Saturday, November 2, 2019

Our Friday

One of those run around days again. I went to bed pretty late last night, reading again, and therefore got up late. Actually I wasn't overly enamoured of the book I was reading and thought I could put it down, but I was closeish to the end and eventually couldn't put it down. It  kind of seemed I had no sooner eaten  breakfast than I was eating lunch in order to get downstairs to exercise class. There was quite a crowd for our bunch. Nice to see everyone there.

Then we had to go get gin for Matt and then some bananas and sausages at Victoria St. Market. I looked at the sirloin steaks and was tempted, but for once I went in and came out with what I had intended to buy. Miracle. It is such a tempting store. Particularly the fish department.

Talking fish, we had coconut shrimp which I had bought there a week or so ago. Delicious. We ended up pigging out and ate a whole bag full. Dieting, who? They give you packets of sauce. That is very good too and complements the coconut shrimp very well.

Don't forget to change your clocks tonight. I really hope the vote to cease doing this will be carried through, it is a pain every year.

Wrote most of this earlier, but decided to Google Instant Pot leg of lamb, found a recipe which I might try tomorrow. The legs I have are way too big, would need to defrost one and cut it in half maybe. Should have bought the bigger pot after all - nah, there's only us.

This  looks and sounds really good as well as different.

Thyme Roasted Portobello, Ricotta and Cauliflower Lasagna

Lora loves pasta and likes to make her own. However, if you buy fresh pasta this becomes a much
easier dish to prepare. Make ahead of time and reheat when you want it.

½ bunch of fresh thyme
8 large portobellos, stems removed
6 cups (1.5 L) small cauliflower florets
½ cup (125 mL) olive oil
Salt and freshly ground pepper
4 cups (1 L) béchamel sauce (recipe below)
6 sheets fresh pasta dough
½ cup (125 mL) grated Parmesan cheese

1. Preheat oven too 400°F (200°C).

2. Place thyme, portobello mushrooms and cauliflower in a large bowl and toss with olive oil to coat. Arrange mushrooms, top down on a baking sheet and season with salt and pepper. Place cauliflower on same baking sheet and roast until tender, about 15 to 20 minutes. Cool and cut mushrooms into slices.

3. Reduce oven temperature to 350°F (180°C).

4. To assemble lasagna, spread ½ cup (125 mL) béchamel sauce over bottom of a buttered 9-inch (23-cm) rectangle lasagna pan. Cut pasta sheet to fit baking dish and place over sauce. Generously cover pasta with more béchamel sauce. Cover with a layer of roasted mushrooms and cauliflower florets and another sheet of pasta. Repeat until you reach the top of the baking dish (you should have 6 layers). The last layer will be a pasta sheet, covered with sauce and sprinkled with Parmesan cheese.

5. Bake lasagna until top is golden brown and sauce is bubbling, about 35 to 45 minutes. Let lasagna stand for about 20 to 30 minutes before serving.

 Source: Food and Drink

Have a great day
 

2 comments:

  1. I'm not a fan of the time change either. Or shrimp. Or exercise. Gin is good. (I had to add that so I didn't sound completely contrary.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You don't like shrimp Liz? I love them. We used to enjoy them more in NC, fresh out of the water. Now I don't like gin, I'm a Scotch girl.

      Delete