Monday, January 30, 2017

Asparagus, Car,

I am always rabbiting on about the waste in store bought asparagus. On Friday I prepared 20 spears to be used in my Salmon and Asparagus dish. I even tasted some of the asparagus raw, the fresh stuff tastes delicious, this very much less so!!!


The fish turned out to be delicious but the asparagus left a LOT to be desired. I will NOT make this again until asparagus is in season. Serves me right!! I finished the asparagus the next day and even on it's own it wasn't great.

Funny bit of Trivia from How To Geek this morning "The sound of velociraptors barking at each other in Jurassic Park is actually a recording of tortoises mating".

We drive an old  car and today Matt took it in for service (9 a.m. and we both forgot) at 1:30. He comes home and says we are in trouble and had to go to a body shop. We went and it turns out we had a small hole in the driver's side floor and a large one on the passenger side - $300 cheaper than I thought it would be. You should see the guy who runs this place. Not a bit what I expected although they seem to be a fun bunch. Matt took the car in at 8 a.m. on Saturday morning. We got it back at lunchtime. Pretty good.

This recipe sounded pretty good although I would be cooking my own rice from scratch. For two of us I add 1/2 cup of basmati rice to 1 cup of boiling salted water. I cook covered on low heat for 15 mins and then let it sit - no heat - for 10 mins. Comes out perfect every time. I have never come across rice in microwaveable form.

Sticky Yakitori Chicken

Cheap as chips
 Woman's Weekly recipe Give dinner time a Japanese makeover with this classic yakitori recipe served with soft grilled spring onions and fluffy Basmati rice. The chicken is marinated in soy sauce,
sherry vinegar, honey and sesame oil for a flavoursome treat. You can have this made in just 20 minutes to satisfy hungry tummies quickly.

4 Tbs dark soy sauce
3 Tbs runny honey
2 Tbs sherry vinegar
2 tsp sesame oil
400 g mini chicken breast fillets
1 bunch spring onions, trimmed, quartered
1 tsp vegetable oil
280 g packet Basmati rice (we used Vetee Dine In)

1. Preheat the grill to high and line a grill pan with foil. Meanwhile, mix the soy sauce, honey, vinegar and sesame oil in a shallow dish.

2. Add the chicken and stir to coat completely in the soy mixture.

3. Put the chicken and marinade on the lined grill pan and grill for 5 minutes. Turn the chicken, push up one end of the pan and arrange the spring onions on the other. Drizzle with vegetable oil and cook for 5 minutes.

4. Microwave rice according to packet instructions. Serve the chicken and spring onions with the rice.

Servings: 2

Source: GoodtoKnow

Have a great day
 

17 comments:

  1. My car is going on nine years old. It is just reaching 40,000 miles. Guess I will drive it forever - as I planned when I bought it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We may not be able to drive ours forever Denise, the fenders are "going" and replacement parts for this car are hard to come by. I told the garage to start looking.

      Delete
  2. Old cars do devour money, don't they. I loved the bit about the velociraptors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do Helen, but a new one costs so much. I thought it was funny.

      Delete
  3. Recipe sounds good.
    Tortoises mating - never would've guessed.
    Does salt on the road cause your floorboards to develop holes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alex. Funny isn't it?

      I imagine so Alex, but don't know for sure.

      Delete
  4. I came to the same conclusion about asparagus after preparing some last week. It was waaaaaay too fibrous. Looked good, though. Guess I'll wait until spring to buy it again.

    My husband recently convinced me to trade in my car. It was a '99, and the first car I ever chose personally. (Bright red!) We bought it new, and I planned to drive it until the day I died. It FIT me, if you know what I mean, and I loved driving it. But it was starting to develop "issues," and he convinced me it was no longer reliable. So I'm driving a newer bigger car with lots of bells and whistles... but I still miss my little Grand Am with the manually-operated windows.

    That recipe sounds good, but I'd skip the microwave rice, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I normally buy it at a local asparagus farm in the spring Susan. First time I have bought it in a store for years.

      Yes I know what you mean about your car fitting you.

      Delete
  5. I just sank over $600 into my car, which is a 2004 with almost 140,000 miles on it. I figure that's less than 3 car payments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably JoJo. Still a lot of money to find though. We had a comptroller at one place I worked who said cars were the most expensive part of our lives, not houses.

      Delete
  6. Sorry the veggies didn't turn out and glad the car was cheaper than you thought it would be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, never again Ivy.

      So am I.

      Delete
    2. I'm excited to start seeing them come back around. Thanks to you I no longer, don't buy them. Now I enjoy them. But I must find a local farm.

      Delete
    3. Got a while to wait yet Ivy. Late April at the earliest. More likely mid May.

      Delete
  7. You had a hole in the floor? Like the Flintstones! I love to see the guy running the place. You've piqued my interest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, probably all the salt on the roads at this time of year Pinky. Wish I could describe him he really was unexpected. His original quote was $400 and I said, cheaper than I thought, he said well how about $700, I said too late Willy. Then he ended up doing a bit less and it was $300. He said he was sorry to have to do that.

      Delete
  8. Tortoises mating?? Hahahahaaaa. I remember having a large hole in the back of the car and people would lifet the pad where their feet would be and could watch the road go by:) I always made sure to tell people not to put their feet there.

    ReplyDelete