Friday, November 29, 2019

Lost Cane, Red Lobster, Zoey, Bowling, Christmas Cards,

There are times I worry about myself. This morning we were heading out to lunch with the bowling Travel League and I realised I hadn't got my collapsible cane, or any other cane for that matter. Taken my walker down to the car. Had a quick look in the back of the car but couldn't see it. Last I remembered using it was at the supermarket cafeteria yesterday (Wed). So went there and using Matt's cane, I went to their Customer Service, no cane (at least not mine), they said they might have it somewhere else. Went there and they didn't know what Customer Service was talking about, so no cane. I went across the hallway to the pharmacy and ended up buying myself a new collapsible cane. It wasn't cheap. Used it to get back to the car and as I got into the car I saw my older one on the back seat. Must be going blind or something. Anyway, we were running late so scooted off to the Red Lobster.

Not as many of  us as usual having lunch there but actually I found the smaller group better for general communication. Matt and I ordered Caesar Salads, NOT made with romaine lettuce because of the salmonella scare. Matt had shrimp on his and I had bay scallops on mine. I actually found the salad better with Iceberg lettuce and thoroughly enjoyed it although Matt wasn't as keen. No more Iceberg Caesar for him. His favourite is Yucatan Tilapia anyway. Whilst we were eating, the General Manager (Chris) came to talk to us and I told him that I hoped they would continue to offer this option. Had quite a chat and said that Red Lobster appeared in my blog frequently. Forgot to mention that one of our waitresses referred to Matt and I as regulars. He asked about my blog and what I wrote and I said anything that I felt like talking about. I then happened to mention the Knotted Gun and asked if anyone had heard of it, one of our party had done so. Chris said he would like to read about it so gave him my card, he gave me several of his. I just remembered there were a couple of their cheddar biscuits left and we put them in a bag to bring home for Matt who can, after all, eat anything he likes without gaining an ounce. (Told you I had considered divorcing him for cruelty). But they are still in the back of the car - along with my lost cane!

Zoey is coming for a visit tomorrow which will make Matt happy. Even if she only pays attention to him for cupboard love reasons. She is bringing ladydog with her and ladydog is bringing us a Subway lunch. Ladydog has been rehearsing like mad lately and also performing in various Christmas events. Lucky she has a bit of free time tomorrow.

Matt and I bowled on our own instead of being integrated with the rest of the bowlers. We are sufficiently slow that it keeps a whole team late, and in this case it would affect two teams. I had one very good game - when it doesn't  matter a damn of course - and one mediocre. However, I have asked that they be saved for any time we are not there. I also had a donut (only reason I go to the Travel League - free coffee and a donut) and got one for Matt which was supposed to be Rudolf. It was quite cute. It has a Timbit for a nose and some chocolate horns. Matt enjoyed it although I am not sure he realised what he was eating. Actually my donut was a little bit dry. I think, perhaps, that the Tim Horton's nearest the bowling alley doesn't get a very big turnover. Matt said his Rudolf tasted fresh enough.

It was nice to see everyone, haven't done so in a while as we haven't been with the Travel League since before I got sick last year. Of course everyone was wishing everyone Merry Christmas when they parted. Doesn't even seem like Christmas yet. I even got a Christmas Card. Haven't thought about those at all yet. Mind you, I mostly send out electronic cards these days. The postage, particularly overseas, amounts to a fortune and I just can't justify spending so much any more.

I just got an email with Quick and Easy Desserts for Thanksgiving. Presumably for 2020. However, I decided a dessert would be a good idea. This one is for a Pavlova and tells you how to make the meringue. These days I would just buy one from the store, much easier, except I haven't seen them there in a while. Certainly not since they started putting in Starbucks. You know, that expensive coffee bar.

