Wednesday, November 27, 2019

Cake, Coffee Morning, Spanish,

The other night I scanned and emailed a document for a friend in the building and she gave me a piece of carrot cake as a reward. We had a taste that night and finished it Tuesday night for supper. I christened it Poison Cake. It was absolutely delicious and just the kind of cake I should stay well away from. I could feel the inches piling on as I ate it.

Been a pretty quiet day today, sunny weather but of course fairy cold although maybe not that cold for this time of the year. I was told it was 8°C which isn't too bad. Or as I said to ladydog, a balmy summer's day. I did my Spanish this afternoon, I am beginning to get beyond stuff  that I learned some 50 years ago. Now my brain is really working overtime.

Well, being Wednesday, I am supposed to meet some or all of the Alzheimer Group, but as I haven't had any kind of reply from any of them, I guess I could be sipping coffee all alone. I am a little annoyed that nobody has bothered to reply. If something doesn't happen I will abandon the whole thing.

Amongst the many hundreds of recipes I am getting for Thanksgiving, this is a simple little appetizer or hors d'oeuvres.

Goat Cheese-Stuffed Roasted Figs

Simple, sweet, and totally indulgent, these figs will be the talk of your party... even though they will
be the easiest appetizer to make!

12 figs
Goat Cheese
Warmed honey

1. Quarter 12 figs, cutting three-quarters of the way down. Stuff the figs with goat cheese. Roast in an oiled pan at 425° for 12 minutes, until softened. Serve drizzled with warmed honey.

Yield: 12 figs

Source: Food and Wine

Have a great day
 

14 comments:

  1. I'm not sure I've ever seen figs in my grocery store, but then I never looked.

    I hope your group shows up. Maybe no RSVP because there are no regrets?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me either Liz, I don't remember seeing them, but, as you say, I have never looked.

      Had one regret last night. One out of four!!

      Delete
  2. Carrot cake is my favorite and I thought about it for Thanksgiving, but one of my sons requested pumpkin cheesecake. Well, any cheesecake is my favorite too, lol.
    I hate it when folks do not reply to emails. My sister and her husband share an email- don't ask - and he reads my emails and then doesn't tell her and she never checks. I'd just as soon call - bshe is never home. Arrgghh, Hope your friends show. You all need support.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My favourite too Denise. Never been a big fan of cheesecake. It is infuriating when people don't reply isn't it?

      Delete
    2. I never liked cheesecake when I was growing up. That is because my grandparents always bought cheesecake in the Polish bakery. They use farmers's cheese. When I had New York style cheesecake with cream cheese I fell in love.

      Delete
    3. I don't dislike it Denise, but it isn't my favourite. Matt on the other hand loves it too.

      Delete
  3. Love that you've been learning Spanish.
    Figs, I love. I came to them later in life.
    So yummy though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am enjoying it Ivy.

      Haven't had figs in a while, must see if I can get them.

      Delete
  4. Jo Henderson! With your wicked and delicious sense of humor, I can't believe you didn't add that maybe no one came to the class because they'd all forgotten :)

    Wishing you and Matt a very happy and peaceful Thanksgiving!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's another joke Mark, my name is actually Wake. When I joined blogger they wouldn't let me use it so I used another family name. I hope they hadn't forgotten, they are the caregivers like me, not the patients LOL.

      Thanks Mark.

      Delete
  5. As a child one of my jobs was to pick up decaying figs from the ground. The birds used to have a bite or two, and then drop the fruit. Since then, figs have been on my 'off' list. I do love goats cheese though and that recipe was tempting.
    Thank you so much for joining Words for Wednesday, I really enjoyed your tale.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We used to get fresh figs off a friend's tree in NC Sue. but haven't had any for a long while. Best figs I ever had were in Greece.

      I am enjoying Words although I thought I was stumped yesterday. Maybe there is a touch of the writer in me after all.

      Delete
  6. My late mother-in-law used to always bring a fig appetizer to Thanksgiving. I can't remember what it was, but I really miss her mincemeat pies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to love figs, haven't had any in a while. Ooh, hadn't thought of mincemeat pies this year. Pity your reminded me, more food I don't need!!!

      Delete