Monday, November 4, 2019

Snow, Bowling, Cooking.

Sunday morning when I got up way too early because of the time change, I was greeted by Matt saying it had been snowing when he got up. I looked out of the window and lo and behold all the roofs I could see were white and even the grass in the park had white accumulations in some places. I guess winter is definitely here. Hopefully ladydog will be home today, (Sunday) they managed to change their flights from Chile, but still had to kill 9 hours at the airport. However, they should be home safely by now.

Monday is, of course bowling. By the way, we have ended with the Silver Wolves courtesy of one of our team members who decided wolves were better than foxes. Doesn't have quite the same ring, but I am very fond of wolves too. I do hope I bowl better than last week which was quite disastrous, especially after the previous three weeks.

Having found the following recipe I decided to give it a go on Saturday. First of all I had to defrost my lamb roast enough to cut it in half, way too big for my Instant Pot. That meant - as the author suggested - I cut the cooking time back to 40-45 minutes. I think for us, if I do this recipe again and I am sure I will, that the time should be cut back even further. The meat fell apart and I prefer my lamb to be sliceable. However, Matt liked it, he said the meat was delicious, and thinking about it, he is always complaining about meat being tough these days, particularly fillet steak, so maybe falling apart is how I should present meat to him in future. It just seemed to me a criminal way of treating leg of lamb. It was more like a pot roast. It was, however, delicious. I did end up with way too much liquid though so will have to cut some of that down next time. Also, I did all the sautée work in a frying pan. It is really much easier, as the pot is a bit too high for me anyway and the bottom surface is not very large for such preparation work. (ladydog told me she did that all the time, she might have told me). A tip I recently discovered from World Wide Recipes, is to use dry Vermouth instead of white wine. I am going to try that next time I need white wine. You don't even have to keep that in the fridge.

Greek Instant Pot Leg of Lamb

Greek-style boneless leg of lamb in the Instant Pot, fall apart tender, serve with flavorful pot juices
and Greek potatoes for Easter or any special occasion.

1   4-4½- pound boneless leg of lamb, string mesh removed
Several cloves of garlic, peeled, cut into slivers
Olive oil
Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp paprika
1 onion, peeled and quartered
1 cup dry white wine
1 ¼ cup chicken stock, preferably homemade
½ cup lemon juice from 2 to 3 lemons
7-10 sprigs thyme
3 sprigs rosemary
1 sprig oregano
2 tsp dried oregano
2 bay leaves

1. With a sharp paring knife, pierce lamb and make a hole, slip in a sliver of garlic.  Repeat and insert as many slivers of garlic as you can, evenly distributed all over the roast.

2. Drizzle the lamb with a little olive oil, season all over with the garlic powder, paprika, salt and pepper.  Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in the insert on the sauté setting until hot.  Add lamb and brown well on both sides, 4 to 5 minutes per side.

3. Remove lamb to plate.  Add onion and cook until starting to soften.  Add a couple whole cloves of peeled, smashed garlic and cook until fragrant.  Add wine and deglaze pan, stirring up any brown bits and reducing by about half.

4. Turn off sauté setting and add remaining ingredients; chicken stock, lemon juice and herbs.  Give a quick stir to combine and place lamb roast back in pot, seam side down.  The liquid should come up the sides but not completely submerge the roast, about 2¼ to 2¾ cups, add more stock or water, if needed.

5. Seal electric pressure cooker and cook on high for 90 minutes.  Let pressure release naturally for 20 minutes, then release any remaining pressure manually.  Remove lamb to cutting board, rest 10 minutes.  Strain pot juices and skim any excess fat, taste for salt and pepper.  Shred/cut lamb into slices/pieces and arrange on platter.  Surround with roasted potatoes and spoon defatted cooking liquid all over lamb and potatoes.  Enjoy!

Source: The Hungry Bluebird

Have a great day

2 comments:

  1. A wolf could take a fox.
    We're in the thirties here this morning. It went from summer to late fall in one day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, it could, the team member is from Croatia so probably knows wolves well.

      We did much the same Alex, Suddenly had to have the heat on when I have been using the A/C off and on.

      Delete