Saturday, November 23, 2019

Friday, Mandarin, Kelp, Supper,

I'm really in the wars lately, I was just heading up the hallway to put on my coat and damned me if my hip (replaced one) didn't give out and I could hardly move.  Decided couldn't go to lunch. Staggered back into computer room to email ladydog. Came out and my hip was perfect. So I then phoned her and used her husband's number instead. Got her just having got out of the shower and cancelled my previous message. What a life I am leading. I persuaded Matt to bring his walker and cross the garage with me, just in case, but everything seems OK although a tad sore.

Got to the restaurant to discover the parking lot was crowded, however, managed to get a Wheel
Chair Spot. Couldn't get our usual table because there was a huge party (Christmas?) in that room so we were shown to a different part of the restaurant. I complained because the table was "round the corner" and a longish walk to the buffet tables, particularly for Matt, the hostess wasn't too happy but one of the waiters who has been there for years, said give them what they want, satisfy the customer or words to that effect. Eventually ended up in another room and still a bit of a walk, but not as bad as the first. I phoned ladydog to tell her where we were seated. Then got my soup, hot and sour of course, yummy. Eventually ladydog arrived carrying a flowering Amaryllis. It had started flowering early apparently so she brought me my Christmas gift sooner than intended. Lovely isn't it? I've never had an Amarylis before, always admired them.

Matt had forgotten it was a buffet so we dragged him off to get his food. I then did a plate for me with lots of mussels on, they are delicious and I always eat some. Only trouble is the shells take up a lot of room. I did get some kelp salad on my plate though, I love that stuff. Dunno why I don't buy some, there is an oriental store which sells it.

I have just been doing some Spanish, think I have finally sorted out the two forms of "to be". Don't know if I ever knew them before. One is permanent ( I am Jo), the other impermanent (I am angry). However, Japanese is much more difficult because they use the same word but the intonation conveys different meanings. Western ears are not usually tuned to such nuances. Tried to learn it once, managed a few phrases here and there but that was it. More interesting learning languages from countries you know. At one time I knew a section of Spain extremely well. Also I have a very good friend in Mexico and it would be fun to write to her in her own language. Mind you her English is excellent. I don't anticipate being able to get that good in Spanish. Ain't got long enough!

Never been so stuffed as I was today after Chinese food. Usually it dissipates quickly in my experience, but not today. I couldn't have been less interested in supper. Luckily I had planned coconut shrimp so all I had to do was put them in the air fryer and open a packet of sauce. I gave Matt an bunch of grape tomatoes and then two of my shrimp (unheard of). Poor soul didn't even get dessert, I completely forgot it. Even now, at 11 p.m., I still feel full. Most unusual. Forgot to mention, in passing, I mentioned it was ladydog's birthday when being seated. Before we left they brought her a cupcake with a candle and we all sang Happy Birthday much to her embarrassment.

So, being an idiot, I set off to find a recipe to share. I went to my email programme and received the draft of Liz Seckman's latest book. I assured her I would not start reading straight away, so what do I do, get started reading. Stopped myself and closed down the PC. As I was doing so, I remembered I hadn't chosen a recipe, duuh. I am typing on my laptop and I don't have any recipes here. Actually, just remembered I have a couple. Hm, I'd forgotten this recipe, wonder if I have all the ingredients for supper tomorrow.

Crispy Lamb With Cumin, Scallions and Red Chiles

The Dongbei restaurant in Queens, makes an elegant, tender version of a popular Dongbei stir-fry of lamb with dried chilies, made fragrant and crunchy with cumin seeds — a legacy of the nomadic Mongols who long ruled Central Asia, carrying spices on horseback along with their arrows. Lamb is considered a Northern taste and excessively “strong” by many Chinese cooks; it is always cooked with powerful aromatics, like chili peppers and garlic, to subdue it.

1 Tbs egg white
1 Tbs rice wine or dry sherry
2 tsp cornstarch
1 tsp salt, more to taste
½ tsp black pepper
1 lb boneless leg of lamb or lamb shoulder, cut into strips about 1/2 inch by 2 inches
3 Tbs vegetable oil
2 Tbs cumin seeds, lightly cracked in a mortar or grinder
2 Tbs whole dried red chile peppers, about 2 inches long
4 scallions, white and green parts only, cut on diagonal into 1-inch lengths
sesame oil for seasoning

1. In a bowl combine egg white, wine, cornstarch, salt and pepper. Add lamb and set aside to marinate 1 hour.

2. Heat a large wok or skillet over high heat until a drop of water sizzles on contact. Swirl half the oil into wok and carefully add lamb, spreading it in a single layer. Let sear a moment, then stir-fry briskly just until lamb is no longer pink. Transfer to a plate. (If your wok is not large enough to hold all the lamb, do this in 2 batches, using extra oil.)

3. Swirl remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons oil into empty wok, add cumin seeds and chiles and stir-fry a few seconds until cumin seeds start to pop. Press chiles against sides of wok to char their skins.

4. Add scallions and stir-fry 1 minute. Then return lamb to wok and stir-fry 1 to 2 minutes more until lamb is cooked through. Turn off heat, sprinkle with salt and drops of sesame oil, and serve immediately.

Source: The New York Times

Have a great day
 

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Me too Ivy, thought I was going to hospital for a few minutes there.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a fun birthday dinner for your friend. I always eat too much at buffets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was Susan. I'm the same unfortunately, especially Chinese ones.

      Delete