Wednesday, January 4, 2017

Wet weather, Termites, Vascular Lab,

Here in Ontario it was a damp drizzly Tuesday. Colder because of it being damp. I don't think it ever rained very hard.

In the morning our foot nurse was here - telling her about my globe and mentioned Central America. She told me she had been to Costa Rica and how the termites built nests on the trunks of trees!!! Neither she nor I had ever heard of that. On TV one sees huge termite nests, but on the ground. Maybe because it's so tropically wet there perhaps. The nurse commented that she determined not to bring anything home made of wood.

Afternoon we went grocery shopping. So did the rest of the people in the area I think. The underground parking lot was full but in fact it wasn't too bad. I wanted some fresh spinach but couldn't find any, just occurred to me I should have checked the washed and bagged produce.

Wednesday morning is supposed to be rain as well. Lovely. Today I finally get to have my ultrasound. I am unlikely to get any results unless the surgeon happens to be there. The foot nurse told me about a friend who has a total blockage behind the knee where a stint doesn't work. She said her friend might have to have a bypass. Not sure where I have blockages now, assuming I am right, but I already have a couple of stents to deal with blood flow to my legs. Old age is not for sissies.

This weather makes me think warming meals such as soups. In fact I ended up with a bean dish. These are made in a slow cooker which makes them nice and easy and read when you are.

 Slow Cooker Chili Baked Beans

2 cup dried navy beans
1 lb ground pork
1   28 oz can diced tomatoes
2 medium onions, diced
1 green bell pepper, diced
1 red bell pepper, diced
3 clove garlic, sliced
2 Tbs chili powder
1 Tbs ground cumin
1 Tbs ground coriander
¼ cup molasses
2 serrano or jalapeno peppers (whole)
2 ½ cup chicken stock or water
salt and pepper
juice of 1 lime

1. Soak the navy beans overnight (keep refrigerated).

2. Rinse the beans and place them in a slow cooker, breaking up the ground pork, along with all the other ingredients except salt, pepper and lime juice. Set the slow cooker for a minimum of 5 hours, up to 8 hours, following manufacturer’s instructions so that it retains a gentle simmer.

3. When ready to serve, season to taste and stir in the lime juice.

Source: Food Network.ca


Have a great day
 

24 comments:

  1. One of my sons developed blood clots in his legs in his early 30's. The doctors have never been able to explain why. But, you are still right about old age. This cold or whatever is getting worse and I am off to the doctors today myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always exceptions to the rule Denise. I hope the doc can help you.

      Delete
  2. Old age is not for sissies- love that!
    And the slow cooker is my go to for cooking, as i said in a previous comment I'm not much of a cook, but the slow cooker is my friend. Recipe looks delicious!
    ~Decadent
    www.decadentkane.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not mine Decadent, it was originally said by Mae West. Always loved it though. Slow cookers are great aren't they?

      Delete
  3. Know what you mean about old age! :)
    Good luck with the ultrasound and love the idea of soup during the cold too!
    Happy 2017!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're only a youngster yet Yolanda! Ultrasound all over, now I have to wait to see the surgeon. Sure the right weather for soup round here.

      Delete
  4. I love soups and chili for cold, damp days too. Never heard of termites in trees either. I hope you get some good news on the legs. I'm finding out a little more every day that old age is only for the tough ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, good stuff for such days Susan. I wondered if the termites ate the trees where their nests are?

      Won't hear about my legs for a while I suppose.

      Delete
  5. It's been damp here. You'd think coming from Oregon, I wouldn't mind it, and normally I don't, but around Christmas grey and drizzling is not festive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know you came from Oregon Diane, how did you end up in NC? At least you don't often get cold damp days there. But you are right, nothing festive. Always remember the year we got 18 inches of snow in Bogue at Christmas. We had no coping gear or tools any more.

      Delete
  6. Love baked beans. We need to make some soon.
    I saw some show that had termites like that. They probably keep dry that way.
    Happy 2017!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, a staple of North Carolina Alex.

      Possible I guess.

      Happy NY to you too.

      Delete
  7. Old age is definitely not for sissies. You're going through all of that and meanwhile I'm just whining that it's snowing today - a whole foot! I guess things could be worse.

    I've never made baked beans in the slow cooker like that. I usually make green chili that way though, with pork, and it's so addictive that I can't go back to red chili. I just can't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm whining as well, not really snowing but blowing a gale which is loaded with snow flakes. A foot is a lot Bryan.

      Never made baked beans myself. A friend always brought them to barbecues, etc. so never had to. So where's the recipe for your green chili?

      Delete
  8. That recipe looks delicious and warming in this chilly winter!

    That's Purrfect

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Should be Patricia. Better than Heinz baked beans LOL

      Delete
  9. I hate driving around car parks looking for a spot. I can't stand crowds either. You'd think now that the season is over the crowds would have died down. Good luck with your ultrasound, Jo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well usually I don't have a lot of problem Pinky as I have a wheel chair sign. Mind you that didn't do me much good, they were all full. Ultra sound OK now for the results.

      Delete
  10. Love that Betty Davis quote:) Getting old isn't for sissies but I have faith things will work out for you. The termites in the tree make my skin crawl...yuck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always understood it was Mae West, but I know you know movies so just googled and you are, of course, right, it was Bette Davis.

      Made my skin crawl too.

      Delete
  11. I hope your ultrasound went smoothly, Jo.

    It's raining where I'm at here in the Bay Area and yes, this weather is perfect for nice warm soups.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cynthia, it did. Just got to wait for the doc now.

      I'd rather have snow than rain but soup's good any time really.

      Delete
  12. I have to admit I'm really relieved that the termites are in Central America and not in your place.

    ReplyDelete