Wednesday, November 13, 2019

Camera, Shopping, Gochujang,

It's been an absolutely gorgeous day today. The park is glistening white in the sunshine. Tried to take a pic with my phone, but it looked somewhat grey and white. My camera is kaput, did I mention that before? The cover on the battery housing got broken, not sure how, but there is nobody who will or can repair it and I tried buying the cover on line, no luck. So, reluctantly, I have just ditched it. It has
taken me quite a few weeks to accept that I must throw it away. In fact, I need to throw Matt's camera away too, it is/was an excellent camera - for Matt when he was a keen photographer - but he preferred to load film and nobody uses film any more as far as I know. Matt preferred it, said he got better pix etc. he used to be very knowledgeable and interested. Not now. I just found the same camera as my old one at Amazon.com  - funnily enough Amazon.ca didn't have one - so have ordered it. It is costing me roughly $60 - I don't remember what I paid for my original one - but it is a great little camera for camera idiots like me - virtually point and shoot. Thinking about it today, my original one must be around 30 years old so I guess it doesn't owe me anything but it tees me off to have to throw it away for something so minor yet nevertheless critical.

I have just been to the store with the CSC van. One of the drivers I know best. We talk cooking and also about his kids who live up north. One in the North West Territories which is really back and beyond.

I am now the proud possessor of Gochujang Sauce which I was recommended to use in chili so, as we have leftover chili from last night, Gochujang it will get. Actually, have come across that in several different recipes. Although I probably won't find any now. I tried some of it in the chili tonight, put in about 1 Tbs but didn't notice a lot of taste difference, guess I need to find recipes and see how much one is supposed to us - unless anyone already knows, do you?

I'm always looking for vegetable stuff. A lot of what I find doesn't particularly appeal to me, but this does. Reading the distructions instructions it seems to me the first part could easily be done in the air fryer. It is certainly what I will try.

Roasted Aloo Gobi (Potatoes and Cauliflower)

This classic potato-and-cauliflower dish, ubiquitous on Indian restaurant menus, makes for a great
make-ahead party dish. You can pre-roast the vegetables, and then whenever you’re ready, throw them in the pan with your spices and onions to finish the dish in 15 minutes.

2 medium russet potatoes, cut into 2"-long sticks
1 medium head of cauliflower, cut into small florets
5 Tbs extra-virgin olive oil, divided
1 tsp cumin seeds
½ tsp ground turmeric
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 Tbs thinly sliced ginger
pinch of asafetida (optional, but really great)
pinch of red chili powder
1 tsp (or more) kosher salt
1 Tbs (or more) fresh lime juice
½ cup chopped cilantro leaves with tender stems

1. Preheat oven to 400°. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil. Toss potatoes and cauliflower with 3 Tbsp. oil on prepared sheet. Spread in an even layer and roast, tossing once halfway through, until cauliflower and potatoes are browned and slightly crisped, about 30 minutes. Let cool.

2. Meanwhile, heat remaining 2 Tbsp. oil in a large skillet over medium-high until it begins to shimmer. Add cumin and cook, stirring frequently, until they turn a medium shade of brown, about 1 minute. Reduce heat to medium and swirl in turmeric. Add onion and cook, stirring frequently, until translucent, 4–6 minutes. Add ginger, asafetida (if using), and chili powder and cook, stirring, until heated through and well combined, about 1 minute longer.

3. Stir in roasted potatoes and cauliflower, including any charred bits from the foil, and gently mix (don’t overmix, or the cauliflower will fall apart). Add salt and cook, tossing occasionally, until potatoes and cauliflower are tender (but not soggy!), 5–6 minutes. Remove from heat and add lime juice. Taste and add more lime juice or salt, if needed.

4. Transfer potatoes and cauliflower to a platter. Top with cilantro.

Servings: 4

Source: Bon Appérit

Have a great day
 

5 comments:

  1. I still think my photos from my old Minolta camera are much better than the digital ones I have taken. I have three different digital cameras and I am not crazy about any of them.

    As for Gochujang, I have only had it with Blue Apron meals. Checked my account and loved when they used it in rice. It varies in heat intensity, so check to see if it is indicated on the label.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved my digital camera Denise, but my phone and my tablet both take reasonable, if not very good, pictures.

      I will do that. In my ignorance I assumed it was all the same.

      Delete
  2. I hate having to throw things away. But when it's of no use, it's just clutter.

    I've never heard of that sauce, but chili sounds good. It's been cold here. The bad kind of cold- the kind without the pretty snow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know Liz, it's difficult to do isn't it?

      Do you get much snow in your neck of the woods, can't remember. The snow is pretty, I agree.

      Delete
  3. It hurt to get rid of my old camera that I used throughout the children growing up. Lots of great memories, but phone cameras are so good now. Good enough for what I need.

    ReplyDelete