Friday, November 1, 2019

November, Rain, TV, Gale,

I can't believe November starts tomorrow (as I'm writing) it seems this year has shot by like a rocket. Some States have already had a good dollop of the white stuff and there is talk of the same happening here in a day or so. At the moment it is still raining and on the radio, which comes from Hamilton (which is lakeside) they are talking about lots more rain and the possibility of the lakes flooding. When I think of it, Hamilton is down in a big dip anyway. I have never heard of the lakes flooding before, but nor have I listed to this station before. I guess if you get enough rain, any body of water can flood.

Meant to go bowling this afternoon but I wasn't feeling up to par so didn't go in the end.

Its an odd thing but I never liked Agatha Christie's novels when I was a young woman. However, they are showing the Hercule Poirot mysteries on TV at the moment, I have seen some of them before, and I thoroughly enjoy them. Seems strange to me. Of course she was always very popular and the Moustrap ran for years in a London theatre with everyone in the audience sworn to secrecy about the ending. Just checked, it has been running for 68 years in London and is still going. It has also been shown in theatres around the world. Quite a success. Pity she is no longer with us.

Tonight, Hallowe'en, it is bowling a gale outside our windows and just the sound makes it colder. I will be putting extra covers over my bed later.  By the way, we had Vegetable Pakoras and Pot Stickers for supper. All from the store and very good.

This sounds like an enjoyable recipe. I never buy anything but the genuine Mascapone as the stuff made in North America contains preservatives which sweeten the cheese. The Italian product doesn't although, of course, it doesn't keep as long, but has no sweetness to it's taste.

Penne with Smoked Chicken and Mascarpone

1 lb penne rigate
1/2 cup mascarpone cheese
2 Tbs sherry vinegar
1 Tbs extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 lb young green beans, cut into 1 1/2-inch lengths and blanched until al dente
1/2 lb zucchini, cut into 1 1/2 -by-1/3-inch sticks
2 shallots, thinly sliced
1 lb boneless smoked chicken breast—skinned, trimmed of fat and shredded
1/8 tsp crushed red pepper
Salt
2 Tbs minced parsley

1. In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook the penne until al dente, about 12 minutes. Drain the pasta, reserving about 1/2 cup of the cooking liquid.

2. Meanwhile, in a small nonreactive saucepan, combine the mascarpone and sherry vinegar. Cook over low heat until melted; keep warm.

3. Heat the olive oil in a large non-reactive skillet. Add the green beans and zucchini and sauté until tender and lightly browned. Stir in the shallots and cook until softened. Add the smoked chicken and crushed red pepper, season with salt and cook just until warmed through.

4. In a large bowl, toss the pasta with the vegetables and the mascarpone sauce; add some of the reserved cooking liquid if the pasta seems dry. Sprinkle with the parsley and serve.

Tips
The secret of this dish is using flavorful smoked chicken breasts.

Author: GRACE PARISI
Source: Food and Wine



Have a great day
 

2 comments:

  1. I have never watched or read much Agatha Christie either, but then, I don't read many mysteries.

    Our weather is bad too. It was so rainy, trick or treat was postponed until Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have read and enjoyed a few mysteries Liz, but not Agatha.

      Still bad weather here so hope the rain will stop for the Saturday bunch.

      Delete