Thursday, November 14, 2019

Card, Exercises, Stratford, Words for Wednesday,

Got our first Christmas Card today, a tad early, and I understand from it that I will be receiving a copy of my family tree at a later date and it is 60 pages!! It seems to have been compiled by a relative of mine who lives in Australia. I knew of his existence and that he had been working on the tree, but 60 pages! I guess he sent it to my cousin in England who is sending it to me.

Went to exercise class this afternoon, didn't fall asleep like I did on Monday. No bowling, no exercise either. Despite the inclement weather (I love that word), our instructor did turn up even if I didn't. Only three of us today, Wednesday is always quiet. One of the women is moving on Dec. 14, going into a retirement home, so Wednesday is going to be even shorter of participants. Wonder if they will end up cancelling the class. I hope not.

Today, Thursday, we are meeting a friend for lunch. She is moving to Stratford which is not that far away, but I am unlikely to see her as we don't go to Stratford - in fact have only been once as far as I recall in the 40 some years we have lived in Canada. The reason being that it is a town devoted to Shakespeare in particular and theatre in general and Matt has never been very interested in theatre for some reason. I went once with a friend, many, many years ago, and watched Twelfth Night sitting on the most uncomfortable seats I have ever encountered in a theatre. So bad in fact that it ruined my enjoyment of the play. I remember the seats more than I remember the performance. A very pretty town though. I would like to go back. Maybe I will now my friend is moving there. Of course the river running  through it is called the Avon. There are several theatres there.

Words for Wednesday as found in Elephant's Child - to add insult to injury it is already past my bedtime but now I have decided to try a small challenge. Well, nothing venturedthe object is to use one or both selections in your writing which I have now done. Maybe I will get  better as time goes by. You should be so lucky.

This is a somewhat different version of tomato soup and sounds pretty good to me. They  mention the benefits of cherry tomatoes, I wonder if that also applies to grape tomatoes which is what I buy. They are so much sweeter.

Roasted Tomato Soup

A pot of soup is the ultimate comfort food when the weather turns cold.  Chase away the November blues with our savoury roasted tomato soup recipe.  Warm and hearty, this soup is loaded with delicious, nutritious readily available ingredients.

Tomatoes are considered a superfood! This nutrient-rich plant food offers a range of benefits including: heart health, maintenance of healthy blood pressure, reduction of glucose in people with diabetes and, since they contain carotenoids such as lutein, they can help protect your eyes against the
risk of light-induced damages.

Did you know? Cherry tomatoes have a higher content of beta carotene than other tomatoes. Our bodies convert beta carotene into vitamin A which protects the cornea, or the surface of the eye.

2 ½ lbs fresh tomatoes, cored and halved (vine or cherry tomatoes)
6 to 8 garlic cloves, peeled
2 yellow onions, sliced
4 Tbs of olive oil
4 cups chicken broth (choose to make it vegetarian by using vegetable broth)
Freshly ground salt and pepper
Optional: add a splash of heavy cream and basil for a richer flavour

1. Preheat the oven to 450°F

2. Place the halved tomatoes, garlic and onions on a baking sheet. Drizzle the olive oil and generously season with salt and pepper. Roast for 25 to 30 minutes, or until caramelized.

3. Remove the tomatoes, garlic and onions and add them to a stock pot with the broth. Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer for about 15 to 20 minutes.

4. Using an immersion blender, puree the soup until the consistency is smooth.

5. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Yield: 4 to 6

Source: CARP Lifestyle

Have a great day
 

20 comments:

  1. Smiling at your use of the prompts - and a thank you for joining us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sue. Will look forward to doing this again.

      Delete
  2. I have over 6000 people in my tree and still have a long way to go. A fourth cousin in Argentine appears to be a climate scientist of some renown.
    Charlie chided me yesterday for not having any Christmas decorations outside. I told him it wasn't even Thanksgiving yet and I had my fall decorations out. I'll change my wreaths in December.
    Been to Stratford once and thoroughly enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Families do get spread out don't they Denise? Interesting about the Argentinian.

      I guess Christmas is exciting for Charlie. Can't blame him.

      Canadian Stratford, or English one?

      Delete
    2. Both actually! But I was referring to the Canadian one.

      Delete
    3. I figured you had been to the one in the UK with the amount of travelling you have done Denise. As I recall, the one in Ontario is quite a pretty town. I've never been to the original one though.

      Delete
  3. I wonder if frozen tomatoes would work? We still have some frozen cherry tomatoes in the freezer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope they still have the exercise classes. Got to keep moving to make it to 100 (says the gal who has shirked off exercise all week!).

    I think you should go back to Stratford. I would love going to the theater, but there is not much close to where I live.

    I would like to try the tomato soup. I had some fresh tomato soup at a restaurant once and it was delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think they will stop completely but might just cancel the Wed. one.

      Not likely to go to the theatre Liz, Matt was never interested, but might visit my friend.

      I have been making tomato soup for years, simple really. However this one is somewhat different.

      Delete
  5. Wow with your family tree! That is pretty impressive! I bet it will be interesting when you get it to look it over!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, I would imagine so Betty. I do know some of it, but not 60 pages worth!

      Delete
  6. That's a very impressive family tree - good that someone else is doing it. Stratford sounds lovely - I've never been to the one in England either - it's on my list of must see places one of these years but we never seem to be in the area with time to spare.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is isn't it Fil. I could never be bothered to spend the time I'm afraid. It was the same for me, was in the area once or twice but unable to go. You still have a chance LOL

      Delete
  7. I love tomatoes!
    Cool beans about the cherry.
    I didn't know they had more.
    Now I want soup!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nor me Ivy. I actually buy grape tomatoes all the time, I wonder if the same applies.

      Delete
    2. Not sure. I love organic grape tomatoes. So yum.

      Delete
  8. I would love to have a study of a family tree like that. It must have taken years to get together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so Susan, emails have been travelling round the world.

      Delete