farm - taking a cab there would be ridiculous - that would really upset me, in the season I go there once a week at least.

Sarah will be coming on Saturday afternoon to do some housework for me, she is a godsend as is the woman who collects my shopping. I now am the proud possessor of some new sheets so I don't have to rush to the laundry once I have stripped the beds. I can take my time. I just am staggered these women are so willing to help, I think it is wonderful.

Simple and Citrusy Asparagus Stir-Fry

The trick to this citrusy stir-fry is to get your pan roaring hot before adding the ingredients, which
brings out all of the flavors in the aromatics while keeping the asparagus beautifully bright green and crisp

1 red chile (such as Fresno or Holland), thinly sliced, seeded if you prefer less heat
2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
1 Tbs vegetable oil
1 lb asparagus, trimmed, thinly sliced on a diagonal about ¼" thick
Kosher salt
1 Tbs soy sauce
1 Tbs unsalted butter, cut into pieces
1 medium orange, halved
½ cup cilantro leaves with tender stems
1 tsp toasted white sesame seeds

1. Heat a large skillet over medium-high until hot, 3–5 minutes (a drop of water should jump around in the pan). Cook chile, garlic, and oil, stirring constantly, until oil starts to shimmer and garlic just begins to turn golden, 60–90 seconds. Immediately add asparagus; season lightly with salt. Cook, tossing occasionally, until asparagus is just beginning to brown around the edges, about 2 minutes. Add soy sauce, butter, and 1 Tbsp. water and cook, tossing constantly, until asparagus is still crispy yet cooked through and coated in sauce, about 30 seconds longer.

2. Remove pan from heat. Finely grate zest from one-quarter of orange over stir-fry. Squeeze juice from one orange half over and toss once more.

3. Transfer asparagus mixture to a platter. Top with cilantro and sesame seeds. Taste and squeeze more orange juice over if needed.

Servings: 4

Source: Bon Appétit

Have a great day, stay well, stay safe and, of course, Happy Mother's Day.
 

10 comments:

  1. That asparagus recipe sounds GOOD. I would pass on the cilantro leaves though. I really can't abide them (which I believe is a genetic thing). They taste like dirt or dirty soap to me and taint any dish they are added to.
    Hooray for help around the house - and I hope you get your car back soon.
    I am not a mother, and my own mother is long gone so I am over the recurrent ads too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is good Sue. Funny about cilantro, I have two friends who fell out with one another because one served it to the other.

      Yes, hooray and so do I. I was planning to go to the farm, but it snowed today, unbelievably, so no asparagus anyway.

      Only a couple of days now.

      Delete
  2. I'm with Elephant's Child on cilantro. UGH! And it is genetic; it is one of the question Ancestry asks in their DNA profiles.
    Anyway, I have to delete lots of emails. I even get 'helpful' ones on coping with this pandemic. Please tell me why I need to keep disinfecting my home and car if I am the only one here????
    I remember someone telling me once that some insurance is more for the company's benefit, i.e. premiums, than for anything to benefit you. But then I had a friend who was facing a $1500 car repair and decided to just buy a new car. I thought she was crazy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. funny that Denise. Interesting it is a question on DNA profiles.

      Me too and yes, of course you have to knock yourself out with disinfecting everything even if you are alone. Same with us and there are only two of us.

      I can believe that Denise. Yes, I agree she was crazy.

      Delete
  3. When we first tried cilantro we were not all that keen, but now we use it in many different dishes, and even add it to sandwiches if we have good, fresh leaves. That car is going to drive you bonkers, Jo. I can't even imagine your post if it develops new problems after they fix this one! In the meantime, dearie, take care, make sure you wash your hands thoroughly, and frequently, and don't linger with your hand on the door knob when you go outside, wear your mask, cough into your sleeves, maintain social distancing and don't kiss strange men! Apart from that, just go ahead and live your life!! Ever your devoted counsellor, David.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always like cilantro David. I need to get it back first before it can drive me bonkers. It is an old car, but it is a good car and been very reliable over the years. Oh dear, I can't kiss strange men???

      Delete
    2. I agree with Miriam David.

      Delete
  4. HI Jo,

    So sorry to hear about your car and that you can't get around as much as you'd like to do. We are all pretty much homebound these days, so you are not alone. You are very lucky to have such kind friends helping you out. I find this happening often. My neighbors have been wonderful during this crisis offering to help whenever I needed a hand. (This new/OLD house is a lot of work...especially the landscaping. And with the cold frost last night...added work.)

    Another yummy looking recipe! I'll have to try it.

    Take care of yourself and be safe...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a pain Michael, but nothing I can do unfortunately. People are marvellous though in this isolation crisis. Cold frost? We got snow.

      Anything with asparagus has got to be good.

      You too.

      Delete