Thursday, January 19, 2017

Wednesday

Well the 'ant man cameth'! and placed some more goop around the kitchen and put a few more traps down but whether they (the ants) bother with those or not I don't know. Turns out that the apartment across the hall has them too. I know of other people who are also bothered by the stupid things. They are absolutely tiny but persistent. Pete, the pest control guy, says they are after food of any kind. They are small as a breadcrumb.

Other than that, it has been a nothing kind of day. Cleaner came in the morning and that was it.

I am sick and tired of Trump.

You may have picked up that one of my favourite foods is Smoked Salmon (or Smoked Arctic Char) and I thought this would be a delightful way of serving it. They suggest brunch but depending on several things, you could certainly serve it as a light supper or even a Sunday breakfast perhaps.

Smoked Salmon and Egg Sandwich

This decadent sandwich would be perfect for brunch. Look for salmon that's labeled "wild Alaskan," and you can be sure you're getting sustainable seafood. You can also use soft-boiled eggs in p
lace of the poached eggs.

4 cups water
1 Tbs white vinegar
4 large eggs
1/4 cup (2 ounces) 1/3-less-fat cream cheese
2 Tbs minced red onion
1 Tbs chopped dill
3/8 tsp kosher salt
4 (1-ounce) slices whole-grain bread, toasted
1 cup fresh arugula
4 oz smoked wild salmon
1/4 tsp black pepper

1. Bring water and vinegar to a simmer in a 12-inch skillet over medium heat. Add eggs, 1 at a time; simmer 3 minutes or until desired degree of doneness.

2. Combine cheese, onion, dill, and 1/8 teaspoon salt; spread 1 tablespoon cheese mixture over each bread slice. Top each serving with 1/4 cup arugula and 1 ounce salmon. Remove eggs from pan with a slotted spoon; top each sandwich with 1 egg. Sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper.

Servings: 4

Tips
Sustainable Choice: Look for salmon that's labeled "wild Alaskan salmon," and you can be sure you're getting sustainable seafood

Source: Cooking Light

Have a great day
 

18 comments:

  1. Hi Jo - Ants are a nuisance ... remember my sugar and baking powder suggestions ... cheap and simple ...

    Love the idea of that sandwich ... looks delicious! I had some smoked trout as a birthday present - so I'm looking forward to enjoying that ... with a spinach, watercress and rocket (arugula) salad ... and yes that thick nutty slice of bread would be the best base ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hilary, I must confess I have forgotten your suggestion. At least I don't have to pay for the pest control.

      Smoked trout is delicious too. Haven't had any in a very long time.

      Delete
  2. Those tiny ants can drive you nuts. Hope what the pest guy put out works.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right Alex. I found one at bedtime last night. One's not bad though.

      Delete
  3. Interesting with the egg and salmon sandwich! Ants, the bane of our existence when they are around.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it will be delicious Betty. Must admit I don't mind ants nearly as much as I did the bed bugs.

      Delete
  4. Two of my favourite things - smoked salmon and egg!
    Even British news is full of Trump, most of it not very complimentary.
    That's Purrfect

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never tried them together Patricia. Will be an interesting combination.

      I am sure British news is full of him. Canadian news isn't that complimentary either.

      Delete
  5. I am also sick of the orange civil servant:) I keep hearing Darth Vadar's music every time I think about tomorrow. We have had those pesky ants as well. They don't like chlorine so we used to put powder all along the edge outside to prevent them from coming in (if you don't have animals).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Darth Vader eh? I am glad it's not our country, but it will affect us, no doubt.

      Chlorine Birgit, not heard of that one before.

      Delete
    2. Yup...I grew up in the country and we had ant problems so my mom sprinkled chlorine around the house and no more ant problem

      Delete
    3. Can't very well do that here Birgit, unless we sprinkle chlorine round the whole building I guess.

      Delete
  6. I think that would be perfect for Sunday breakfast. Maybe with some smashed avocado on the side too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think so too Pinky. I am sure the avocado would be a good addition.

      Delete
  7. Wasn't that the same apartment that had the bedbugs?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it was that apartment. However, the tenants have changed since then JoJo.

      Delete
  8. I hope the ant traps works. Ants are such a pest.

    ReplyDelete