Monday, November 11, 2019

AI Tech, Shopping, The King and I, Supper, Charity Support,

This is the technology which allowed them to read burned scrolls from a 1,700-year-old En-Gedi Scroll which was burned down. The scroll itself looked like a lump of charcoal.



Friday afternoon we did some shopping including going to the Victoria St. Market and once again I came out with the things I went in for, I'm getting good at that.

Friday evening we watched the newest stage production, on TV, of The King and I. It was very well done. There were a couple of songs I was unfamiliar with which we enjoyed. I was really impressed with Lady Thiang, she was excellent and Matt was enthused over the voice of the girl playing Tuptim. The King was very good too but I had a little trouble understanding him a few times. At the beginning I couldn't stop thinking of Yul Brynner whom I loved in the part. Anna was also very good, in fact, I thought the whole cast was good, particularly the little children. It kept us up til midnight which is very unusual for Matt. I then went and studied Spanish, am I nuts or what? Which, of course, explains why I didn't have a Saturday blog.

Then, of course, I couldn't get to sleep with the result that Saturday I was like a zombie. I dragged myself out of bed and did the laundry, then after lunch I died for an hour or two. For supper I just defrosted some Spiced Beef in Red Wine - saved work. However, we did have a dessert from Victoria St. Market which was all chocolate and chocolate mousse as well as a plain mousse - yummy.

Sunday night I defrosted stuffed peppers so saved myself some work there too.

I should mention Hilary Melton's Blog about Invisible Women in which she mentioned Damyanti's book, You Beneath Your Skin which will be supporting charities written about by Hilary. I bought the book and started reading it yesterday. It is a quite a story and very different. I highly recommend it even though I haven't finished it yet, apart from it's charity support which is so important. Do read Hilary's Blog.

For Friday's supper, I did a kind of  mash up of my Scallop Parisienne recipe.


Scallops Parisiennes
Scallops Parisienne

1 glass dry white wine
¼ cup  water
pinch of salt
1 sprig parsley
Bayleaf
6 peppercorns
few slices of carrot and celery
1 lb scallops
1 1/2 oz butter
1 green onion
1/4 lb mushrooms
1 oz flour
¼ cup milk
1 Tbs browned breadcrumbs
a little melted butter

1. Put first 7 ingredients (wine - carrot & celery) into a pan. Bring to a boil and simmer for about 5 minutes. Strain and return liquor to the pan. Bring to the boil, add scallops and poach for two mins. Remove scallops and reserve the liquor.

2. Melt butter in a pan and add the green onion, finely sliced and the mushrooms cut into quarters. Cover and cook for about 5 mins. Draw aside and add the flour and the strained liquor from the scallops. Stir until boiling, simmer a few mins. add the milk by degrees, then reduce to a creamy consistency. Stir in the scallops.

3. Fill cocottes. Sprinkle with breadcrumbs and a little melted butter and brown quickly under the broiler. It is recommended that real butter be used.

4. Serves 2 as a main course, 6 as hors d'oeuvres.

I didn't do the court bouillon but sautéed the scallops in butter and garlic and then made a sauce in another pan with cream and stock instead and put the cooked scallops in the sauce then served it over spaghetti which I had cooked in the Instant Pot. It was accompanied by some of my frozen asparagus and was quite delicious.

Have a great day
 

4 comments:

  1. I watched Nova which talked about this scroll and was amazed at the 2 men who figured out how to read this scroll. I hope you are well. It wa crazy last week because we are now part of Toronto Credit Counselling and their ways are more “corporate” so lots of learning the new system. Oh and did an interview with John Storm at Cogeco Cable which will air in a couple of weeks. I’ll let you know when I am on:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was fascinating wasn't it Birgit.

      Hope the craziness has settled down. Will be interested to see you on TV

      Delete
  2. I will have to check out that book; always interested in helping charities if I can.

    betty

    ReplyDelete