Thursday, November 28, 2019

The Knotted Gun, Coffee Meeting, LCBO, Exercises, Scanning, Cooking,

I sometimes wonder where I have been - like today I read Viveka's post in My Guilty Pleasures and she talked about Non Violence, the Knotted Gun. Of which I had never heard.


Apparently it was originally designed as a memorial to John Lennon (one of the Beatles) who was assassinated outside his apartment. This should be everywhere in posters if not in statues. I think it is an excellent reminder of Peace. Checked with a few women in my exercise class and they had never heard of it either.

Funny how I can sit around doing damned all one day and the next it is go go go. Wednesday morning I went to my local Zehrs who owed me some sliced chicken. I sat in the cafeteria and phoned PC Express - they asked if I was going to pick it up, I said I was upstairs - he laughed and said he would bring it to  me. I then went and got a medium black coffee for $2.25 (Starbucks) and sat hoping someone would join me from the Alzheimer Society. As it happened, one person managed to turn up. We basically sat and talked cameras, he is an expert. The "new" cafeteria area is nice and they now have poinsettias on every table, but the chairs are metal and my bum was freezing.

I then went to the liquor store to get Matt some gin. Decided to get some more wine at the same time. The place is obviously stocking up for Christmas, they have masses of extra wine all over the place. That reminds me, forgot to tell you last week I went to the liquor store with the helpful young man who helped me again by getting something from the back of the store. I asked if they would take an order over the phone for me to just pick up, he assured me they would. They are very obliging at that store but it isn't the closest to me unfortunately.

When I got home I almost threw some lunch down my throat and went down to exercise class. I think I am doing a bit better these days although I hadn't been for a while.

Later my friend phoned to ask me if I could do another scan and email for her, so she came down and I did that. One benefit, I didn't have to take the dish back to her in which she had given us the cake.

I then spent a fair time in the kitchen cutting up veggies etc. etc. for supper which I am cooking in the Instant Pot.

Looking for a recipe which I think I would like to make, I came across this one from Kevin Lynch at Closet Cooking. My interest was immediately piqued when I saw the picture. However, as I have never thought much of Cottage Cheese on this continent, I figured I would use Goat Cheese.

Cottage Cheese and Egg Muffins with Ham and Cheddar Cheese

These cottage cheese and egg muffins are one of my favourite breakfasts and since I had some leftover ham I figured that it was a great opportunity to update the photos for this recipe which I originally posted back in 2008! I first came across the idea for these muffins on Kalyns Kitchen and
they reminded me of the cottage cheese muffins that my mother used to make when I was a kid so I had to make them. The primary ingredients of these muffins are the cottage cheese and eggs with a bit of flour to bind things together and from there you can add pretty much whatever you want! I particularly like the ham and cheese combo but I use other ingredients depending on what I feel like. Because of all of the moisture from the cottage cheese these muffins come out nice and light, fluffy and moist and what’s better is that with a minute in the microwave the leftovers from the fridge are just as good as freshly made so you can make a batch on the weekend and have quick breakfasts for the week. They also freeze really well so you can make them for later on when you know you will be busy. What a great way to enjoy some leftover ham, or a great reason to pick up some more ham!

1 cup cottage cheese
4 eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup flour (gluten-free for gluten-free)
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
4 oz ham, diced
1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
2 green onions, sliced

Mix the cottage cheese, eggs, flour, baking powder and salt followed by the ham, cheddar cheese and green onions, pour into a greased 12 muffin pan and bake in a preheated 400°F/200°C oven until golden brown and a toothpick poked into the centre comes out clean, about 25-30 minutes

Author: Kevin Lynch
Source: Closet Cooking

Author Notes
Instead of ham and cheese, use your favourite ingredients! (I like to add pickled jalapenos to these!)

These muffins freeze well!

Have a great day
 

5 comments:

  1. I hadn't heard of the knotted gun either - and love it.
    And thank you for that muffin recipe. I may have to try that. Soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So do I Sue. It is a splendid memorial

      I think they may be calorie loaded so be careful.

      Delete
  2. I'd never heard of the knotted gun before either. A very good symbol I think. Those muffins sound yummy. I haven't been feeling like cooking much lately but that might inspire me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well it is getting more publicity now with two blogs written about it Helen.

      Sorry you are still not up to par. Cooking is hard work, that's why I like dump and go recipes for the instant Pot

      Delete
  3. Never heard of the knotted gun either. Those muffins look really good.

    ReplyDelete