Ambrosia Pavlova

Pineapple Curd
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 tsp kosher salt
Grated zest of 1 lemon
1 large egg yolk
1/4 cup fresh pineapple juice
2 Tbs unsalted butter, melted

Meringue
1/4 cup cornstarch
1 Tbs distilled white vinegar
1 Tbs vanilla extract
1 tsp kosher salt
2 cups sugar
8 large egg whites, at room temperature
1 cup very finely ground pistachios, toasted and cooled

Topping
1/4 cup sugar
Grated zest of 2 oranges
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/2 cup unsweetened coconut milk
1 cup cold heavy cream
1 orange, peeled of its pith and cut into segments
1 grapefruit, peeled of its pith and cut into segments
1/2 cup candied cherries in syrup, such as Amarena Fabbri
Large dried coconut shavings, julienned lime zest and chopped pistachios, for serving

1. MAKE THE PINEAPPLE CURD In a small saucepan, whisk together the sugar, salt, lemon zest, and egg yolk until smooth. Add the pineapple juice and butter and stir until smooth. Bring to a simmer over medium heat, stirring constantly. Once it begins to simmer, continue to cook and stir the curd until it is thickened and coats the back of a spoon, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and let cool to room temperature. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to use.

2. MAKE THE MERINGUE Heat the oven to 350°. In a small bowl, stir together the cornstarch, vinegar, vanilla, and salt until a thick paste forms. Put the sugar and egg whites in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment and mix on low speed until smooth. Increase the speed to medium-high and beat until soft peaks form. Add the cornstarch paste to the beating egg whites and continue to beat until very stiff and glossy peaks form, about 5 minutes. Add the pistachios and, using a rubber spatula, very gently fold until evenly incorporated.

3. Trace a 9-inch circle onto a sheet of parchment paper. Flip the sheet over and transfer it to a baking sheet; spray lightly with baking spray. Pile the meringue in the center of the circle and, using an offset spatula or small rubber spatula, form it into a 9-inch disk, smoothing the top and sides. Transfer to the oven and immediately lower the oven temperature to 215°. Bake until the meringue is dried on the outside and looks set, about 1 1/2 hours. Without opening the door, turn the oven off and let the meringue sit inside until completely cooled, at least 4 hours. (The cooling process allows the meringue to dry and cool slowly enough so that it doesn’t collapse on itself.) Once cooled, gently tip the meringue onto its side and peel away the parchment paper. Carefully place the meringue on a flat cake stand or serving platter.

4. WHEN READY TO SERVE, MAKE THE WHIPPED CREAM In a food processor, combine the sugar, orange zest, salt, and coconut milk in a food processor and process until the sugar is dissolved and the zest heavily perfumes the coconut milk. Pour into a large bowl, add the cream, and whisk until stiff peaks form. Pile the whipped cream onto the center of the meringue and gently nudge it to the edge of the meringue, leaving about a 1 1/2-inch border.

5. Arrange the orange and grapefruit segments on the cream and then drizzle with some of the pineapple curd. Dot the top with cherries, coconut, lime zest, and more chopped pistachios and serve immediately.

Servings: 8

Author: Ben Mims
Source: Food and Wine

Have a great day
 

7 comments:

  1. Aren't collapsible canes wonderful? And they are sneaky devils. I am not going to admit just how often I lose mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS: Loved seeing your award from Father Dragon. I miss his presence in the blogosphere.

      Delete
    2. Yes and no Sue, the first time I unpacked one I bought from Amazon, it pinched me so badly I was bleeding for a long while. Now I have two of them although I am wondering if I shouldn't take the other one back.

      Father Dragon is part of a group I belong to and who christened me Grandma Dragon. He is still around, just not blogging.

      Delete
  2. Hi Jo - glad you got the cane scenario sorted out ... so challenging forgetting where one puts things. The Red Lobster always sounds so good - much prefer savoury to sweet ... have a happy weekend - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But I did feel something of an idiot Hilary. Red Lobster is good, I, unfortunately, like both.

      Delete
  3. Mmm, donuts. I can't remember the last time I had one. I like iceberg lettuce more than romaine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They always serve them for the Travel League Susan. Only time I ever have them. Yes, I think I agree.

      Delete