Tuesday, November 19, 2019

Bowling, Our Monday, Orkin Men

Sorry, but despite all the good wishes, I didn't bowl that well, not as appallingly badly as last time and at least I did get a few strikes and spares. I still dropped 1 point in my average which was a lot better than before. However, I enjoyed myself today. So did Matt, he had an excellent first game, 179. He used to be a very good bowler, so I guess this was shades of the past. Bowling against a team with a woman who hadn't ever bowled before this season. She is a hoot and we all had lots of laughs with her, especially when she got a mark. She was flabbergasted every time. Was quite funny. Was bowling against a friend who happens to have exactly the same bowling balls as I do. As I keep telling her, I hate bowling with her. Spend time figuring out who's balls are which. I did discover one big difference, they had been in her car and my hands froze every time I picked one up.

Forgot to mention, it was snowing this morning, or trying to. very light and almost rain. Got me worried at first.

After bowling, went to get some expensive bananas, well I went in for bananas and ended spending $44. Well, I replaced the flank steak and got some coconut shrimp - and I got bananas!!

Had to use up some peppers tonight, my excuse to make Sausages and Peppers in the Instant Pot. My current favourite dish I think. However, I do have things in my freezer I need to use.

The Orkin men are coming back in the morning so will have to get cracking. I hadn't even had breakfast when they came last time. We had overslept.

I thought this looked scrumptious - haven't made it yet, but I will.

Cauliflower Curry

This coconut-infused curry tastes fresh yet the flavors keep descending. And it’s endlessly variable:
swap in green beans, eggplant, carrots, potatoes or a mix for the cauliflower.

1 onion, chopped
3 small plum tomatoes
3 large garlic cloves
1 2 inch piece of ginger, peeled and chopped
1/4 cup coconut oil
2 tsp garam masala
1 tsp ground turmeric
1 head of cauliflower (1 1/2 pounds), cut into florets
1 long Indian green chile or Thai bird chile, sliced, plus more for serving
Kosher salt Pepper
Steamed basmati rice, plain yogurt, and lime pickle, for serving

1. In a food processor, pulse the onion, tomatoes, garlic, and ginger until a paste forms. In a large, deep skillet, heat the oil. Add the onion paste, and cook over moderately high heat,

2. stirring often, until the paste is thickened, about 10 minutes.

3. Add the garam masala and turmeric, and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the cauliflower, chile, and 2 cups of water. Season generously with salt and pepper, and bring to a boil. Cover and cook over moderately low heat until the cauliflower is just tender, about 10 minutes. Serve with rice, yogurt, lime pickle, and sliced chiles.

Servings: 4

Source: Food and Wine

Have a great day
 

14 comments:

  1. Well, glad Matt at least had a good game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He really did Alex, and he was so pleased. Pity it didn't last.

      Delete
  2. Glad to read that Matt had a good game.
    Funny about the balls. How about stickers? No good?
    The curry dish looks good.
    Garam masala is something I haven't tried yet.
    Love that you're enjoying your Instant Pot.
    So fun. I'm soon to get into my lab and make something today.
    I might go for a BBQ sauce. Not sure yet, as I have reno to do.
    That's all from my. Cheers and boogie boogie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, it was a good one. We have our initial on our balls Ivy, but you still have to roll them around to find those. I agree the curry does look good. I have to try it soon. For curry garam masala is essential. Enjoy your cooking.

      Delete
    2. I have a curry mix no salt in it. But it's not garam. But .. I think even without it, the idea of the dish can be made anyway. As in, I can take the idea and make it Hungarian-style. That's the fun of cooking! Really, I can do anything I want and still have fun and create something yummy, inspired by something else. It's the best.

      Delete
    3. Very true Ivy, I have always done stuff like that. Or I make something to recipe and maybe next time it will be quite different by the time I have finished it.

      Delete
  3. I'm glad to hear Matt bowled and had a good time. I need bananas too. I'll have to make a grocery run tomorrow.

    I'm going to visit the Instapot help page you sent me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Make a run up here then LOL.

      I hope Jacky + Amy can help - if they haven't anything on their site, you can always ask them.

      Delete
  4. I am glad you had a great time bowling and had a good laugh with that lady. It's always the case that one goes in for one item and comes out with 5

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was f un Birgit. Certainly in in Victoria St. Market, I have never known such a tempting store.

      Delete
  5. Bowling sounds like fun. I always spend more than I intended when I go to the store. I always find a few things that I forgot that I needed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is fun Sue. I only do this in the one store. I buy my regular groceries on line and build up my order all week long. Mind you I do still forget stuff.

      Delete